Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#201994 11/25/2007 11:02 PM
M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
Make the photo gallery a true media gallery. Word Docs, pictures, movies, pdf's and literally anything you wish to post and share.

I also think you should beef up the users personal page to be more like myspace with information and presentation to all users. You are 1 step from away from having the ultimate community software. 1 step...

Have a profile display area similar to myspace and expand the user rating system to include all content by selection.

===================

I have a huge project I am working on right now and I could almost see this being a viable solution for it if you make a few additions.

Message Boards and photos are limiting. I know I can select extension types that are allowed to be uploaded. You should support them with icons etc. to help identify the media. Allow users to have friends pages as well. There are many products offering this type of stuff but not anywhere near as powerful as this software is in permissions, messaging and possible configuration of displayed output.

My thoughts..

Happy Customer !!!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I believe all/most of that is being worked on for 7.3, check the changelog smile

I hope we consider expanding the usage of the profile page in coming versions too, including the blog and recent images in the gallery. One thing left would be to show 'buddies' in there and have a personal guestbook others could leave comments on. It's a natural progression for the profile and one that would push .threads to leap-frog myspace/facebook in functionality.

Default profiles to not be viewable by the public and allow the users to decide if they want to 'publish' their profile page.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
M
Addict
Addict
M Offline
You see my vision AllenAyres laugh

Happy Customer !!!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well I would imagine that permissions for a normal user would also need some updates to support items like mentioned.
Along with an easier to use/understand mini-control panel so to speak for allowing who can see what.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Yep, a download-center where you can upload and let other users download files would be awesome. Almost like the Gallery, but with downloads instead. It could look very similar.
And maybe like UBB.Gallery but you can view videos and download them of course? smile UBB.Downloads and UBB.Videos. So you can have "Latest Videos" and "Latest Downloads" in the portal, and maybe you can even download the file or preview the video directly without going to the file. You should probably be able to mix all these 3. So lets say you have uploaded something in UBB.Downloads, but you would also like to add photos and a video tutorial, well, that should be an option if you want.
It's important to not make everything messy, and I think Rick have so far managed to integrate the Gallery and Threads, very smoothly and clean, so I think it is very possible with Downloads, Videos and other types of files/media.
The best thing with UBB is that these kind of stuff is integrated and optional and is free, with Invision Power Board (IP.Gallery is $65 ($30 for 1 year of upgrades and tech support) and IP.Blog is $50 ($20 for 1 year of upgrades and tech support) and IP.Downloads is $50 ($25 for 1 year of upgrades and tech support) but you can buy a community suite for a small discount and the updates are discounted also, but you still have to pay for updates to these modules. And vBulletin for the blog module $50 ($20 for 1 year of updates) and project tools $50 ($20 for 1 year of updates) you have to pay quite much for these features. It is awesome that these kind of stuff is included for free with UBB, very nice! smile So UBB has a big advantage, so lets keep it!

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Mors
You see my vision AllenAyres laugh

We've been discussing this for a while while waiting on all the changes being made for 7.3. The wait has been longer than anticipated but with everything that has been done I think it will be well-worth it. smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (DennyP, 1 invisible), 969 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29