Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
journeyman
journeyman
Users are getting error message "Database only viewable by forum administrator".

Any thoughts. Owner of the Board is not available right now, I don't have access to the hosting account. Any thoughts or things I should look at.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

Thanks

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sounds like someone shut the board down. If you don't have access to the Admin Console then nothing you can do really except wait for an Admin to come along and turn it back on.

journeyman
journeyman
I am an Admin. It is an off again on again problem. I have gotten a few times myself.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm sorry I thought you meant that by the OWNER not being around that no one with Admin rights was there.

Not really sure why it would happen.

Can you please provide the following.

PHP version
MySQL version
UBBT version (well board appears to be up and shows as 7.1.1)

and if you're on a Linux or Windows hosting.

Last edited by ntdoc; 07/31/2007 2:49 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If you as an admin get this issue while not being logged in you'll need to check your SQL logs if you have them enabled (you'd do this through FTP or from within the CP if you can get to it.

You can also edit libs/mysql.inc.php and change the "showlogs" line to 1 (from 0) and it'll publicly display any database errors.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
OK, the database error message went away for a while now it is back. Owner still on vacation, no computer access.

PHP version is 4.3.9

Since I don't have access to the server, not sure how much I can do to fix this.

Any more suggestions.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Any particular screen they are getting the error on?

journeyman
journeyman
If I get the message I get it on the first screen (main), sometimes on other screens.

In the stats Who's online are the invisible users counted in the registered users? I am wondering if we are exceeding the number of connections.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yeah, I was looking at the post where people are having the error. Initially I thought it was maybe database corruption, but if that were the case everyone would get it and it wouldn't go away. Since your users are saying that they get the error and then it goes away a few minutes later it very definitely could be a max connection issue that the host would need to address.

V
stranger
stranger
V Offline
Hi I'm an Admin with Wisc. Tiger on the same board.

The following is what a member posted back in July when this problem was happening.
Originally Posted by jthorpe
well, I can tell you it's not a browser issue. Based on what I'm seeing, I can tell you it's a MySql issue on the server. IT may have been happening for a while now but if it's not fixed it's going to get worse until you have no site to visit. wink Just letting you know. been there and done that. I posted some information in another thread that would help the problem for a while.
Originally Posted by jthorpe
Guys, you might want to contact the owner about this again. I was trying to explain the other day about MySql having a problem here. I don't know if you guys contacted the owner or not, but your server is either being overloaded with db connections because it's shared, or you're at the point where there is too much traffic for a single machine.

This is the error I'm getting:

Invalid MySql query
Too many connections

Do me a favor. I own and run a lot of sites like this one. I'm telling you, if the problem isn't fixed, you're going to find yourselves down a lot longer than just a few minutes at a time. I would also suggest making sure that you have backups in place.

Whoever owns this machines needs to go in and change max_connections in the my.cnf file. On unix it's usually in /etc/my.cnf.

Does that help and how do we fix that?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
If you're on a hosted server then you'll need to contact your host and let them know that you're getting MySQL errors that state "Too many connections". Basically MySQL is configured to accept only so many connections and when that is exceeded the connection is refused. This can be more pronounced if you're on a shared server, since everyone has to share the same max connections.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
since everyone has to share the same max connections.

Not on our shared server. Our limit was taken away when we stumbled onto the error. It can be set per client.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yes it can, but normally (can't give you a percentage) i find that i get a message to the effect

"hey dude, you are humping our server too much. hogging resources etc etc... time for a VPS baby!! caaa ching!.. "

so it's no guarantee, but yes you are right that the host CAN pump your individual limit up within an overal' pool..

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
When I managed the servers (and delt with the CS/TS) for past hosts I was told to "let people go" when they start monopolizing resources on the server :/

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29