Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T Offline
I am doign a clean install on a new server. The server is Windows 2003 SP2 and I am running the latest PHP and MYSQL. When I start the install script and get to Step 3 I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in C:\WEB SITES\UBBTHREADS\install\install.php on line 505

What do I need to tweak? I have compared mysql.ini from old and new machine. I have compared PHP.ini from old to new machine and I think it is ok, but I cannot figure this out. Please help.

Travis

P
P Offline
You need to comment out the following line in php.ini:
extension=mysql.dll

T
T Offline
I don't have that line in my php.ini. The closest thing I have is:
[PHP_MYSQL]
extension=php_mysql.dll

Should I comment that out?

Travis

T
T Offline
I am 99% I need that in there, but as a point of interest commenting it in or out does not seem to make a difference.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Travis

T
T Offline
I have also tried pasting the php_mysql.ddl file into both the c:\windows and the c:\windows\syustem32 directories, restarted the server and no joy - no change. Help.....

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Sorry to hear you are having problems.

I am a linux man, otherwise I would try and help.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to assist smile

T
T Offline
Thanks for the help. I hope so as well. It must be with some sort of config issue with PHP5, MYSQL5 and Windows 2003 Server. I have oehter PHP5 driven sites on this serer and workgin normally, but this is the first MYSQL5/PHP5 driven site I am installing on this server and somethign must not be lining up.

Travis

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The error says that your php does not have the mysql_connect function built or added in.

The reference to it needs to be uncommented in php.ini and then the webserver, IIS I am guessing, restarted. You also want to make sure the referenced dll file is in the location for php extensions and defined in the ini. PHP needs to be able to find the .dll on server startup. Also make sure there is not another php.ini floating around in the root of the site itself overriding the main one.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Let us know if this fixes it or not, or if you need further assistance.

for versions of PHP >= 5, you need to explicitly define the mysql extension dll in the php.ini file (in the section that says 'dynamic extensions').

PHP < 5 has mysql "built in".

JakChat.com -- Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Ubuntu-Indonesia.com -- Forums for Indonesia's Ubuntu Users
from http://id2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php :

Originally Posted by php.net
PHP 5+

MySQL is not enabled by default, nor is the MySQL library bundled with PHP. Read this FAQ for details on why. Use the --with-mysql[=DIR] configure option to include MySQL support. You can download headers and libraries from » MySQL.

JakChat.com -- Forums for Indonesia's English-speaking community
Ubuntu-Indonesia.com -- Forums for Indonesia's Ubuntu Users
T
T Offline
I added the following to the dynamic extensions portion of the php.ini file - still no go.

extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_mysqli.dll

Same result. Is there another one I shoudl load there?

Travis

T
T Offline
This is what I have tried:

1. my php.ini file did not that the php_mysql.dll under the dynamic extension portion of the file. it is now there as this:

extension=php_mysql.dll

2. The php.ini file (and there is only one on this entire server) says the extension folder is here:

extension_dir ="C:\PHP\ext"

3. I have checked the c:\php\ext directory and I have confirmed that the php_mysql.dll file is located there. There are alos numerous other files located here as well.

So why oh why is this not working....

Travis

T
T Offline
I also created a phpinfo.php page at the root and I noticed that when I go to it with a browser it doesn't specify that I have loaded and extension of any kind. Should it?

Travis

T
T Offline
Hmm....also when checking that out I see the following:

extension_dir C:\php5(local) C:\php5(master)

But I do not have a php5 directory nor have I ever. I have just c:\PHP. What gives?
Travis

T
T Offline
Still searching - no go....I went through the entire registry and saw that PHP was references correcly everywhere at c:\php not c:\php5. I Googled a bit and see the same error here and there but no fixes.

Travis

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi Travis,

Please have a look here on setting up PHP w/MySQL on Server 2003 IIS

PHP installation issues

Pay close attention to item f.

f. Create a new System variable called PHPRC – set it’s value to the path to the PHP directory (e.g. C:\php)

You can also look here for similar discussion

IIS / WAMP ??

T
T Offline
OK - this prety much brought all of my PHP based sites down. i am now in the process of trying to undo all of this and get the sites there were workgin back up and online.

There must be an easier way to do this - there has to be. Are there no step-by-steps for this product?

Travis

T
T Offline
OK in the process of undoing everything, it would seem the one thing that broke the rest of my PHP sites was the good olf PHPRC thang. As soon as I undid that everything was up and running again.

Travis

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
THIS script uses the standard PHP -> MySQL handler that comes with your webserver installation; so there aren't any step by step guides for installing the webserver as that is out of the scope of the forum software...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
T Offline
Then why is it in order to install the latest and greatest on a brand new server the typical install doesn't work? I would day it is well within the scope since the product (I purchased 6 copies and I still run UBB.CLASSIC as well) won't run. It just won't period - end of story. I have been working on it all day.....it just aint happening.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Interesting... if I get time I'll do some investigation at work tomorrow...

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
What does your phpinfo() say about mysql?

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
T
T Offline
Nothing actually......and in going back to 5.2.4 for PHP I am getting closer....stay tuned........

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Travis,

The only reason your other sites run PHP (what applications, sites do you have running PHP?) is because you must be lucky.
If you can't get a normal PHP page to return back the proper information then I don't see how other sites work.

Following the directions on the site I supplied has allowed every 2003 Server I've setup (about 7 or 8 of them) to run PHP properly.

PHP is PHP and not dependent on running UBBT or some other Web application. Each application may have other requirements for add-ons or security settings but plain old PHP should be able to run all the basic commands.

My guess is that you kept a copy of php.ini in the C:\WINDOWS folder even though you're not supposed to. Somewhere, somehow the system is probably seeing conflicting information.

You also need to have security setup for certain folders such as the %temp% folder in Windows.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If your PHPInfo says you don't have MySQL, you don't have MySQL setup properly; again, this is not a UBB issue, it's your server.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
More than likely it's related to this:

extension_dir C:\php5(local) C:\php5(master)

You stated you didn't have a php5 directory. There is another recent topic where we worked with another person on something similar. In order to load the extensions such as mysql it needs to know what directory to look in. So the extension_dir needs to be changed to the proper directory that contains the extensions such as php_mysql.dll

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,009 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29