Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#203999 12/28/2007 6:50 PM
F
F Offline
I made one small mod to the viewmessage.tpl file and uploaded it. Now the messages themselves are not showing up, neither does the subject or the name of the poster, tho their data on the lefthand column and their signature both do show up.

I changed the permissions on the file several different ways, uploaded by three different means (FTP program, control panel, and hosting providers upload utility), took the mod out of the file, and uploaded the file from the zip file. Nothing seems to resolve the problem.

HELP!

Thanks.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
It isn't 100% clear in your post - have you uploaded an original unedited file to your site?

F
F Offline
Sorry, yes, I did upload an original unedited version.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Purge the templates/compiled/ data and refresh your cache.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
F
F Offline
Thanks Gizmo ... please forgive my ignorance, but how do you do that?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Load up your FTP client, navigate to your forum directory then the templates/compiled directory, select all data, delete all data (ensure you're in the compiled directory as this is the ONLY data you want to purge)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
F
F Offline
Ok, thanks, I just did that and they're still not showing up.

F
F Offline
Any suggestions what to try next? It hardly seems like uploading a change to the template would've caused this, and yet it seems as though that's when it happened. It's obviously reading from the database because it's pulling the members' data and their signatures and putting them in place, plus listing all the messages in the PM, but the subject line and the message itself is missing.

Last edited by Fern; 12/28/2007 9:50 PM.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
If it started happening when you uploading the changed template then it's definitely related. Any other modifications or just that one?

I see you have a ticket open as well. If you can provide the FTP information in that ticket as well as the admin info for the forum itself, I'll take a look.

Rick #204022 12/28/2007 10:04 PM
F
F Offline
Thanks, Rick. I added the access info to the ticket.

F
F Offline
What I don't understand is why making a small mod (I added align="right" to the td for the "Remove myself from this topic" button) and uploading it via WS_FTP Pro, would cause this. AND, if it was because it didn't like my mod, why changing it back and uploading it, or uploading a fresh unchanged file directly from the zipped UBB.threads 7.1.1 file, wouldn't correct it.

BTW, the reason I was making that mod is because our users were complaining that the "Remove myself" button seemed more like the intuitive button to click on than the "Submit" one in the PMs.

Fern #204066 12/29/2007 11:34 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, it wasn't the template that was the problem, rather the scripts/viewmessage.inc.php. I uploaded a stock copy of that and it's working now.

Rick #204067 12/29/2007 11:41 AM
F
F Offline
Thanks Rick!

So what would've corrupted that file?

Fern #204070 12/29/2007 11:51 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Well it was actually modified, not corrupt. There were a few changes to the code, and one of them happened to not be assigned the body of the PM properly.

Rick #204072 12/29/2007 11:54 AM
F
F Offline
That's weird, because I didn't modify it.

Was it something that got modified in the process of my modifying the other file?

If so, how do I safely modify individual files?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Files don't modify themselves (short of running an upgrade or updating an item from the CP, which would only be language and template files); someone had to have specifically edited the file if it differed from the stock file.

F
F Offline
Seeing as no one else has access to those files except Rick with the access info I gave him yesterday, and seeing as I didn't modify them, *something* modified it.

I'm hoping Rick gives me a bit more insight into what was actually changed from the original stock file.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The original script was changed back in August. It looks like the template was changed at the same time. So there was a modification done to both the script and the template back then. When the stock template was uploaded to try and fix the problem with the mod you just tried to do, it didn't work because the script still had the modification in it. Which is why the PMs were blank.

So fixing it required replacing the template and the script.

F
F Offline
Rick, August would've been when I upgraded the forums. I truly have not made any modifications (until yesterday) from how they came right out of the zip file. Unzipped them, uploaded them, and there they've been working away.

Also, the PMs were blank before I uploaded the stock template. I uploaded the stock template in an attempt to fix the blank PMs.

Can you tell me what the modifications were in the files? I can't go back and compare now since you'ver overwritten it so if you could clue me in a bit I'd really appreciate it.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by Fern
BTW, the reason I was making that mod is because our users were complaining that the "Remove myself" button seemed more like the intuitive button to click on than the "Submit" one in the PMs.

Incidentally in 7.3 the location of this button has been moved. smile

Ian #204165 12/31/2007 10:10 PM
F
F Offline
Ok, I figured out what happened. I said that I was using version 7.1.1 when in reality I had upgraded to version 7.2.1 in August. My mistake!

So when I tried to fix my problem, I uploaded a version of the file from 7.1.1 which ended up with the PMs blank. Rick then evidently looked at the script and it wasn't the correct 7.1.1 version that I said I was using, so he assumed the file had been modified and uploaded the stock 7.1.1 version. The PMs then worked. However, the new features of 7.2.1 were now absent.

When I realized my mistake today I uploaded version 7.2.1 of both of those files and all is well: the PMs work and the 7.2.1 features are in place once again, to the happiness of our forum users.

Thanks again for your help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29