Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just for you Gizmo... smile

See, we're not against Open Source (we appreciate both sides of the coin)
Wikipedia's growth statistics are simply amazing

Wikipedia: Site internals, configur...agement issues (PDF right click Save-As)

The Most Demanding Web 2.0 Sites in the World Run MySQL

And speaking of SCALING with MySQL (from theopenforce.com) using LAMP
Here's an interesting problem to have. What happens when your company starts scaling out in a matter of hours or days to traffic levels that would have normally taken years? That's the situation that music site www.iLike.com (formerly GarageBand) faced after they launched May 23. They started getting tens of thousands of new users hourly through Facebook and eventually went from a million users to over 6 million in and the space of a few weeks, begging and borrowing more servers from VCs to keep things going. They reached an audience size in weeks that it took Rhapsody years to achieve. Now that's a fast pace of scale out! They announced on June 11 that they are now the fastest growing music website. Heck, its probably worth making iLike our honorary 13th example in our 12 Days of Scale-Out feature on our web site.

The company President is ex-Microsoft VP Hadi Partovi who was previously General Manager of the MSN portal. However, like most new web-based startups, iLike is built on the open source LAMP stack. While it's possible that a Microsoft-only stack might have been able to scale, I would think the cost would be prohibitive. Even if you just assume a nominal fee like $5k per server times 150 servers, that's $750,000, which is not chump change --even to ex-Microsoft millionaires.

[Linked Image from zurlocker.typepad.com]

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
bored much? wink lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not too much. Was reading up on Postgres and thought what the heck I'd pass this along.

I think it's pretty amazing how much traffic these sites can handle and continue to have an amazing response time.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Indeed; what's interesting is hearing that a site doens't have a server (or set of servers) dedicated to MySQL when you're darned sure they would lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Too bad it doesn't support Microsoft CRM - would be a great platform to run it on. Like the guy says it costs a LOT to scale out with MS-SQL, and Server Licenses

Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise Edition retails for $24,999 per physical processor.

MS Server 2003 Enterprise R2 retails for $3,999

(granted you can get these for much less than retail prices but still expensive as heck) We have a system with 2 Dual Core processors so that would cost us $50,000 just for SQL 2005 if we went that route.

MS SQL 2005 Pricing
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.mspx

MS Server 2003 R2 Pricing
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricing.mspx

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 598 guests, and 134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29