Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Hi folks. I help to moderate and admin for a new site using this system. Let me explain our situation. We just started up a new site, using UBB. When we first set it up at our new hosting site, we had forwarding on the old domain, forwarding to the old hosting server, so members could continue to access the old site while we set up the new one.

As such, we set up an alias domain to work on the new site. When going to this alias, we got to see exactly the way the new site would look when we turned off the forwarding and Alias.

Once we turned off the forwarding and alias, some of the links were still relative to the alias, and some links simply needed to be reformatted. So, at this time, the four of us setting up the new site all started getting the error:

"The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again."

None of us were behind a firewall, so we ended up tracking the problem down to improperly formatted links and the fact that certain parts of the site were still looking for the alias. Basically, the threads software was trying to prevent outside unauthorized or "unrecognized" domains from posting to the message boards, like a security thing. For example, if someone logged in through www.ourdomain.org/forums and tried posting, it gave the error, however, if they logged in through the proper subdomain, forums.ourdomain.org/forums, then we DIDN'T get the error.

Long story short, we fixed that problem, adding a few variations of our domain to the list of allowed domains for referer check, fixing improper links, etc. and it became a non-issue. EXCEPT for one new member of the site. When she goes to our homepage and logs in, more often than not she gets the exact same error message listed above.

The weird thing with her is, she wasn't a member when we got the problem to start with - she has no reason to have any favorites or files in her cache which point to a "disallowed" referer check domain. We've verified she's going to the correct homepage address, and have asked her to check the link in the address bar at each point she has problems (namely, when posting and when getting the error.) All addresses check out as correct.

She is using XP, IE 7.0. We have had her delete the "Favorites" version of the site, clear cache and cookies, and have walked her through multiple times trying this out. Each time she gets this error when posting. The most recent thing I have suggested she do is to try a completely different browser (I suggested Firefox) and see if she still has the issue. I figure, if the problem recurs, it's either something in our configuration, or something on her computer in general. But if it DOESN'T recur in a different browser, it seems like it must be a problem in IE on her side....

Originally, she had the problem at her workplace AND at her home, which first led me to believe it was a problem on OUR end in the Control Panel. Since then, it has started working perfectly for her at work, but home is still an issue. Being a tech guy in my day-job, too, I always hate to jump to the conclusion that it's "User Error," but I'm getting closer to believing that's the case this time. I just can't figure out what is happening to CAUSE this error for her, regardless of whether it's on our end or hers.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
This error, especially when occouring with one (or a small handful) of user(s) happens when they're using a security suite (generally norton or symantec) which blocks the Referrer Variable for "security". They should add your site(s) to their allowed list or disable the option altogether within their application.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Thanks, Gizmo - just to clarify, she told me today that she has "turned off her firewall," but that might not necessarily be the only thing blocking the referer variable, right? So, it would be better to just add our site as a safe site, so we know we're covering all the bases that might be blocking it, right?

Thanks again, this should help!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, each program will have its own list of trusted sites... Myself I say to just disable this option within the program (rather than disable the program altogether) as it's really quite silly and anal retentive to be THAT secretive on the internet... I mean, if you're submitting forms on a site, chances are they're going to figure you're submitting them from a valid location and will know where that is wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
smile Okay, good point! Thanks again for the info. Have yet to hear back from her if she tried this or not. (A bit high maintenance, that one.... wink )

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29