Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#185687 06/04/2007 6:39 PM
Build that Community?

What's the secret? Is there one?

What's your storey ?

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Building with Moderators? I'm just starting to build mine. But, I was thinking of putting an ad in an internet magazine asking for qualified shorthand moderators. Haven't done this yet.

Building with more people? I wonder myself how other forum owners do this. My first thought, though it sounds pretty sneaky, is to take a day or two searching the internet for other shorthand blogs, forums, message boards and communities similar to mine and just start a topic post to let everyone there know another shorthand board is now open. Of course, I don't know if this is a "good person" deed thing to do or not and I might take a chance that my post would be deleted.

I don't have any other ideas right now. Sure wish I had a plan of success to share on this.

Thanks for any advice.

[Linked Image from shorthandclasses.com]
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Trixie
My first thought, though it sounds pretty sneaky, is to take a day or two searching the internet for other shorthand blogs, forums, message boards and communities similar to mine and just start a topic post to let everyone there know another shorthand board is now open. Of course, I don't know if this is a "good person" deed thing to do or not and I might take a chance that my post would be deleted.

That's how I started. smile

Also, make sure that you play close attention to all the things you have to do to improve your search engine ratings, and where your site will appear on the search list - aim for number 1 - 3. Google has everything you need to begin the search engine slog. It's worth it.

Also, make sure that a heap of relevant sites link to yours. If it's a good site, word of mouth will work fast. smile

Hi Rose, glad I wasn't totally off base. Thanks for the confirmation and additional info.

I don't know much about the search engine ratings, but with Google I'm listed on the first page so I must be okay so far.

I'm working on adding more links.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
I use a monthly trivia quiz that gets people of all ages involved.

http://www.funtrivia.com/

just make a board specific trivia group and let it rip. the quizzes run daily and the scores are taken care of by funtrivia..

at the end of the month, we post at the end of the thread, the winners and everyone cheers etc etc..

i find that when people get hooked on the trivia/day thing that it builds in other ways as to people coming out of their shells and helping in other forums..

2c

SD #189619 07/01/2007 10:29 PM
good idea. I'll look into this. smile If I can create my own shorthand trivia questions and somehow give the burden of grading to the funtrivia.com folks, I can see where this community builder might be a plus.

Thank you.

Last edited by Trixie; 07/01/2007 10:55 PM.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We run an Open IRC server (anyone is more than welcome) and have a Trivia Bot in its own little trivia channel (#Trivia).

If you're interested in joining, I have a Java IRC Client addon at UBBDev wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #189628 07/01/2007 11:03 PM
Sounds good except I'm not sure what I'd be joining. What's an Open IRC Server and would your Trivia Bot allow me to create a shorthand trivia channel?

I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions. Maybe the right question is, "What exactly would I be joining?." Also, do you think it would help me in starting a Shorthand Trivia Forum?

Thanks Gizmo. I know I ask a lot of questions. Bye now.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
IRC is a chat service, like AIM or Yahoo, or ICQ; it's one of the oldest chat services on the internet.

An IRC CLient allows you to join an IRC Server; the pJIRC addon at UBBDev is a way to integrate an IRC Server into your forum.

You can set the addon to allow you to join any server (there are millions, see SearchIRC for an example)

The Trivia channel is simply a channel on the chat server, which is geared towards trivia games; I plan to introduce other options in the future on the server as well.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah IRC has some good stuff, but dang between bots and idiot kids that think swear words should be used for every 5 words of other content it has way too many useless channels. Finding a good channel is the key I thin otherwise you'd probably be turned off by it.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well NT, that's why you choose a provider whos network isn't full of idiots; and you restrict your users to channels you want them in... And yes, my pJIRC addon has a section to restrict what commands your users can use, and what channels they may join...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, that's great actually that you do that Giz, just saying that most don't seem to. Most are wild wild west with it

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol we're millitant, if you can't act like an adult on our network you'll wake up to your netblock banned :x...

Gizmo #189722 07/02/2007 12:55 PM
old hand
old hand
Posting on other similar boards is a scum bag move and really irks me! I can't believe anyone here would advocate or look past this kind of behavior.

You know full well the many hours you put into your site. How would you feel if someone came along and put up that kind of post on your board?

The answer to the original question?

Build it and they will come.

Come up with a niche site/community that isn't out there already.

In my case, it's a fishing board focused on one state.

Or, if it's out there already, do it better than the other guy.

When it comes time to promoting your site, use ethical means. In the end, you'll be far better off.

Also, there is nothing more powerful than word of mouth. Keep focusing on making your community good, and the members will help do the promotion work for you.

Finally, think in terms of months and years, not days and weeks when you want to build your community.

addict
addict
Posting on other similar boards is a scum bag move and really irks me! I can't believe anyone here would advocate or look past this kind of behavior.

I guess I must be a scum bag then.

P.S. I did request permission first - forums in my genre all get along well together - we even promote each other's sites. Just in case you wanted to know. smile

old hand
old hand
Requesting permission is obviously the right and smart way to go about it. Glad to hear it.

So, no, you obviously don't fall into the scum bag category.

I'm talking about people who don't take your approach.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I've seen some really low moves made by others to drum up support for their sites. Posting on other sites without permission is the lowest in my book.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
<snicker> we're a tech community that's been around since 95; if I where to take that approach I demand slashdot not exist! </end nonsense rant>

old hand
old hand
LOL. I think you know what I mean. I'm talking about one niche site trying to promote itself on another niche site.

Anyway, back to the first post on this thread and the part about moderators. Unless the person is well known to a certain audience or field and contributes content, I don't think people care who moderates, as long as they are fair.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Mitch P.
I'm talking about people who don't take your approach.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I've seen some really low moves made by others to drum up support for their sites. Posting on other sites without permission is the lowest in my book.

I know what you mean Mitch - it's happened to me.
They got quite aggressive on my site and started telling my members why they shouldn't use my site and go to theirs.

They ended up making fools of themselves in the end though laugh

But they did get a lot of people visit them by spamming members with PMs!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by driv
But they did get a lot of people visit them by spamming members with PMs!
This is why I wanted a "report spam" button in the pm system (see feature requests) whereby when the button is clicked the pm is opened to admin's to check the pm for spam without having to listen to acquizations or just not ever hear about issues...

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
acquizations <-- huh ? :shrug:

/me googles... google has no clue

it's a new language !! laugh

SD #189840 07/03/2007 3:51 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
It's ackoo-zishuns actually wink

isn't it in that urban dictionary ?

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
dunno if it is, but that word would be more of what i'd expect from um.. Saturday Night Live, Eddie Murphy... [censored]

Linky Poo <- example

laugh

ps: love you giz. nothing personal wink

SD #189903 07/04/2007 1:06 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
What 'chu talkin 'bout willis?

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I just checked my email and found this...
Hello, ****!
We've noticed that you've not been active on ****.com for quite some time now, and we miss you!

Could we not tempt you back?

If you don't remember your password, you can request it here: http://****.com/forums/login.php?do=lostpw
We hope to see you soon

Kindest Regards
http://****.com

Now that's a good way to prompt someone to come back and keep the community strong, isn't it.

veteran
veteran
So, are you going back then?

I would be OK with that if you could edit it. It's a bit too mushy for my liking (miss you, tempt you, hope to see you soon, YUK! ) and probably isn't suitable for some sites.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yo DORK - we noticed you've been slacking off again. Get your butt back here now before we have to delete your frickin account.

Is that a bit more to your liking ? wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We've been talking about ways to get members back to your site; step one that made it into 7.2 is the birthday reminders; I'm pushing for an "auto" reminder for inactive members after a set period of time...

I'm not sure if I posted here about the differant ideas though

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ahhh, found it here

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So the more tersely phrased letter might not make it into the core code? frown

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ntdoc
Yo DORK - we noticed you've been slacking off again. Get your butt back here now before we have to delete your frickin account.

Still a bit mushy. Needs more work.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
LOL - Well being in the UK and one of the Countries fastly approaching 1984 Police State - I don't think you will be allowed to talk to people like that. crazy

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper

Still a bit mushy. Needs more work.

Ahh hah hah - yep you are correct.
But I suspect it's a female-run forum. (nursing an' stuff.)

veteran
veteran
So, are you a nurse then?

veteran
veteran
LOL - Well being in the UK and one of the Countries fastly approaching 1984 Police State - I don't think you will be allowed to talk to people like that. crazy
Wasn't me gov, honest. Was this forum thingy. Has a mind of it's own you know. smirk

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
So, are you a nurse then?

Nope - but I do run a co-run a nursing site.
(That doesn't use UBBThreads blush )

driv #189956 07/04/2007 12:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Shame on you! For that you must cut & paste 1,000 times:

"I must use UBBthreads where ever and when ever possible and must never forget this so help me Bob."

Now go back to your room. mad

(Footnote: Re "Bob" - You can't make reference to G*D anymore in the policed state of the UK in case it offends someone)

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Awww - I didn't have any say in it frown

But my power is growing young Keeper of the Scripts.

One day, one day, I shall have my way........ mua hahhah hah! mad crazy

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
So the more tersely phrased letter might not make it into the core code? frown
yet anyhow wink...

This one always gets me to visit back...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29