Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
veteran
veteran
Microsoft expects the latest Windows operating system, code-named Windows 7, to be released "sometime in the next year or so".

The software giant has been aiming to issue more regular updates of the operating system software that powers the majority of the world's PCs. Nevertheless, Bill Gates comments suggest that a successor to Vista might be released sooner than was generally expected. Microsoft has said it expects to release a new version of Windows approximately three years after the introduction of Vista in January 2007. The new versions of Windows will help revolutionise mobile phones and run the desk of the future, which would have a touch surface display allowing users to call up items using their hands.

Windows Vista is taking a while to catch on, with just 6.3 percent of enterprise users on the OS by the end of 2007. According to research most upgrades were from users of Windows 2000 which lost around six percent of users rather than XP, which Vista is intended to replace. Around a quarter of enterprises plan to upgrade to Vista in 2008 although companies may change plans and wait for the release of Windows 7.

Adoption of Microsoft's latest browser, Internet Explorer 7 (IE7), has also been sluggish, with just 30 percent of enterprise users on it 15 months after its launch. Slightly more than 70 percent of those surveyed were still using IE6 at the end of last year, despite the imminent arrival of a beta version of IE8. In contrast, Mozilla's Firefox 2.0 virtually replaced Firefox 1.5 the same period after its release. The proportion of users on Firefox actually doubled during 2007, with 18 percent using it at the end of the year. The proportion of users on all versions of IE fell by 10 percent. The survey quizzed more than 50,000 users from 2,300 large enterprises over the course of 2007.

Interesting

When they were doing all the "WOW" Hype for Vista in the UK
i got the impression that Vista was going to be the last
Overhaul of the OS and the future would be upgrades only.

As Microsoft declared its too much money and investment
to develop a new OS like vista from the ground up.

But hey what do i know lol

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Maybe M$ could try improving its products this time around, instead of "fixing" things that weren't broken (XP and IE6) whistle

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
veteran
veteran
I don't like (hate almost) Vista but it came preloaded on my PC and I think removing it and installing XP is a backward move. The service pack is supposed to speed things up a little which might help.

Two of the main things I hate about Vista are:
  1. Whenever I want to delete a root folder it says I don't have permission to do this and to consult the systems administrator.
  2. The "My Documents" file system is no longer in My Documents. It's split into directories under the user - Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. Absolute pain when trying to sync files with my XP laptop.
I have many more gripes but these really annoy me.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm going Linux.

I just bought a new computer for the house that cost 630 dollars. It's not a name brand, it's a stack of parts that I'll assemble in an hour. Microsoft XP pro costs $199 retail around here. That's a full third the cost of the new computer. Linux costs nothing whatsoever and does absolutely everything that XP does for me.

Simple math.

Now don't take this as me advocating Linux. Truth is I would rather have XP. Really, I would. But I'm not going to pay $199 plus tax and shipping to get it. It just is not worth that much to me anymore. I find it better, but not so better as to compel me to lay out that kind of cash for it.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

You're simply replacing an older XP box, right? ........right? wink

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
IMO, an OS does not need a minimum 1GB+ ram... to operate... It's insane!

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I quoted your post and got this from our resident GEEK smile

Originally Posted by one of my members
Lol no chance. 2010 is the very earliest they will release it.

Late2010/early 2011 is the Microsoft estimate, and that was a matter of months ago when the codename changed from Vienna.

They have to get 7 right, its already 3 years behind schedule, so if they even dare to rush it, bang goes Microsoft's share of the home computer market.

Microsoft and Bill Gates know full well this is likely to be their final complete revision of the worlds favourite operating system; take up of Vista is slow, with many IT professionals still opting for Windows XP and 2003 over Windows Vista and 2008. If they fook it up, the world will not forget it, and it will be goodbye to Microsoft.

Where did you get this report... it seems rather odd, why is Bill Gates apparently calling it the "successor to Vista" - its actually the successor to Windows XP.

The annoying thing is he's normally right frown

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
Whenever I want to delete a root folder it says I don't have permission to do this and to consult the systems administrator.

Can be Turned off wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Veteran
Veteran
David Dreezer welcome to our side. I have had Linux on my laptop for a few now and works great.

Now as for the first post in this thread. Change Vista to Windows ME and change Windows 7 to Windows XP and the dates and well, you get the picture. History always repeats it self. Perhaps they shouldn't have used ME as Vista's base, LOL.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Mark S
Originally Posted by ScriptKeeper
Whenever I want to delete a root folder it says I don't have permission to do this and to consult the systems administrator.

Can be Turned off wink

No I think he is talking about the Hard Links which are not really folders but links to folders. If removed it will mess up Vista completely. You can turn off enough stuff to actually remove the folders, but you should not do that. You WILL regret it as you end up probably rebuilding the box.

Well after having invested probably over $10K of my own money over the years in software I'm not going to switch over to Linux - There is a lot more at stake than the cost of the OS to me. Don't get me wrong - Linux is a great OS as well.

As for the comments about the resources, come on , unless you're using Red Hat 5.0 in command line you're NOT running Linux on a P3 w/256MB system and happy with it. The latest greatest GUI versions of Linux are HOGS for system power as well. I don't know too many people that only use Linux as a server - in that case yeah you can have way low requirements and not install all the candy - but for most users they want all the full GUI graphics, drag/drop etc.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Unless you're running it headless as a server it still needs a GUI and that still needs a lot of resources. I noticed to my utter dismay the amount of disc space used by a linux install is exponentially more than I remember.

I still don't think any of them are super terrific. Every one of these Operating Systems has good and bad. That includes the Mac I type this on.

I don't love or hate any of them. They're tools that I use to accomplish a task. Some are better at some tasks than others. I try to be adaptive to accomplishing what I need to.

I do kind of wish I was just replacing another XP box so that I could re-use the license but alas I'm adding a computer to the mix.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hmmm... just a thought. Maybe buy an old piece of junk off of eBay dirt cheap and grab the license that way ??

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Vista was in response to the security hole that was XP - everyone complained about how open the system was in default mode and how easy it was to hack it. The slowness in uptake of vista is due to the fixes it made to security. It's a PAIN to work in, at least until you turn all/most of those security measures off.

All current OS's with a decent GUI are resource hogs - unless you are running WFWG 3.11 you can't complain about the system resources - with ram and hard drive space so cheap just buy more wink

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
my laptop is maxed at 1gb ram... the nil minimum for vista basic... XP I can run on a 128mb ram machine and still have it run... Too large of a jump wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29