Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
G Offline
Several users have complained that their stars are showing now that we'ver on UBB.threads when they had them turned off on UBB.classic.

There doesn't seem to be a per-user switch to hide the stars on UBB.threads. It would be nice to have that switch back.

G
G Offline
Bump.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I did not notice a way to disable as a user either. Not sure what Rick's stance is on this.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
IMHO,
letting the users dictate the rules is always a loser for all.
Stars are a report card and also allow new users know if a poster
's content can be trusted or not

If a person has few stars for a good reason allowing him to shine others off by hiding the score is not right

Example if someone is always posting not to give input put is doing a marketing game with their content he should not be able to hide what the others learned the hard way and degraded that users star count

What good is a grading system if those being graded can hide that score and continue to be a lower grade user ?

JR
Team ZR-1 Corvette Racer's
You may also find this topic of interest wink

Clicky

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I agree that users should be able to allow or disallow users to vote on them; or at least have their rating publicly viewed.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T Offline
I can't agree as having a forum for over 10 years and about 8 years before that with a BBS that allowing the users control they always have a story as why they should act like kids but have control like an adult when it comes to their liking

It depends on the type of users and subject content.

Im my case I see people wanting free marketing to answer every post with useless crap for the sole pupose to market their product or business and want people to click on their website always listed their content or change every post into a reason to ploy others to buy the snakeoil

If the user can just control their own score or hide it then no purpose in having a grading system at all.

I have seen some forums who go way out of line and if you do not post XX times then your locked out of certain forum sections and if you click on the vendor's URL they are getting money from then user score goes up.

To me that control of what user can do should be something admin can config but if just allowing user to make the call then admin should be able to turn that rating function totally off.

Allowing the users to make a judgement call as to their rating is like getting rid of the BBB.

JR
Team ZR-1 Corvette Racer's
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, see, this is why you have an option as an admin to allow users to be able to disable their own rating.

In all honesty, in some cases, all it does is ostracizes users and they won't be back, which is bad, mmkay :x

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think we used user ratings at least a week before we turned them off 6 or 7 years ago wink

They may be useful on a commercial site, but for most they can be counter-productive.

At ubbdev, once the staff found out how to give themselves super-ratings (on ubb.classic a few years back - I think cal had 7million out of 4 stars wink ), we turned them off there too smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
G
G Offline
I understand teamzr1's point, but the reason I brought it up was because of the loss of function. They could turn it off before but now can't and so they complain. I agree that it's a nice "credibility" indicator.

I like to be able to turn off the stars on the moderator's account because I don't want people thinking they need to suck up to the moderator, by giving stars or get revenge for being punished, etc. I want the moderator account to appear as neutral as possible.

In any case, because of the loss-of-function aspect, I'd like to see it as an option that could be enabled or disabled at the site's discretion, as Gizmo said.

Originally Posted by GregH
I like to be able to turn off the stars on the moderator's account because I don't want people thinking they need to suck up to the moderator, by giving stars or get revenge for being punished, etc. I want the moderator account to appear as neutral as possible.
Good point wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29