Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
As of now it appears that there is a strict priority over the titles being generated according to the number of user posts. I like the titles but I'd like to also assign special ones to whomever I want and not have the system add the automatic one as well, i.e. similar to version 6.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you for your input, and yes this has been requested before.

Many are hoping for similar changes in an upcoming version, at least different methods or options than are currently supported.

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Don't quote me on this, but I think it was Rick who said in a future version we as admins will have the option of displaying the board default names or the custom titles given. Don't shoot me if my memory is wrong crazy

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by gliderdad
Don't quote me on this, but I think it was Rick who said in a future version we as admins will have the option of displaying the board default names or the custom titles given. Don't shoot me if my memory is wrong crazy
bingo

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hmmm... Well I still don't like that option or maybe I'm missing something.

(without looking at the tables) isn't there a column entry for CUSTOM TITLE, NORMAL TITLE

Can't the Custom Title be always shown along with the normal title ?

If so then I would like the ability to allow NORMAL TITLE to be either board posts controlled or manual over ride on a per group and / or per user basis. Keep CUSTOM the way it is.

Looking on my own site where I have Admin rights it does appear to allow NORMAL and CUSTOM to be shown at the same time.

So.... for my [Linked Image from kixhelp.com]
I would like to suggest my above request.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Thats how it works now; if there is a custom the forum uses both the custom AND the post count; most people don't like seeing two, it looks ugly.

The way Rick plans to update it (from what I can recall) is that the admin can choose weather he wants posttitles as:
Current, show both -OR- Show only custom (if set, else show postcount)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by harry
As of now it appears that there is a strict priority over the titles being generated according to the number of user posts. I like the titles but I'd like to also assign special ones to whomever I want and not have the system add the automatic one as well, i.e. similar to version 6.

I agree.

Since version 7.2, post based titles are forced upon the user at every post. If you change in the database, it gets reset right away by ubb on the next post.

This gave us a little of a headache, since we used that field just for custom membertitles. They were all reset to junior member (the only post based member title we have, when they have 0 posts wink ) as soon as they posted.

For our board the fix was easy, kill the code in addpost.inc.php that updates the membertitle.

I am thinking about moving over those membertitles to the custom membertitle field, and give that custom membertitle field a default "Junior member" and empty out the post based ones. But have not tested if this will give an empty line.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
we've taken the custom title and just prioritized it over the post based one.

if $customTitle show($customTitle);
else show($normalTitle);

small change in showflat and viewmessage and *poof* done. also, the title is colorized according to the username color too..

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
Sirdude,
Are you saying you've already created this modification? I'm not a programmer, but the "if, else" clause makes a lot of sense. It's exactly what how I'd like the site to behave. In other words, if there is a custom title inputted, show that. If not, revert to the post generated one. So only one title shows up, not two.

Custom titles help us distinguish users and gives a sense of "VIPness" to select others. Having two titles, I think, defeats the purpose and just adds clutter.

Last edited by harry; 07/26/2007 10:18 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I still say a 3 prong approach - method would be a lot more versatile for everyone.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by harry
Sirdude,
Are you saying you've already created this modification? I'm not a programmer, but the "if, else" clause makes a lot of sense. It's exactly what how I'd like the site to behave. In other words, if there is a custom title inputted, show that. If not, revert to the post generated one. So only one title shows up, not two.

Custom titles help us distinguish users and gives a sense of "VIPness" to select others. Having two titles, I think, defeats the purpose and just adds clutter.

yes, i can post it over at ubbdev, if you can't wait for the 7.3 version. it's really too simple to qualify as a mod though.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
I can't wait. Please post it on UBBDev. I'd appreciate it very much.

Just out of curiosity, what form will this take?

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Just go there and see. it's posted now

Note, the mod i had done originally was for 7.1.1. This is for 7.2, hence the filenames that are affected.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
OK, I guess I'll have to move from 7.1.1 to 7.2 before I can accomplish this.

Do you by chance still have the mod for 7.1.1?

Thanks for doing this.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yah, i have a 7.1.1 mod lying around. i'll just PM you the info.

PM sent

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 377 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29