Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4

[Linked Image from alaskarails.org]

[13-Jul-2007]

Today it is exactly three years ago since PHP 5 has been released. In those three years it has seen many improvements over PHP 4. PHP 5 is fast, stable & production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will be discontinued.

The PHP development team hereby announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4. We will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08. Please use the rest of this year to make your application suitable to run on PHP 5.

PHP Snapshots - Get PHP 6.0 Dev

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We've been talking about this over at ubbdev; i'm glad they're finally dropping support for it, considering PHP5 is out and stable, and php6 is on its way, it's pointless to continue to support 4 wink...

You should check out the GoPHP5 Initiative

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well haven't looking into it on Linux but on Windows you can run all 3 versions if you want at the same time and each Website can choose which one they want to run.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can configure it to run multiple versions, in fact I did some research for a collegue on how to do it last year...

Myself, I find it overkill... Want to know why PHP4 scripts commonly don't run in PHP5? They where coded assuming that register_globals is "on", whereby they're set "off" by default in php5 and removed completely in php6 due to potential security issues.

How easy is it to fix? it's trivial, if you're reading a post or get variable, you need to define the variable vs assuming it's always there... Takes all of a couple of minutes to update...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
So in php5

Registered Globals should be "off"

Any others ?

Just checking as i never got around to this lol.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes - by default the supplied ini for PHP5 is setup for Best Practice but some things need to be changed in order for it to work on your system.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
First thing i do in the ini is change the maximum memory from 8M to 16M. can't remember what setting that is though laugh

but i do it!!

ps: 'memory_limit' wink

isnt

magic_quotes another one ?
I have x2 magic_quotes off but this one is still on

magic_quotes_gpc ON
register_globals ON

will test with me Globals first as there may be a few forms broken but i'm sure i wrote them for php5 wink

magic_quotes_gpc ON

Its there a php5 safe list anywhere as out the box its not
the best setup, sorry i'm hijacking NT topic

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not sure if there is any such thing as a best, safe list.

So many different setups that it's hard to just provide a "best setup"

There are a ton of sites out there and discussion groups all about PHP - they eat/live/breath it. Not my cup of tea to discuss it daily, just enough to use it okay is enough for me wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's based on user needs... I just use the base config and tweak it slightly (max memory, max post, etc)

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
can't use PHP5 yet - one of my important scripts is still PHP4, or at least the component we use in the UK, is not working properly on the PHP5 version - if that make sense LOL

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, a key thing to remember is that you can run BOTH on the same machine, side by side...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well you should investigate updating that script if possible. Aside from security benefits - most sites claim that PHP 5.x is much faster than 4.x

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
The software is Modernbill and as far as I can assertain, the Nominet part (Nominet are the body to whom we belong that look after UK domains) does not run properly on PHP5.

Gizmo - I did enquire about that, but under Plesk (Linux), I think it is one or the other. The windows version I think allows for both.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ian, you could have someone install it for you, and specify you want them to coexist, then you could set the default through .htaccess for each site... heck, you can do this on a directory by directory basis... But is probably too much for your cpanel to configure them both along side eachother automagically...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29