Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#195654 08/29/2007 6:14 AM
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
I't's been there a while. But I think it's kinda strange you can PM with yourself.

It is espacially strange with the welcome PM's. People get a PM with "welcome", they reply with thanks, and that reply is lost in space. No warning whatsoever.

Code
SELECT * FROM `ubbt_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_TOPICS` WHERE `TOPIC_SUBJECT` ='Welcome' and `TOPIC_REPLIES`>0

Executing that query showed me actual users who replied on their welcome PM, only to have their reply lost in space.

A scenario where a user PM's someone, deletes it to keep his box clean, and any reply would also go lost in space.

My suggestion would be in case of a reply to a specific user in a private topic, to make sure the intended recepiant gets is.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
It's actually a 'feature' that i ran into the other day. you can actually PM yourself, if you want.

I was going to PM Rick and thought that i did, but what really happened is i created my own PT with ME only..

I had forgotten to select Rick as a recipient. I was first thinking bug!!!

but i'd call this a feature, since the PM isn't really lost in space.. mayge the welcome PM could say 'Do not reply' or the like.. but it's a legit message.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
but i'd call this a feature, since the PM isn't really lost in space..

okay, it's not lost in space. It's like talking to yourself in the mirror smile

Anyway, if you think something happens (reply on pm, the sender will get the reply) and that doesn't happen, it's a bug in my book of worldy knowledge smile

Last edited by blaaskaak; 08/29/2007 7:55 AM.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I brought it to Rick before (we're talking pre 7.0final), it is indeed a feature wink... I actually use it a lot for note keeping (and I do take and make a lot of notes at every community I belong to, as I generally am the guy in charge of customizations/modifications/styling); one of my favorite undocumented features hehe

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
okay, it's not lost in space. It's like talking to yourself in the mirror smile

{taxi cab -- robert deniro mode on}
you talkin to me?
{/end}

you have a point and it is a bit baffling at first (not the welcome message). but there is also that PM participants line, where the language file for 'none' could be changed to "yes, i'm talking to me now" or whatever to at least relieve some ambiguities..

2c

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
It is espacially strange with the welcome PM's. People get a PM with "welcome", they reply with thanks, and that reply is lost in space. No warning whatsoever.

No warning? If the user can read, here's the default welcome message:

Welcome to our forums! Please take a moment to review and update your profile and preferences to take full advantage of our features. You can do this by clicking on Edit Profile and "Edit Preferences" in the My Stuff dropdown. Please do not reply to this message as this is just an automated welcome message to thank you for joining our community.

So, it does give them a bit of a warning and tells them it's just an automated welcome message wink

The reason the welcome message is just the user and doesn't involve the admin as well, is fairly simple. Say you have a big site and you get 20 new users a day. You'd have to delete all of those welcome messages every day, day after day as they'd be in your PM box as well.

As far as sending one and not adding any other users. It's intended and will have a future use. As Gizmo said, it's useful for keeping notes or reminding yourself of something, which I do quite a bit. As for it's future use, that will be how PM drafts will work. You can save an unfinished PM as a draft, and then add other users to it later.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
love the idea of PM drafts !! ty Rick

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
No warning? If the user can read, here's the default welcome message:

It says please don't, it does not say can not.

AS a user, I would expect hitting the reply button on message from person X, that the reply would end up with person X.

The welcome message is just an example. A user that sends a PM, deletes it to keep his box clear (there's a PM limit, so they keep things as tidy as possible, with the current system you would have to save every PM you might expect an answer to).

As far as sending one and not adding any other users. It's intended and will have a future use.

Well, all in all, with the current system, it's confusing for users. Atleast there should be a warning, and then maybe an option to start a new private topic.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Why not edit the wordlet to say something like:
Code
<font color="#FF0000">There are no participants in this Private Topic</font>

Then, they have to see it... unelss they're colour blind...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i think a pic of a hot chick would do the trick instead.. they would more than likely, stand to attention and read it

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Sirdude
i think a pic of a hot chick would do the trick instead.. they would more than likely, stand to attention and read it
<snicker> we have several "Hot Chicks" threads at my site lol... suprisingly, we get a lot of incoming traffic to them...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 598 guests, and 134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29