Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#206065 02/06/2008 12:54 PM
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
I'm waiting for 7.3 before I do any upgrading. My question is this: What is a good strategy for the eventual move of my discussion board into a brand new hosting service with the plan of importing and exporting my data from my 7.1.1 board to the new one?

In other words, what should I be doing now to prepare for this move to the new ISP and carry over the topics and threads from 7.1.1 to 7.3?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I believe gizmo wrote a 'how-to' on moving your forum, it shouldn't be any different from that. It's 'stickied' to the top of this forum:

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...s_UBB_Threads_7_x_Transf.html#Post178189

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
Is there one for "dumbier dummies?" I seriously got lost in step one--how sad am I. I keep hearing about PHPmyadmin--I don't even know how to use that.

It looks like I'm just going to have to use support credits for this one. smile

Last edited by harry; 02/06/2008 1:50 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well just an FYI - You may want to setup and install 7.3 on your local computer to test it out and get comfortable with it.
There are a LOT of new features and changes to get accustomed to.

Moving to a new host provider and changing the board software at the same time might be a frustrating event if you're not ready for it.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
Thanks ntdoc for the suggestion.
Does anyone see a problem with doing a fresh install of 7.3 into my new host, then when I get it configured transfer the old board into the new one?

I think I can manage doing a fresh install. I just don't know about the transfer part. Any thoughts?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The easiest thing I think would be to install your current version on the new server. Then just do an upgrade in place.

But might be nice to hear from others that may have actually already done it and not just theory. wink

I have command line access but many users don't so things are different between the two.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd recommend upgrading your current install to the current build of UBB.Threads, then install it again at your new location. Now you'll need to dump your mysql database and you'll need a script to interact with your database (PHPMyAdmin) unless you feel comfortable with using mysqldump from your command line...

Now that I've confused you, you can also hire someone to do the transition for you (such as myself)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you have or can get SSH command line access to your system then we can probably walk you right through it.

If you're uncomfortable with such data manipulation then you may want to consider Gizmo's proposal.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (DennyP, 1 invisible), 969 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29