Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I'm about to go on my third hosting provider and I haven't even launched my site yet. Can someone recommend a good one. I have several other php scripts that I need to run in addition to ubbthreads.

I was going to use ValueWeb. I've used them with another site for nearly 10 years. They are a little pricey and already they tried charging me an activation fee when their website said there was none for that plan.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Theres a section at ubbdev about hosting providers.

Myself I recommend www.WebIntellects.com to clients, but generally I recommend their VPS services, I can't recommend either way on their standard webhosting services.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yeah but then YOUR the one that has to handle all maintenance and security for the site on your own. Great price for the Linux starter plan though. wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
'eh security isn't really that hard to deal with once you get in the know wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
LOL - debateable.

The point being that an average computer, windows users is NOT going to know a thing about securing a Linux box or preventing it from getting hacked - the good thing is that I'm sure they have it fairly well secure when they turn it over to you (that would be my guess)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, for those users, theres always managed vps/dedicated hosting as well; you know, for the transion of growing out of a shared host ability and wanting to migrate to dedicated resources..

Addict
Addict
If you're after quality then www.vertexhost.com is your answer. I have been with them for a while now and I've never had a problem. Their support is great and what's even more important is that one of their guys is a top UBB Threads guru. So if you need to host your forum somewhere then these guys are the best.

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Their inhouse support is simply the best. There is always someone onduty to answer and resolve your trouble tickets 24/7. I was going to move my single shared hosting account away from them a year or two ago, and they convinced me to move in my reseller account that I had elsewhere with them and stay.

With the new manager that came in, they now have resellers, VPS, and dedicated servers. Not the cheapest, but certainly one of the better webhosts out there.

journeyman
journeyman
I am very happy with Vertexhost.com
They are UBB.threads experts, and friendly, and very fast to resolve every issue
I m a happy dedicated server customer.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Conrad
one of their guys is a top UBB Threads guru.

Then one would assume he is a poster here? Who are you talking about? Being good at computers and being a GURU on a specific application would have to come from participating in code creation, modification, installation, debugging, etc (IMHO) which to me would indicate that someone is a member here.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Theres a section at ubbdev about hosting providers.

Myself I recommend www.WebIntellects.com to clients, but generally I recommend their VPS services, I can't recommend either way on their standard webhosting services.

From contact with them over the last few days, it would seem their support for standard web hosting is just as good as for vps accounts smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
@NT: Josh doesn't post here or at UBBDev anymore since he's also the owner of a competing product he tends to generally post over there unless he's working with a client; he hasn't really posted here or UBBDev since .T7 came out.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
otay makes sense, thanks Giz

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
In The Netherlands I can recommend NXS Internet.

We are on a standard shared hosting solution, but we generate about 70gb's a month on traffic, of which 90-95% is coming from ubb.threads, and we hardly host any pics.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
We use Peer1 for dedicated hosting. We like 'em.

[Linked Image from boards.collectors-society.com]
enthusiast
enthusiast
@NT: Josh doesn't post here or at UBBDev anymore since he's also the owner of a competing product he tends to generally post over there unless he's working with a client; he hasn't really posted here or UBBDev since .T7 came out.

I don't routinely post anymore as Gizzy said - but I still have several UBB.Threads customers which I do upgrades, and custom coding for - and at VertexHost we have many many UBB.Threads forum clients. smile

Joshua Pettit
Web Developer
www.ThreadsDev.net | www.JoshuaPettit.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
:wavy: hi josh! smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
BTW, for the record, I've had some good experiences with Blue Tree Host which is owned by a colleague of mine that I've worked with for several years.

Comes with PHP 5.2, MySQL5, Apache2, ImageMagick 6.0.1 and IonCube and Zend Optimizer are both installed as well.

DirectAdmin is the CP and it has PHPMyAdmin integrated for db maintenance, and they also allow multiple domain aliases which most others charge you to use (they also have a package that allows you to host numerous domains as well).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by JoshPet

I don't routinely post anymore as Gizzy said - but I still have several UBB.Threads customers which I do upgrades, and custom coding for - and at VertexHost we have many many UBB.Threads forum clients. smile

Hi Josh, thanks for stopping by and saying hi. Glad to hear you're still in the game with UBBT wink

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
According to netcraft, if you're looking for a reliable host, here's the Top 10 Most Reliable Web Hosts:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2...liable_hosting_company_in_july_2007.html

I don't think that takes customer service response in to account too, but there you go smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
addict
addict
Thanks for all these tips, guys. I think we'll be in the market for a new host fairly soon. We had a look at the VertexHost site and it looked pretty good. Giz, I don't think we're ready for a VPS yet, even though it's tempting. smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh allen, I believe that chart just takes uptime of the webserver into account; and just because the webserver is up doesn't mean something else on the server isn't b0ged wink (at least in my experiance lol)...

Rose, yeh a VPS s good for users who need dedicated resources, or want to consolidate hosting of their sites into one larger plan and don't yet have the need for a dedicated server.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29