Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Good day,

I have a couple questions. I have been to forums like mine that are set up that you have to be a member and log in before you can see anything on the board. All you see is a message that states you must be a member to enter the forum and click here to register.

Can this be done with threads? If so how do you do it?

Next question topic views:

I prefer to have each posted post count as a view. Right now that isn't happening on my board. I have 62 posted replies but 30 views. It looks silly to me and in my business topic views are important and every forum has it set up the way it was in the past, not the way it is now. Can this be changed on my board, and if so, how do you do it?

I have been a long time member of infopop/groupee/ubb/threads and I would like to make the above changes to my board.

While some want to see real hits, I am not interested in real hits and I can't show what it does now as it costs me business, because it makes the board look not as busy. I know that sounds a bit deceptive, but when you are competing with other boards that have that setup you are handicapped.

Thanks for reading and I thank you in advance for your answers.

http://www.freaksforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes, simply set guests "view" level in each forum to "none" (permissions tab in the edit forum page in the control panel), then when they view your forum, they'll see nothing but a text similar to "There are no forums for you to view" (which can be edited in the language editor).

Views are cached; trust me, it's better like this... The cached data should be added to the amount of views every time there is a post anywhere on your forum though.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Thanks for the reply Gizmo. I must be really blind or dumb because I don't see the edit forum page in the control panel.

I am holding off replying further until I can get to where you are telling me that I need to go. smile

I tried to PM you but got an error when doing it...

We encountered a problem. The reason reported was
Script: /home/ubbcentral/domains/ubbcentral.com/public_html/forums/scripts/viewmessage.inc.php
Line#: 165
SQL Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 15
SQL Error #: 1064
Query: SELECT p.POST_ID, t.TOPIC_SUBJECT, p.USER_ID, p.POST_BODY, p.POST_TIME, u.USER_DISPLAY_NAME, up.USER_TITLE, up.USER_RATING, up.USER_AVATAR, up.USER_AVATAR_WIDTH, up.USER_AVATAR_HEIGHT, u.USER_REGISTERED_ON, up.USER_TOTAL_POSTS, up.USER_LOCATION, up.USER_SIGNATURE, up.USER_CUSTOM_TITLE, up.USER_ACCEPT_PM, up.USER_HOMEPAGE, up.USER_VISIBLE_ONLINE_STATUS, up.USER_MOOD, up.USER_NAME_COLOR,u.USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL FROM ubbt_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_POSTS p, ubbt_USERS u, ubbt_USER_PROFILE up, ubbt_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_TOPICS t WHERE p.TOPIC_ID = 2822 AND p.TOPIC_ID = t.TOPIC_ID AND p.USER_ID = u.USER_ID AND u.USER_ID = up.USER_ID ORDER BY p.POST_TIME LIMIT 0,

Please click back to return to the previous page.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I got 6 pt's from you as well...

When you go to the CP, click Forum Management, then edit a forum, then click permissions, then set "guests" to "no view"

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
There is some weird things going on. I had the message blinking notification and all that was there was a copy of my post of the error.

Weird

I don't have the forum management option in my control panel.

# Forum Settings
# Category Settings
# Moderator Settings
# Group Management

If I go to forum settings all of my created forums are there, I went into one of them and visitors are there with the option of no access which must be what you are talking about. Thing is do I have to do this for each and every forum topic, I have 20 some topics options, and I would hate to have to do this to everyone one of them to see what the site looked like while not logged in.

There has to be an easier way? I would like to talk to you via messenger, I have MSN, Yahoo and AOL, if you can PM me one to reach you I would appreciate it.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
CP -> Forums -> Forum Settings -> Details -> Forum Permissions
"No Access" is the option you're looking for; which gives the group 0 access to the forum (they can't see, post, or create threads).

I'm sure that people could craft an SQL query for you to go through and update this for every forum, however I have company.

Also, I don't offer private support for non-clients, as people come by with the same questions and by keeping support private they have to ask the same question again and again

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by FREAK
Good day,

I have a couple questions. I have been to forums like mine that are set up that you have to be a member and log in before you can see anything on the board. All you see is a message that states you must be a member to enter the forum and click here to register.

Can this be done with threads? If so how do you do it?

If you are doing this, then i would suggest having one forum visible just to guests - this would explain a little bit about your forums, and why they should sign up - perhaps with a screenshot of what members can see to tempt them.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I tried to PM you but got an error when doing it...

We encountered a problem. The reason reported was
Script: /home/ubbcentral/domains/ubbcentral.com/public_html/forums/scripts/viewmessage.inc.php
Line#: 165
SQL Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 15
SQL Error #: 1064
Query: SELECT p.POST_ID, t.TOPIC_SUBJECT, p.USER_ID, p.POST_BODY, p.POST_TIME, u.USER_DISPLAY_NAME, up.USER_TITLE, up.USER_RATING, up.USER_AVATAR, up.USER_AVATAR_WIDTH, up.USER_AVATAR_HEIGHT, u.USER_REGISTERED_ON, up.USER_TOTAL_POSTS, up.USER_LOCATION, up.USER_SIGNATURE, up.USER_CUSTOM_TITLE, up.USER_ACCEPT_PM, up.USER_HOMEPAGE, up.USER_VISIBLE_ONLINE_STATUS, up.USER_MOOD, up.USER_NAME_COLOR,u.USER_MEMBERSHIP_LEVEL FROM ubbt_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_POSTS p, ubbt_USERS u, ubbt_USER_PROFILE up, ubbt_PRIVATE_MESSAGE_TOPICS t WHERE p.TOPIC_ID = 2822 AND p.TOPIC_ID = t.TOPIC_ID AND p.USER_ID = u.USER_ID AND u.USER_ID = up.USER_ID ORDER BY p.POST_TIME LIMIT 0,

Please click back to return to the previous page.

If you are getting that here - please post a report of this in the bug forum.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
If I go to forum settings all of my created forums are there, I went into one of them and visitors are there with the option of no access which must be what you are talking about. Thing is do I have to do this for each and every forum topic, I have 20 some topics options, and I would hate to have to do this to everyone one of them to see what the site looked like while not logged in.

If you do this to one of your forums, then access your site via another browser (if you normally use IE, use FireFox, or Opera) and then you will not be logged in. You can then see what affect your changes are having on your forum, without keep logging in and out.

Thanks for the replies. A lot of work to test it all out.

Let me ask this regarding topic views, is there a way it can be changed? I don't care about unique hits, as the forums I compete for advertising dollars aren't set up like mine. Thus when advertisers look at the forums I look like not much is going on compared to them.

I understand the need for some to want to have unique visitors but my business is different in nature.

Let me know and thanks for the help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 694 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29