Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
Being aware of what users do and don’t, and how your board develops over time is an important factor for me as a administrator of a community, though with UBB I find this difficult as there are few or no tools unless they are hidden away somewhere hard to find.

Basically I would have liked to see in the control panel some proper statics of activity on the board and what user use of its functions. I would hope something like that, maybe not down to every little detail but at least more than today and earlier!

To give you all an idea I was thinking about things like:
  • How many uses threaded/flat mode...
  • How many uses the different languages…
  • How many users the different styles...
  • Number of new posts/topics, replies…
  • Number of new member signups…
  • Number of Private Massages sent …
...and plenty of other things that potentially could be interesting stats!

I would imagine it to be non dynamic, saved in a separate table per day/week so that it does not need query the database over and over. Not sure that would require a CRON script or similar, but I can imagine it as well could work as a simple generate statistics button that then calculated everything new since the last time it was used (at least for many things).

With this data saved regularly it should be a piece of cake to use it to produce some nice graphs or similar tables showing its development over time... it would also help too see what parts of forums are working good, if there is need for a certain language, if a style is used or simply just something to remove, and in general have a better overview of the activity going on.

Would this be something interesting at all for the community? Can only speak for myself...

I agree, it would be very useful for me to know specifically what each forum (or sub-forum) was getting in the way of topic views, posts, etc.

We have 10 banner groups (due in part to the limit of custom islands to 10) and we put groups of forums into these banner groups.

Why? Because some forums get more traffic than others and we are attempting to make the banner views somewhat equal for advertisers.

Having better stats would go a long way to validating our banner group methodology.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
as it would be in the CP, it doesn't matter about pulling data from the DB as it wouldn't be requested like crazy to require it being archived for X amout of time... that is unless you're a stats nazi and refresh the page every minute... lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
What would be really cool is to have the ability in the CP to put in a date range and have it export to a CSV or similar format.

Then you could use the data in a variety of ways and not just have a bunch of stats sitting on the screen.

O
stranger
stranger
O Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
as it would be in the CP, it doesn't matter about pulling data from the DB as it wouldn't be requested like crazy to require it being archived for X amout of time... that is unless you're a stats nazi and refresh the page every minute... lol
If was more thinking that the data might need to be saved for proper history since some might prune posts and user at one point. That would then screw up stats, so in that case it would be better if everything was saved / generate once, thought with the option to rebuild certain dates if need be of course.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 546 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29