Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#193855 08/05/2007 5:00 PM
Addict
Addict
I have ImageMagick installed and have the two executables listed in the URL area of the board. I have enable the gallery options, and created a new forum area to use them. I made sure the gallery directory was writeable by internet visitors.

But when I try to load images into my gallery, they do not load into the directories. It creates the post, but the post has broken images, and the directories on the server are empty.

Any thoughts?

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=25

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
Addict
Addict
I'll add that I enabled CAPTCHA on this forum and it's working fine, so ImageMagick is being used by the forum software in that area. It would seem that ImageMagick is hooked in properly.

Just to clarify, I have attachments turned OFF in my forums. I don't have to turn them on to allow the gallery to work, do I? I thought the gallery handled that on its own, putting the files into the gallery directory ...

Last edited by BellaOnline; 08/05/2007 6:43 PM.

BellaOnline Website
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, you're on a Windows machine with IIS if memory serves properly; are the /tmp directory and the /gallery/large (med and smal) directories are writeable by your webserver?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes they would have to be or he would be having other board issues just running the board.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
well, the gallery directories wouldn't effect anything over the board but the gallery; the ubb's tmp directory shouldn't cause too many issues either...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
I'm a girrrrrl dragon smile

I had checked the /gallery/ directory, that was all set. I have now made sure the /tmp/ directory is also set to write for the IUSR account.

Any other ideas? Yes, I'm IIS on Windows, good memory Gizmo smile

BellaOnline Website
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
well, it's not just /gallery, it's:
/gallery/default/full
/gallery/default/medium
/gallery/default/thumbs

And not really a good memory, i just remember sinners :x... and by sinner i mean non *nix users :X...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by BellaOnline
I'm a girrrrrl dragon smile

Sorry about that Bella, will try to remember in the future.

I can't promise but if I get time I will try to check on this tomorrow.

What versions of the main software are you using again?

PHP?
MySQL?
ImageMagic?
etc...

So that I can attempt to duplicate your issue.

Addict
Addict
Well yes when I said gallery was set, I meant I'd propagated the permissions down the tree smile Right now there are 3 folders in that main gallery directory - 25, 26, default. Each has a full, medium, thumbs. They are all set.

I used UNIX for many years at biotechs, back in the 'old days'. I certainly appreciate UNIX for its features, but with what I need to do, Windows/IIS is just better suited smile It's like how I had to trade in my Mustang - after owning Mustangs for over 10 years straight - because it simply wouldn't fit more than 2 people smile

BellaOnline Website
Addict
Addict
I just downloaded the latest UBB today, and downloaded the latest ImageMagick today. I'm on PHP 5.2.1. I'm on MySQL 5.0.37.

BellaOnline Website
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay, I'll see if I can install those versions and test it out for you.

Do you have full admin rights on the system?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by BellaOnline
I just downloaded the latest UBB today, and downloaded the latest ImageMagick today. I'm on PHP 5.2.1. I'm on MySQL 5.0.37.

Which ImageMagick did you use?
ImageMagick-6.3.5-5-Q16-windows-dll.exe download download Win32 dynamic at 16 bits-per-pixel
ImageMagick-6.3.5-5-Q16-windows-static.exe download download Win32 static at 16 bits-per-pixel
ImageMagick-6.3.5-5-Q8-windows-dll.exe download download Win32 dynamic at 8 bits-per-pixel
ImageMagick-6.3.5-5-Q8-windows-static.exe download download Win32 static at 8 bits-per-pixel
ImageMagick-6.3.5-5-Q16-windows-x64-static.exe download download x64 static at 16 bits-per-pixel

Addict
Addict
all 3 of my servers are dedicated so I have full control over them. I remote term into them.

I'm afraid my brain is burnt out and I don't remember. I haven't gone to sleep yet and have been up all night long working on my forums. I *think* I used ImageMagick-6.3.5-5-Q16-windows-dll.exe.

It is working for CAPTCHA in the UBB forums, so in general it seems to be running. It's just not loading up at all on the gallery side. But maybe that's the loading part of the script and not the ImageMagick part? You'd think the image would load into TMP and then crash if it was ImageMagick, right? My tmp directory only has an index in it.

BellaOnline Website
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The tmp directory should only have stuff in it until the post is actually made. What you can do is upload the image, but don't actually post it. Check and see if there is anything in the tmp directory at that point. This will let us know if it's a problem in that stage or when they are supposed to be moved to their final location.

Addict
Addict
OK, so I began a new post, clicked 'image manager' and chose my JPG file. I accepted it, to go back to the posting form. It says "total files: 1" there. Without doing anything else, I checked out the forum/tmp directory - all that is in there is the index.html. There's no graphic files in there. I checked the permissions again, they definitely have IUSR to write. In fact I just have IUSR full permissions, and it's not making a difference.

So that does seem to be where to problem is. Any ideas what to test now? Again, I don't have attachments turned on anywhere. Should I try turning them on just to see if it helps? What would I set the directories to if I did?

BellaOnline Website
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Attachments definitely don't need to be turned on for the gallery to work. There is something that's preventing the tmp directory from being populated however. It uses the standard move_uploaded_file function() which should copy it from the real windows temp directory to the ubbthreads tmp directory.

It might be helpful to test and just turn on file attachments in a regular forum and try to attach some files. That way we're not debugging anything gallery related. It should still copy to the tmp directory first while making the post, and then move the attachments to their final location once the post has been submitted.

Addict
Addict
OK I turned on attachments for my news thread and sure enough, the file showed up first in the TMP directory, and then when I posted the post, the file moved over into the directory I'd set up to hold attachments. So that part is working.

Then I went back to my gallery and did the same thing with the same image - but the file never showed up in the TMP directory, nor anywhere else when I posted it.

BellaOnline Website
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, so let's backtrack a bit. You've filled out the Gallery Settings page and have that set to whatever it should be using, GD2 or ImageMagick?

Addict
Addict
Yup the two ImageMagick directory settings are in place, and I turned on CAPTCHA to test it out. CAPTCHA is working fine, generating images for new users.

In the gallery settings area, I have the drop-down set to Use ImageMagick and went with the defaults for all the other settings.

LOL ok CAPTCHA *was* working yesterday. I just went in today and it is NOT working. It's showing a broken box. I didn't change anything, although I did reboot the machine. Let me figure out why it stopped working ...

Last edited by BellaOnline; 08/06/2007 7:06 PM.

BellaOnline Website
Addict
Addict
AHA, well this is bad. Back before when I'd read about opening up CMD.EXE I tried it even though it is a HUGE security hole. That apparently made it work. When I turned it off, it stopped working. I just went in and opened up CMD.EXE to read/execute for ISUR and POOF, CAPTCHA is working again.

However, it didn't help the gallery issue. Even with CAPTCHA images showing up, I get no gallery, no file in the TMP directory. And I really can't leave that CMD open like that, so I need a different solution to handle the CAPTCHA working, too.

BellaOnline Website
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
With windows that's pretty much the only way if using ImageMagick. If you get GD2 with freetype support compiled in, that it's not necessary, as it doesn't have to use cmd.exe at all. So this would work for both captcha and the gallery.

As for the original gallery problem, it looks like it's going to require a support ticket so I can actually login via ftp and do some debugging. If it's still set to use IM at the time the ticket is opened, then cmd.exe would need to have the proper permissions again.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well if it's setup with IIS then it might also be using the Network Service account for the temp files. IIS_WPG

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\TEMP

Not saying that is the issue as I've not had time to look at it, but something to consider maybe.

Hopefully tonight (if Wife let's me have time) I can track down my IIS install issue and then check on the ImageMagic stuff.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Was not able to get to this yet.

The IIS issue I'm seeing on a couple systems is crashing my debugging program as well. Still checking on what's the root cause of this issue.

Addict
Addict
I don't seem to have any support tickets with my account. Is there any other way to investigate this?

BellaOnline Website
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Since this is a new featurem just go ahead and open up a standard support ticket, nothing required for that other than your license info.

Addict
Addict
OK I've added the entry and given you the access information for the server. Thanks! My users are dying for the gallery feature so it'll be great if we can get that working.

Once that's set, I will need to focus on getting this all to work in a non-Image-Magick way, for security reasons. I really can't leave the CMD open. But I'll worry about that later.

BellaOnline Website
stranger
stranger
Hi Everyone,

I'm having the same issue, but I am using GD2. I am also on a windows server running IIS. Perms are all set, but images will not write to the directory. Should I also open a support ticket?

Thanks,
Brendan

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yeah, that would be the best bet. Actually you can just put this on your install ticket that's currently open.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 1,248 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29