Hop To
#179758 03/01/2007 11:57 AM
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Hi,

I have just realised that emails are not being sent from our forums. For example I have some watched threads - I have 'By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?' set to yes.

I have also had people saying they do not get the emails, when I send them their passwords.

Other sites on the server do not have any issues with emailing from sites, so can only assume it is related to threads 7.1 only frown

Strange thing is that new user emails are being sent fine.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I cant help,
but you may get more answers in the "BUGS" forum? lol

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Since you have access to the server, a good thing would be to test. Login with a different account and then post to a thread that your main account is watching. At that same time, watch the mail log on the server and see if there is any activity. This way you can at least see if it's trying to send.

You can also do this with sending a user's password. Anything that emails should show up in the mail log.

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Mark S
I cant help,
but you may get more answers in the "BUGS" forum? lol

Nope - 'tisn't a bug IMHO AFAIK - there isn't really a 'I have problem' forum LOL

I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
You can also do this with sending a user's password. Anything that emails should show up in the mail log.

I have tested this again and it works fine.

Can't remember how to watch the mailog for the watched lists LOL

Originally Posted by Ian
Nope - 'tisn't a bug IMHO AFAIK - there isn't really a 'I have problem' forum LOL

Sorry just the way i read it i thought you had posted
in the wrong forum.

Sorry i cant help with your logs...

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Ian
Strange thing is that new user emails are being sent fine.

Even these have now failed - Ian Spence registered on my forums yesterday and even he did not get the new user email frown

Not good frown

Ian #180529 03/12/2007 11:01 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'm not exactly sure what you're using for your mailer on your server. Basically you need to find the logfile and then you can "tail -f" it while registering a user and you should be able to see what's happening.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Keep in mind that some ISPs filter out emails from ip's which are listed in spam databases; so it could be that messages could be deleted via this reasoning without user consent (and a LOT of ISP's do this now adays)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Okay - I have emails going to watch lists, bulk email, new users etc., however with one problem - the only person(s) to get any emails are those with accounts on the server.

For example I tried sending a bulk email out to users including Rick & Gizmo amongst others and I do not believe any of them got outside the server - whereas all my accounts on the server, got the emails fine.

All very strange.....

I will have to dig deeper....

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Definitely sounds like some sort of mail server configuration issue. Not really familiar with anything besides sendmail or I could offer some advice.

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
I am having a similar issue for what it's worth. I don't think I have access to the server's mail log files, is there any other debugging I can do? I recently upgraded to 7.1 and everything went smoothly except mails are not being sent. I am running on shared Windows/IIS hosting if that helps at all (ie, not sendmail-enabled). I had another post about this previously that was somewhat helpful but I was still not able to actually get the mails to send, and I am not sure where the process is breaking down exactly. I am pretty comfortable in PHP if there is a place in the code I could add some "echo" statements to help with debugging or something like that.

Thanks for any help!

Mark

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Mark, if your hosting isn't sendmail enabled you can try to set the SMTP server. There is an option for this under Primary Settings -> Advanced in 7.1

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Awesome, is there a way to set what user it accesses the SMTP server as? Will it just use the forum contact email username? Our situation is slightly complicated because the email address we have for our forum contact is not a valid email on the SMTP server we are trying to use.

Last edited by cornishcollege; 03/13/2007 5:36 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Message me all of the IP's you own on the server, I'll run them through a spamcheck and see if any are listed.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Problem solved (I think!)

Hopefully anyone with an account on my site, got an email smile

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"Okay - I have emails going to watch lists, bulk email, new users etc., however with one problem - the only person(s) to get any emails are those with accounts on the server."

mail server doesn't know it's supposed to send mail to people not local. Or more to the point, HOW to do so.

This sendmail, exim, or qmail?

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
I
Ian
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I found the problem - it was because at some point I decided to put in a mailserver into the the advanced section of primary features - not sure why LOL - I think it may have been an earlier attempt to fix the non-emailing of several of the components.

As a result all mail was going to addresses on the server, but not to anything external - the script was not even attempting to send them - it wasn't as if they were hitting the mail queue or anything.

Anyway as far as I can tell the problem is solved - thanks for everyone's help. I have tested as widely as I can - and at last I know have new members registering.....

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Ian
Hopefully anyone with an account on my site, got an email smile
Yes, I did... I also just logged in and chose not to recieve email notices lol...

Originally Posted by David Dreezer
mail server doesn't know it's supposed to send mail to people not local. Or more to the point, HOW to do so.
I was saying that recipients could be unknowingly having their email filtered; with how anal retentive spam mail filters are becoming it's almost a given that legit email langs in bulk mail bins. Additionally a lot of "missconfigured"/"hijacked" mailservers (or scripts) are exploited daily, which can also land a site in an email blacklist, which also attributes to mail being filtered (even to the circular recycling bin).

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Originally Posted by cornishcollege
Awesome, is there a way to set what user it accesses the SMTP server as? Will it just use the forum contact email username? Our situation is slightly complicated because the email address we have for our forum contact is not a valid email on the SMTP server we are trying to use.

Bump? Anyone have any ideas?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Currently, you'd need to edit the libs/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php file. Around line 174 of that file you'll see where it has some settins for SMTPAuth to turn it on and specify the Username and Password that you connect as.

Rick #200817 11/07/2007 12:08 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R Offline
I'm a little confused by this. If you make a change in the class.phpmailer.php file, do you need to do anything else? ie. do you have to make a change in the advanced option field?

Thanks,
Randy

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 591 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29