Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#193931 08/06/2007 4:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not that I have any issues on my network but for those who might.
Just recently saw this from Microsoft. Not that they're top of the line in this area as I don't think they are yet, but hey why not.

Malware Removal Starter Kit
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a18-a14f-c99b64adfbea&DisplayLang=en

Brief Description
How to Combat Malware Using Windows PE
The Malware Removal Starter Kit provides tested guidance to help IT Generalists combat malware attacks against small- and medium-sized organizations. Using the Windows Pre-installation Environment (Windows PE) in combination with free anti-malware scanning programs, the kit provides a low-cost, effective strategy that you can use to vanquish malware attacks.

I would probably go with an Ultimate Boot CD for Windows myself and then use the latest versions of Malware Removal Tools easily located on the Internet, but hey some shops want to go with Microsoft solutions so thought I'd share it.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Wow, you're showing me things i've always found amusing... "Microsoft" and "Free" and now "Microsoft" and "security" wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't hate the products (too much), I mainly dispise the company :nods:

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Wow, you're showing me things i've always found amusing... "Microsoft" and "Free" and now "Microsoft" and "security" wink...

Well I would agree with you in the past Gizmo, but overall Microsoft Windows Server 2003 w/SP2 and setup with proper security settings is actually a pretty hard nut to crack. Out of the box Linux has issues and has updates as well. FreeBSD as I recall has one of the best security wise setups out of the box.

It will take Windows a long time to get over the bad publicity of security that it did deserve in the past. It's not perfect but I don't think any OS out there is even close.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've found the BSD's are some of the best when it comes to security; and I will agree that there are some security issues with some of the items that the various linux distributions include in their distro; linux and unix itself are highly secure, it's the crap they shove in that can lead to issues (and need updating).

Windows however, especially now with the server versions, don't tend to allow (many) 3rd party items to be bundled, hence why most of their server varients can be secure..

Now heres one thing I want to bring up, and security for it should have you agreeing with me... I'd like to referance WindowsME and WindowsXP; nuff said :x

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I did say that the older stuff was not very secure. I just didn't say by names. Even Server 2000 was not too secure.

I actually really like Windows 95B - long ago before MS starting coding to hold the users hand and check and verify every move the user makes before it decides if it should allow it or not.
A nice good install by someone that knows what they're doing and it was a FAST running OS. Too bad it wasn't real 32Bit

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
sheesh giz... such an anti m$ bias doesn't become you... time to sing kum bya and cook up some smores alread tongue

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I liked 4.1.1, 95b, 98SE... 98, 2000, me, always left a bad taste in my mouth...

Originally Posted by Sirdude
sheesh giz... such an anti m$ bias doesn't become you... time to sing kum bya and cook up some smores alread tongue
no, i just don't enjoy their business tactics... Or lack of ethics...

Look in the past, at all of the piracy they've done as a company, bundling 3rd party apps and code without authorization or permission... Then they have this huge stance against piracy... It's lutecrice...

I despise them far more than just in a software/security stance wink...

I just wanted to add
I Like Microsoft? Because of the holes in there software we have enjoyed the internet free copies lol

>>> Continue on <<<<

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well this is not really NEWS but I just noticed that Altiris (great product years ago) had bought Wise Solutions (wise installer) I suppose some time back in 2005. Well now it appears that Symantec bought Altiris earlier this year. That Symantec sure buys up Companies just like Microsoft does.

Guess it's cheaper to buy software than create it.

Bullies - now i'm looking for 6 more characters.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I've been using Super Anti-Spyware Remover recently with great results - their free version works real well smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
I've been using Super Anti-Spyware Remover recently with great results - their free version works real well smile

Curious though why you would even need to use one Allen?

These tools are mainly designed for cleanup once the junk gets on your box. If you're using IE7 or FireFox and have all the Windows Security updates it is so much harder to get junk on your box even if you're logged in as an Admin while surfing (though not a good idea - you can set it so that your surfing is on a normal user level)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ntdoc
Well this is not really NEWS but I just noticed that Altiris (great product years ago) had bought Wise Solutions (wise installer) I suppose some time back in 2005. Well now it appears that Symantec bought Altiris earlier this year. That Symantec sure buys up Companies just like Microsoft does.

Guess it's cheaper to buy software than create it.
Well, it's one thing to BUY the company, it's another thing to just include their licensed software without permission wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
BTW, @ALlen, I use SpyBot Search and Destroy, have for years; works like a dream... I have a couple of others as well wink

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well the truth is that there is not 1 out there that can remove some of the rootkit type infections.

I did a fairly extensive study of this about a year ago and every single package from Freeware, Shareware, to Corporate versions all failed at removing everything.

In each case it took manual effort to remove the stuff by someone with a good knowledge of Windows.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Nothing is capable of removing everything... Think about how often these things come out, your best bet is to run 2, 3, 4, 5+ utilities...

I have AdAware SE, Spybot, and a virus scanner, and several other utilities :/

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No I think you missed what I was saying.

I'll check and see if I can find the link where I posted before.

Basically ran about 5 or 6 of the top rated programs some at the same time some one after another and NONE of them could remove the infestations.

I'm not talking about new stuff (some of which is pretty good programming) but older stuff from a year ago.

Basically these scumware infestations morph too fast and too random for any automated software to be able to safely remove them.

finding this interesting wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay here is the link. I wrote this back in June 2005

Spyware removal tools not up to the job

This is a bit of a long read but for the Tech Junkie hopefully they will find it interesting.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, some of them need specific tools geared towards irradication; sadly however I have a theory that these removal tools are created by the authors trying to make a quick buck...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
alt.conspiracy wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
alt.conspiracy wink
you know its the Truth...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by AllenAyres

Curious though why you would even need to use one Allen?

These tools are mainly designed for cleanup once the junk gets on your box. If you're using IE7 or FireFox and have all the Windows Security updates it is so much harder to get junk on your box even if you're logged in as an Admin while surfing (though not a good idea - you can set it so that your surfing is on a normal user level)

Cuz 'stuff' happens, even with all the precautions in place smile

http://www.download.com/SUPERAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10706568.html?tag=lst-0-10

I actually used it on my mom's computer. Somehow she got a trojan that kept downloading other trojans/spyware and most spyware removers didn't even see it. After a search of how to remove the particular files I was seeing, someone recommended a long drawn-out procedure using SAS that finally got rid of the trojan. This computer had already been through 2 other techs that couldn't fix it and they were recommending wiping the hard drive and starting over :no:

- Allen
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well if you get stuck next time send me a PM and I'll help you out.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Thanks, will do smile

As we speak I am having a MS SBS MVP check out our server - I set it up 6-8 years ago and never had it quite right. Over the years my trying to fix it probably made it worse - her words were a few minutes ago: 'need to correct a lot' laugh It took nearly an hour to get the router and server set correctly to allow remote access tongue

It's been a long time since I used to run ubbdev on iis wink

- Allen

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 1,057 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29