Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I'm trying to create a new style and I'm getting the following error: ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 89. It's saying failed to open directory and permission denied.

What should the admin directory permissions be set too?

addict
addict
I have mine set to 777.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
It's not the admin directory that needs to be changd, it's the styles directory. Make sure you have it set to 777 as Rose stated.

Under the styles directory the files 1.php and 2.php would not allow me to change permissions. I got a message in my ftp client that said "550 could not change perms on 1.php. Operation not permitted".

I also went back and reuploaded the images directory but still no images show up in my forums.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Unless maybe the file was in use or you don't have rights yourself. IF you don't have rights to change it then you'll need to check with your host provider to gain proper access of your own site.

Originally Posted by tonto69
Under the styles directory the files 1.php and 2.php would not allow me to change permissions. I got a message in my ftp client that said "550 could not change perms on 1.php. Operation not permitted".

I also went back and reuploaded the images directory but still no images show up in my forums.

Not all hosts enable the chmod feature in FTP, if this is the case for you then you'll have to do it via the command line.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well if it's disabled via FTP then the user probably does not have SHELL rights either. Then the host must provide through their control panel a method to alter permissions

I just contacted my hosting provider and they made some modifications and now I can change the permissions on those files. Unfortunately that didn't seem to solve my problem. I still get error messages when I try to create a new style and no images show up in my forums. When I try to create a new style I get the following at the top of the screen: (I've xxx'd out my user name)

Warning: opendir(/home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/images/general/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 89

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 91

Warning: opendir(/home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/images/avatars/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 101

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 103

Warning: opendir(/home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/images/forumimages/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 113

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 115

Warning: opendir(/home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 125

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 127

Warning: opendir(/home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/images/icons/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 137

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 139

Warning: opendir(/home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/images/news/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 149

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 151

Warning: opendir(/home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/images/moods/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 161

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 163

Warning: opendir(/home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/images/markup_panel/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 173

Warning: readdir(): supplied argument is not a valid Directory resource in /home/xxx/public_html/ubbthreads/admin/editstyle.php on line 175

Last edited by tonto69; 07/22/2007 6:54 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well it's still a PERMISSION DENIED error on all or most of that.

So the account you're using to edit them still does not appear to have permissions.

Review all the FOLDER and FILE permissions with an FTP client (if you can) and change per the Installation instructions for UBBT7

Then logout of the site on your web brower, delete cookies if needed, then log back in and try again.

I would use FireFox 2.x and not IE6 or IE7 as there are some known caching issues if setting on IE are not set correctly.

I tried the things you've suggested but I'm still getting those warning messages. All of my permissions check out OK.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well if you're certain perms are good then I'd suggest opening a UBB support ticket for this as I'm not sure what else might be causing an access denied. Suppose it's possible that something else is causing the error but the script points to the file where it was at which might not be the real case.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A couple of things could cause errors:
1. Invalid owner on file (in some cases, Apache is the owner of your files, as apache is a root level user, you can't touch his files)
2. Invalid permisions on file
3. invalid owner/perms on directories
4. openbasedir and other "filesystemm security"

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Why won't my images show up either? Would it be worth a shot if I deleted then reuploaded the files and tried to install again? I'm not sure where to turn (except open a ticket). The hosting company will probably just tell me to contact ubbthreads.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
could you link me to the forum install that isn't showing images? I took a look at the one in your sig and I see the nonewtopics image and post icons just fine

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
the script is at toledobend.com/ubbthreads

This is a new site which I haven't launched yet. It uses hostforweb.com instead of Godaddy which I use for the one at LouisianaOutdoors.com. I'm using other scripts which wouldn't work on Godaddy.

Thanks.

I haven't launched the site so if nothing else works I might just switch hosting providers. Can anyone make a recommendation? This might be the fastest and cheapest way to go since I just have a basic license with no paid support included.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The best place to check if you have all permissions set is the Permission Checks in the control panel. That will check everything that actually needs to be writable by any portion of the script.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Rick, not sure here, but if a file was created by apache, apache would always read it as being "ok", but when the user account tries to work with said files it won't be able to and will recieve a permission error as they don't own the file

I've checked my permissions in the control panel several times and everything checked out OK. I'm about to check my email. A tech with the hosting company was supposed to check it out last night. I'll report back.

unfortunately tech support with my hosting provider hasn't helped much yet. The strange thing is I'm getting the warning messages I posted previously but the panel to create a new style is still usable underneath.

Does anyone else use hostforweb.com as their forums hosting provider?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
according to www.webhostingtalk.com they seem decent enough, although it seems they oversell on their VPS', though that's not entirely out of the ordinary

dont' know if this helps but here's a partial screen shot of what I get when I click the 'create new style' tab.
Attachments
scriptwarning.gif

This just emailed from my hosting provider:

I'm not finding anything on the server that would cause those errors. If you could, contact the developer for any suggestions as to how to resolve that issue. If we can help with any of their suggestions, please let us know

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, seeing the error now, it's not trying to write at that point. It's just trying to read the directory. From that, it looks like images/markup_panel isn't even readable. Can you check the permissions on this directory?

Rick I just checked it and everything was checked as readable. I unchecked and rechecked but still nothing. I think I'll move everything to ValueWeb hosting. Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29