Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T Offline
Is it possible to have postings on cetain forums automatically deleted after X days?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't believe that there are currently no auto-prune settings in UBB7

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
T Offline
Ok. How about a feature request then?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'll move 'er one up to Feedback & Suggestions.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
For me this is feature request #1.

It's not so much the pruning itselve that I am missing, I can do that manually via control panel if I really want to delete with
time settings, but the expeptions that you could set with UBB <7 with the "keep topic" option is the one that would be a lot of work to hack in every time with a new version.

There are also an idea I want to implement on my forum that needs the "Keep this topic"/"auto prune" combo.

Last edited by blaaskaak; 07/17/2007 5:40 AM.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
I agree, I have requested this a few times since the first beta release. I hope this is something that will come back soon smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
On our board geared for Admin Scripting they get upset when they find posts deleted. tongue

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I too don't agree with auto pruning data; though I operate sites that enjoy having outdated data, as it's never really outdated...

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
The only thing we use it for is a classified section. After lets say 60 days from the last post if forum is marked for auto delete, all those posts would be removed. And if topic was flagged as kept it wouldn't be included in auto prune or pruning through cp

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
That would be a practical application; with any luck, should this be added as a feature, it work on a forum by forum (non-global) basis...

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Yes, thats how it used to be. In the cp under forum settings, there was an option for each forum.

veteran
veteran
We have (had) a section for Special Offers and these usually have an expiry date. The autoprune feature would be an advantage here otherwise you have lists of outdated info posted and have to go through manually and delete. Also useful when posting info about upcoming events, etc.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
This will definitely be making a comeback in a future version. At some point we'll be spending major time with each release to improve existing features. For a couple more releases we'll continue to add new major features with basic functionality, like a subscription system, user blogs, etc. Once we have all of the major features covered then we'll revisit them all and see how we can make everything better.

I hate deleting so could move be built into it ? wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Now THEREs a feature... Auto Move... Have it auto move items from Forum A to Archive Forum B...

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
I like laugh

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I could actually really go for an "Auto Move"; so long as it did its calculations based off of the last reply and not topic creation time...

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Same for auto delete :thumb:

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I could actually really go for an "Auto Move"; so long as it did its calculations based off of the last reply and not topic creation time...

Auto pruning always was based off the last reply in classic and threads 6.x.

Automove, archiving, great. Looking forward to that, and there are already topics about this in this suggestion forum. But the basic Auto Pruning functionallity is still way on top of the wishlist for me.

Last edited by blaaskaak; 07/19/2007 3:56 AM.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I too don't agree with auto pruning data; though I operate sites that enjoy having outdated data, as it's never really outdated...

We've been deleting older messages as long as I can remember. In later years we moved stuff to an homemade archive, but before that it was just lost.

For us it's simple a matter of how much diskspace we can use. That limit has gone up over the years, but we still have our limits.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Oh I know how that goes... When I first acquired our community I figured we'd "start fresh" and purged everything...

Newer times and I'm wondering how much good "Google Food" I purged...

I do however happen to have a backup of all that old data, in a threads7.0beta format, but I'm still waiting for a UBB.T7 -> UBB.T7 importer so I can merge forums...

I have several sites I closed, and have stuff to merge here and there on my active sites, but I wait patiently until then...

veteran
veteran
Auto Move is good. You could then set up a private forum for Admins and call it "Recycle Bin". Then you could either empty the contents completely or skim through just in case something shouldn't have been deleted and reinstate it.

I like. grin

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We have a BoneYard, though that's full of posts that where reaped hehe

veteran
veteran
I've been thinking about this and can't see how it would work. If you set a private/invisible forum (e.g. Recycle Bin) for auto move threads how would your members be able to assign an auto move to a forum that they can not see? It would have to be auto delete, not move. confused

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Who says the auto move forum would have to be invisible? And the users would have no part in it, the admin would signify the source and destination forums and how often to migrate items...

You could have an "Auto Archive" by utilizing "Auto Move" into a predefined archive forum...

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
This will definitely be making a comeback in a future version.

Any news in which future version?

I am at a point (as in available diskspace assigned to us that's getting nearer the limit that our generous sponsor assigned to our board) that I either need this to come back for 7.3, or start making it myself.

veteran
veteran
I just created a thread that would be ideal for this feature: 15th Dec 2007 Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29