Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I am currently running UBB.Classic 6.7.1 and want to upgrade to get current. However, the server I am running 6.7.1 on does not support the SQL version needed. I am migrating to a new server that does have all the correct software required for UBB.Threads.

What is the recommended way to accomplish this migration? Should I install Classic 6.7.1 on the new server first and copy everything over? Are the source install files for Classic 6.7.1 still around? If so are there instructions for that migration available?

Once I get Classic 6.7.1 on the new server, I assume that I can just use the documented upgrade process on the new server, correct?

Thanks.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Hi Denny,
My gut feeling would be to get your current version running on the new server first.

I've just checked the members area and version 6.7.3 is available.

However, I don't think that you need to upgrade. Somewhere on these boards or in the documentation area are guides to moving your boards.

I upgraded from 6.7.1 to threads 7.1 using the classic importer (available from the members area) and I had no problems whatsoever smile

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Giz has written a guide here

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Anything in the 6.7 branch can be migrated to 7; you'll want to go ahead and upgrade to the current 6.7 branch (6.7.3) then migrate it to the new server, THEN preform the migration there (should you want to actually migrtate using the install files)

What I'd do would be:
On CURRENT server
1. Backup your CGI and VARS directories
2. Backup your Members and Non-CGI directories.
3. Migrate them to the new server, edit vars_config.cgi to reflect "new paths" and the url of the new server.
4. Check the CHMod's on files to ensure they'll run (755 on non vars files, 666 on members files, 666 on vars files IIRC)

--- MAKE SURE .C is running on the "new server" before moving on. ---

5. follow my "migrating from UBB.C6 -> UBB.T7" guide.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed help.

Two questions ...

If any 6.7.x can be migrated to 7, why wuold I need to upgrade to 6.7.3 first? Unless there is no way to copy the 6.7.1 system to the new server and an install of 6.7.3 is required.

Anything else other than the CGI, VARS, Members and non-CGI directories need to be copied to the new server?

Last edited by DennyP; 07/25/2007 7:42 PM.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Generally the first step is to upgrade; if you're going to migrate theres several routes, including doing a fresh install at the new location... As I doubt you have the 6.7.1 install files, you'd end up using the 6.7.3 install files, in which you'd need to upgrade prior to moving.

I documented a path that doens't require doing a fresh install above to go around this (in fact, I don't like doing the "fresh install and migrate in" path, it's just as easy to do what i mentioned above).

Anything in UBB.C6.7 can migrate directly to UBB.T7.x; this is also the same for UBB.T6.5 to UBB.T7.x.

The only UBB files should be the CGI, Vars, Members, and non-cgi files; there shouldn't be any other files related to the UBB.C elsewhere.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Thank you very much.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29