Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
It it just with the prepaid stuff that you have to pay for incoming calls?
no; but with postpaid we have what are called "anytime" minutes, which you can use for anything, but once you're out of your allotment you're paying for all calls.

some providers also have night and weekend minutes, which usually start at 8pm; but when in PST 8pm is 11pm eastern so obviously people don't want to talk to you about then lol...

We do a christmas present thingy on our forum for years now, where actual presents are send among forum members, been a great succes very year!
I used to participate in a secret santa at DCTalkSolo when I was helping the admin with coding and their forum; but he sold it to some other company since then.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
It it just with the prepaid stuff that you have to pay for incoming calls?
no; but with postpaid we have what are called "anytime" minutes, which you can use for anything, but once you're out of your allotment you're paying for all calls.

I used to be jealous when seeing american shows with all this teenage kids calling local how much they wanted because it was free smile Now not so jealous anymore laugh

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
They've never been free, parents are just stupid enough to get their kids phones... lol...

Those shows just show that it's "cool" to have your own phone, so you go and bug mom and dad for one of your own...

There are a bunch of cellphone commercials making fun of other providers, with a mom yelling at her kids for overusing text messages; rather entertaiing...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
a lot of children here have phones when they get to about 11. I am not keen on them having them much younger.

However they tend to be on PAYG so big bills cannot be run up.

addict
addict
There are a bunch of cellphone commercials making fun of other providers, with a mom yelling at her kids for overusing text messages; rather entertaiing...

I love that ad. VERY funny. smile

I just got a new cell phone a few days ago, and it has all the new stuff, including text-messaging. I sent a couple of text messages just for fun, and now I totally understand why the kids use shortcuts.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Rose
I sent a couple of text messages just for fun, and now I totally understand why the kids use shortcuts.

Now we only need to understand what the shortcuts mean smile

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
[Linked Image from blehnet.com]

hehe

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Can I borrow your bird SD? smile

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
sure you can smile

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
I'll teach him a new word then smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
'eh screw shortcuts, learn T9 prediction, things go way fast :x..

P
P Offline
Interesting discussion. I always thought that telephony in the US is cheaper but now it seems a lot more expensive, especially with the incoming calls frown

Is mobile broadband Internet access over 3G/HSPA (= cable-like speed) available in the US?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, we have Mobile Broadband with most carriers (Qwest, Verizon, TMobile, Cingular (AT&T)). This is ~$60/mo, though I can't comment on speeds as I haven't had a chance (nor would I want to sign up for a 2 year contract and buy a $200 PCMCIA card) to test it out.

The reason prices are going up is becuase a lot of people are discovering VOIP and SIP phones; so they're "loosing" money supposidly... even though most of them are converting their existing telephony to VOIP (so I just don't understand how they can justify hiking prices up).

Last edited by Gizmo; 09/16/2007 8:18 PM.

SD #197537 09/16/2007 10:37 PM
addict
addict
SD, that silly seagull was on the news a few weeks ago. Apparently the locals pitch in to pay for what he takes, so that the store will continue to let him shoplift. laugh

addict
addict
I use Virgin prepaid. No contracts, no fuss. We pay a bit extra for calls, but I'm not a big phone user, so it's perfect for me. I just top it up now and then, and never have to worry about contracts, bills, minutes, plans, etc.

It wouldn't be good for anyone who uses their cell a lot, but it's good for me. smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, if I where to choose something other than TMobile it'd be Virgin before anyone else (cost + features); TMobile has lower rates and better coverage; not to mention I have friends with TMobile so they can call me for free (though I'm on prepaid so it still costs me for the airtime)

I don't use my phone often but with TMobile so long as i have time on my phone I don't have to worry about my # expiring for a year (one of many benefits from being on Gold Rewards (gold rewards simply means you've paid more than $100 in airtime, so you get 15% more minutes and your expiration date is 1 year from your last topoff date)

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
T mobile Gold sounds good smile

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
'eh screw shortcuts, learn T9 prediction, things go way fast :x..

My cellphone is way too big, but has a keyboard. I used to refuse to textmessage, but I give it a go sometimes. But I still just *HATE* when somebody sents a text message with a question in it. Just call me, it's cheaper, and done with in a minute smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Lol fun...

I had a phone (I bought my mom the same model) had a full text QWERTY keyboard; but bluetooth was more important to me than that so i upgraded.

They have a new version of it that has bluetooth support, but i've grown to my camera on my phone hehe...

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I have two phones - my Nokia 9500 which has a full qwerty keyboard (due to a loss of use of my left hand, I struggle to text using keypad) - the other one is a Ameo with 5 inch screen laugh

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I need to, eventually when i get money, buy a smartphone to replace my PDA; my PDA doesn't support WPA and I refuse to run WEP (which at times is even too much to handle on it)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 686 guests, and 131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29