Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
I just installed PHP 5, MySql and UBB Threads V7.2 on a W2K box with IIS 5 and am stuck in the Threads install process. When I run install.php it stops when it gets to the Database Check step. I get the message "connecting to server" but it never does anything else. Any advice or ideas on where to look first?

Thanks!

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
first thing that is real easy to do is to see if php knows about mysql..

create a quickie file called bleh.php (or choose another name laugh )

type <? phpinfo(); ?>

and save it..

then http://whatever/dir/itisin/bleh.php

would be interested to see what php thinks about it's world..

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
Thanks - I get a blank screen so I guess that my problem is that PHP is not recognizing MySql right? I checked the php.ini file and the theo mysql dlls are uncommented -

extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_mysqli.dll

What else do I need to do? Obviously I'm not familiar with PHP or MySql - I've been using ColdFusion for everything previously.

Thank you!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Guessing, but my guess would be a possible lack of ACL permissions in one or more locations. Don't forget that the IIS account is running it and needs Read in some places and Read/Write in others.

Check the %temp% folders as well, if it can't write and delete temp files it will fail. It needs access to certain locations of PHP/MySQL too.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
hrm. you shouldn't have a blank screen..

maybe i was unclear..

the file should have 1 line and that line is:
PHP Code

<? phpinfo(); ?>

no 'type' in there.. my bad for not being clearer smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually if permissions are wrong it is quite easy to get a blank white page or not response. (not the only reason though)

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
I got the test file to run (the syntax was ok). I extracted the PECL file to the ext directory and tried again and it worked - not sure why that is either but at least I get output now. I don't get any errors but I don't see MySql listed anywhere either. I've checked what I know to look at but still don't know where to go from here. Any more ideas?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
SD, keep in mind that some wonky config's don't like shorthand, instead it's good to get in the habit of writing that as:
Code
<?php phpinfo(); ?>

as for ideas, is MySQL actually installed and running on the machine?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
Well I'm making progress - made a few changes and rebooted the server and now I can get past the Database connection check. I was able to set up the URLs and path info, the admin account and now I'm getting this error when it tries to create the tables.

SQL Error: Access denied for user 'ubbuser'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
SQL Error #: 1045
Query: Unable to connect to the database!

Can anyone tell me what I need to do here? Thank you!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
well, it's saying it can't connect because of invalid authentication information...

Make sure that the user "ubbuser" with the password you set can connect to "localhost" in the server permissions for MySQL

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
This is the first time I've used MySql so an not really familiar with it. I'm sure that I'm using the correct password but not how to verify that the account has the proper permissions. I used the MySql Administrator program to create the account and gave it access to the ubbtheads database. Can you tell me how I can verify it has permission to connect to "localhost"?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Use a tool like "phpmyadmin", login as the root user, edit the permissions section; it should list the username, the md5 (or sha) version of the password, and the host it can connect to...

Generally it should show several copies of the same user, for differant hosts:
localhost
localhost.localdomain

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
I wasn't able to get back to this until now, but I have verifed that the user has permissions to the database. I tried removing the user and recreating using the same user name and I have tried creating a new user with a different name. Still getting the same error when I get to Step 6 in the install:

UBB Error We encountered a problem. The reason reported was
Script:
Line#:
SQL Error: Access denied for user 'ubbthreads'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
SQL Error #: 1045
Query: Unable to connect to the database!

Everything appears to me to be correct so I'm not sure what to look at now.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Basically, this error boils down to just what it states, "access denied". It could be something as simple as a typo in the username/password either in the threads config file, or when setting up the permissions. That error comes directly from MySQL, so it's basially saying that the ubbthreads user cannot access the database in question, using the supplied password.

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
What I don't understand is why it will show "Passed" for all the checks for database connectivity in Step 3 and then I still get the Access Denied error in Step 6. That just doesn't make any sense to me. I really don't know what to do next to get this to work.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
What I'd do is take a look at the includes/config.inc.php file and make sure the database information is being written to the config file properly. You'll see all of the database settings at the top of that file.

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
The config file is correct.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Try ensuring that each "user" for the db with that username has full access to manage the database you're installing to

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
They all do.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'm somewhat running out of ideas for suggestions. Something somewhere isn't right, either in the information in the config file or the actual permissions. Might need to open a support ticket so I can take a looksee.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's sounding like MySQL just doesn't like something, may it be a password/user issue (but as you get past step 3..) or an access issue in communicating with the database...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29