Print Thread
Hop To
#185067 05/29/2007 4:35 AM
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Hi,

We are considering using Ubb.Threads for a Scandinavian community and will therefore need to translate the forum into Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. So far so good.

But is it also possible to translate the group names and descriptions? It seems as if only the general texts can be translated. We would like everything except the individual threads and posts to be translated.

Best regards,

Jeppe Andersen

Jeppe #185069 05/29/2007 7:01 AM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Currently the group names and descriptions would be in the language for the forum - i.e. in whatever language you set them up in.

You could of course add multiple languages within the description.

Maybe adding these to the language file may be an idea for a future version, although bear in mind that posts and subjects would also remain in the language originally typed.

Ian #185071 05/29/2007 7:31 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Group Names, Forum Names/descriptions, Category Names/descriptions, and several other items, are not wordletalized and would be done according to whatever your default language is unless you wanted to add numerous names/descriptions for each item.

Last edited by Gizmo; 05/29/2007 7:32 AM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #185075 05/29/2007 7:52 AM
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Dear Ian and Gizmo,

Thank you for your quick replies.
Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are almost the same language. We all understand each other. It is a bit like the differences between spoken American, Irish and English. Therefore it wouldn't be a problem to have written posts and subjects in these languages mixed up together.

But we would like our forum to nationalized in such a way that when a Swede enters domain.se he sees an entirely Swedish forum with Danish and Norwegian visitors. And the same should go for the Danish visitor to domain.dk who should see a Danish Forum with visitors from Norway And Sweden.

Most words are spelled almost the same in the three languages but there can be small differences. Therefore we would like the group names to be translated.

Can it be done?

Best regards,
Jeppe Andersen

Jeppe #185076 05/29/2007 8:13 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Short of recoding your forum, not at the presant time.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #185077 05/29/2007 9:20 AM
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Thanks,

That's a shame. But now I know that Ubb.Threads is not what we are looking for. Thank you for taking your time answering me.

I guess we would have to either find another forum or live with this limitation.

Best regards,
Jeppe Andersen

Jeppe #185183 05/30/2007 4:16 AM
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I think the easiest solution here would be if threads allowed for multiple installations and each installation could use the same partial database.

This has been wanted by a few people, and this request is another good example.

If multiple installations on the same server could share membership database / forum structure / forum content etc, then it should be fairly straight forward to have regionalised versions of the site.

For other sites they would prefer some forums to be displayed and not others.

Ian #185241 05/30/2007 8:35 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I believe these titles are stored in the database and built with the cache, so we'd be in the same pickle... Now moving them to a language file would fix everything...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29