Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#191206 07/15/2007 12:50 PM
How many "Introduce Yourself" forums are needed for an entire community of forums?

I don't know how other community owners do this, but I'm not sure I want a mixture of shorthand types conglomerated into one general forum to introduce themselves (gregg, pitman, teeline, intern'l, Easyscript, T-script....).

Seems to make more sense if each different forum (shorthand group) had their own "Introduce Yourself" sub-forum so that one type of shorthand group wasn't mixed with another as conversations sprouted from them.

From my Board, each Community is a general category of Shorthand Types. When the category is opened, the different forums are for different shorthand groups. So should each shorthand group have a separate sub-forum to introduce their new members?

Do I need:

1. ONE "Introduce Yourself" forum for all shorthand groups and types under the community category "Before You Post"? Maybe I should do away with this one since this specific community is for Board Rules, Forum Training, New Features, etc.

2. ONE "Introduce Yourself" forum (as the first forum) under a community category? This means when anyone opens a category, only one "Introduce Yourself" forum will be available for all the different forums (shorthand groups) within that community category.

3. ONE "Introduce Yourself" sub-forum for each different shorthand group forum? This makes the most sense to me, but it means I'd end up with 40+ sub-forums for the same thing. Is this practical?

Maybe each forum really NEEDS their own sub-forums for introducing themselves, having their own galleries, etc.

I know I've somehow made this small task confusing without meaning to.

Any suggestions will be helping me to make a better decision. Thanks.

[Linked Image from shorthandclasses.com]
Just do 1 forum called New members wink

And put it near the top of you forums.
So they see it easily.

This way any one can say hi and welcome,
the more welcomes they get the more comfortable they will feel.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Thanks Marky. That relieves a lot of pressure to building repeated sub-forums. Done. smile

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Sometimes on hidden forums (which are very few on my site), i'll have a welcome thread in there. Not a forum, but just a 'Muhaha, a n00b has arrived!!'

or the like wink

then they get to negotiate the 'gauntlet' on their first seeing that forum..

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes too many forums can be daunting to navigate for people that are not very comfortable with forum software.

I was on one the other night that had to have a few hundred sub forums. Looked like they tried to be a portal to just about anything one could think of talking about. Fairly busy site too according to their post counts, but for a noob I'm sure they might just get lost and leave.

I agree nt.

The initial idea was to have 1 forum so that "everyone" registering could introduce themselves regardless of which shorthand type they wrote.

And then, after the introduction, scoot to the forum of their choice.

Sometimes when I don't take enough work breaks from my screen, the phone will ring and once I'm off yapping and back to my computer, I haven't the faintest idea where I left off. That's usually how this sort of stuff happens.

Thanks to this group, I'm back on track again. smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have 0 introduction forums; but i would sugguest if you plan to have many, that you utilize subforums wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
addict
addict
I only have one introduction forum. I'm a minimalist - I hate clutter on my site, so I have as few forums as possible. But I still have too many IMO. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 686 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29