Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#187284 06/17/2007 8:44 AM
addict
addict
I'm wondering how many of you have experienced "Virtual Private Servers". We are currently dissatisfied with our hosting company, and somebody here (Gizmo I think) recommended this company.

At the best of times it's scary to change hosting companies, so I really want to research before making the big step.

What's been your experience with hosting companies, and have you tried the VPS's or looked into them?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Myself, Allen, and a handful of clients have utilized WebIntellects and have had positive results.

Myself I wouldn't even think of using reseller hosting; overloaded servers are a thing of the past when you're on a VPS and GUARANTEED a set of resources...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
addict
addict
Are there any downsides, Gizmo?

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
I have a reseller account with VertexHost and they aren't overloaded or overbooked. They aren't really cheap, yet they are worth it.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
We never overload our servers that we sell space to clients.

I do not believe in it.

At the most we are looking at 100-200 sites per server - but if a site is a heavy user it will be moved so as not to affect other users.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Rose
Are there any downsides, Gizmo?

Cost. A real solid provider is going to cost quite a bit. You may find some for a cheap price but almost guaranteed the service, response, etc will be poor. Unfortunately there are so many junk resellers out there that it is quite difficult to find a good provider for any type of service.

If you can afford a VPS that's great but then your business really has to pay for it as the cost out of pocket is too much to absorb (IMHO). VPS is good when you want or need more control of what actually runs and how it runs on your system too. If your site is so busy that a good shared host can't run it well then a basic VPS probably won't be able to handle it either and you'll need to get a more beefy configuration which will cost quite a bit more than the basic cost.

I'm on a Dedicated Server

Wouldn't advise it unless you have friends in unix places lol.
Can be expensive, and if your name has a "M" in it like
me its easy to break.

VPS
I'm hearing more and more positives about them.
Cheaper and support cost can be cheaper too.

I had to move from a shared host to dedicated
as they wouldn't support +100mb database frown

If your getting the recommendation's of a host from a
few people then there generally good.

Just check the min get out (Can be 6 months).

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A VPS is basically a shared dedicated server; you're given control over resources that are dedicated just for you; the only "downside" is that you're in charge of your own server upgrades, but this gives you the ability to run any build of software you want (such as bleeding edge releases of php/mysql for example)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i prefer the Dedicated vs the VPS (had both, now have Dedicated). Since making the jump from shared to VPS was more dinero, i figured going all the way wasn't too much more of a stretch and it gives the freedom i want that a VPS still restricts.

only thing to a lot of people would be the cost, but for me that isn't an issue because i just finished paying off my car and i look at it like a NET +300 bucks a month in my pocket now laugh

SD #187465 06/17/2007 11:36 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol anyone woudl prefer dedicated over VPS; dedicated resources tend to cost more too...

A decent vps would be ~$50; a decent dedi you're lookin 200-500$/mo...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Best one is CO-Located. My own server (the dedicated servers these sites offer are junk in to comparison of what I can buy/build (in the same foot print). But again that cost is really high.

Just give me the 5MB or 10MB link at my house and I'll host it wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, but again we're getting way out of context; they're looking for an affordable "now" solution, versus an extrordinary "when we have THAT much money to blow" solution wink...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well I'm about 99% sure that a hosted solution from Midphase where I've been for years will probably handle their needs for like $8 a month or if they need a little more the $12 a month offering.

But, hey as you say. Up to them.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29