Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Addict
Addict
I just wanted to mention again that I really would like those javascript content islands back. I had to hand-code a solution that created them for my BellaOnline.com site. I just upgraded my LisaShea forums to UBBT7 and I now have the exact same problem there. I had the content islands in all sorts of places, to draw people into my forums. I can't find any way to easily "insert" a RSS feed into my web pages. With javascript, I just put in the javascript code and it was simple.

Does anybody know how to easily insert a RSS feed into a webpage with ASP code? If not, is there any hope of us getting those JavaScript content islands back, so I don't have to hand code the javascript code into every new release I get?

Here's an example -

http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/

it's not updating any more, because the new version doesn't create them any more.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you where using PHP I could think of several solutions; I'll take a look online later (not in the office currently) to see if I can spot an ASP solution.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It looks like theres a tool called RSS2HTML.asp that can translate rss feeds into useable asp contnet.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I Offline
This is pseudocode (intended to be real code, but called pseudo cause I always mistype something)

PHP Code

<?php
ob_start();
include_once( "/path/to/island/news.php" );
$body .= ob_get_contents();
ob_end_clean();
if( !headers_sent() ) {
	header( "Content-type: text/javascript" );
}

$body = str_replace( "\r\n", '\n', $body );
$body = str_replace( "\r", '\n', $body );
$body = str_replace( "\n", '\n', $body );
$body = str_replace( "'", "\\'", $body );
echo 'document.write( \'' . $body . '\' );';
?>

This script will take an include-file style content island and turn it into a javascript island

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, yeh, if you're going to use php theres plenty of free applets, such as LastRSS which I recommend to anyone wanting to parse one or more rss feeds.

Addict
Addict
I appreciate the help searching! The issue is that BellaOnline gets 20 million + pageviews a month, and the promo block is at the bottom of every article. This type of code-intensive solution would be a *huge* amount of processing time involved to keep re-inserting the same static text block.

It really makes more sense processor and time wise to do that once, when a content island is generated, vs doing the exact same thing over and over again every time a page is sent out. So if there's no simple way to do it, I guess I'm stuck again with a mod and with the plea to have this be a standard part of the code. Surely other people were using content islands? I do like RSS feeds, but they are for a completely different purpose than content islands ...

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
One would think that using the php include function to include a page with the rss feed and formatting would be the simplest route; either way you'd have to do something similar to insert a js island (if they where available).

LastRSS has a cache with it to cache content to halt pounding on feeds.

Also, the beauty of RSS is that you can customize the output, unlike js islands.

An example, this can become this with some simple formatting/css work (i know the look is ugly, i just threw it together as an example)

I also want to have the contentislands back. This was one strong feature to drive traffic to your site. I have a lot of external parties that include my content island on their site. Isn't there any plugin / hack available?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
For Plugins and Hacks that's generally a UBBDev thing; as for if it exists, I'm relatively sure it doesn't.

Most sites can use include() to snag external content; or use an RSS reader to syndicate (and with how popular RSS has become there are quite a few options).

I myself use an RSS feed reader on several sites (LastRSS)

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 1,248 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29