Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
According to Wikipedia, the creators of vBulletin were willing to sell the rights to the product in 1999, but Infopop refused.

I was wondering, do you think this was a big mistake? Today, vBulletin is the most used forum software, unfortunately. Had Infopop purchased vBulletin, we would still have the prestige that we once had. Infopop had refused to rewrite UBB.classic in PHP. In 2001, Infopop bought out WWWThreads, and renamed the product UBB.threads. Prior to Infopop's purchase, there was both a PHP and a Perl version of WWWThreads, but since Infopop already had a forum solution written in Perl, the Perl version of WWWThreads was discontinued. For several years, UBB.classic and UBB.threads co-existed, but soon Infopop (now Groupee) realized that the products were internal competition. Despite UBB.threads being the more robust of the two forum software, sales of UBB.classic continued to cannibalize UBB.threads sales. With the majority of competing forum software now written in PHP and using a MySQL database, it made sense to discontinue UBB.classic rather than UBB.threads.

I am pretty sure that if Infopop had bought out vBulletin, the UBB name would still carry the prestige that it used to.

old hand
old hand
I for one, have never seen hindsight fail.

http://clubadventist.com/forums

No longer following the carrot
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
So much of that paragraph is factually incorrect.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Stan
I for one, have never seen hindsight fail.

LOL!

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
Originally Posted by David Dreezer

Yes, I understand that UBB.threads 7.x originally began as a project to replace both UBB.classic and UBB.threads, however, it ended up becoming the UBB.threads 7.x series.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Since it's on Wikipedia you can go over and edit the page David grin

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I still find it funny that they admit that they based vb off of UBB.C; so you'd think that'd be enough to see that they're just little money grubbing... :AHEM:'s wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"but since Infopop already had a forum solution written in Perl, the Perl version of WWWThreads was discontinued."

This is wrong wrong wrong.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Nav is THE person in the world who knows that... mebbe you can let us in on the reald deal so we can update the wiki? I posted something about it in the admin forum at ubbdev a while back - some wiki "facts" are a bit hazy wink

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
We discontinued the perl version because it was far less frequently downloaded, more difficult to maintain and install, and because it was far too much work for Rick to develop and maintain two codebases for the same product. Maintaining duplicate features for both the php and perl version took far too much of his time and stalled new development.

It had nothing to do with competing or not competing with .classic in any way. At the time they were separate and distinct products where decisions made to one did not necessarily have an effect on the other. We dropped the perl version to make life easier for Rick at the time.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"For several years, UBB.classic and UBB.threads co-existed, but soon Infopop (now Groupee) realized that the products were internal competition."

We realized both were old and outdated and needed to be redone, from scratch. Rather than have two developers working on two new products that would have been similar, we opted to put both Rick and Charles to work on one product which would combining the talents of both developers. We never did get to capitalize on having the two of them together as Charles ended up leaving before the realization of a new product, thus Rick is the sole developer of what became a new UBB.threads.

It wasn't competition that forced a rewrite and the end of .classic, it was the age of the two products and the desire to combine the skills of the two developers.

Last edited by David Dreezer; 02/25/2008 9:53 PM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And I believe I've read somewhere, but for an update, where do you fit in to this picture here David? What is / was your role?

Thanks

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
thus Rick is the sole developer of what became a new UBB.threads.

But Charles is still listed as codeveloper if you look at the sourcecode.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Even though there really is nothing left of Charles' work in UBB.threads 7, I left his name in at the point of the initial release due to the history of everything. At some point, that will be removed.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My role?

I started out doing support for UBB before it was UBB.classic. At one point I was the developer on a few releases just after Michael, and before Charles. I think it was 5.46 and all the 5.47 releases. They were such minor releases that I don't often count them. I then went to Project Manager for UBB.classic and UBB.threads. Now I do Eve customer management and my only rolde with threads is uploading zip files and picking on Rick.

Both are important, you know!

Rick has left Charles in the code for the same reason that a lot of other people were left in after they no longer had any involvement. It's just a nice thing to do.

Did I pretty much cover it all and get it right, Rick?

Last edited by David Dreezer; 02/26/2008 4:02 PM.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
and picking on Rick.
I do that to you and Rick... And still do it to CC on AIM wink... and sometimes Rosemary and company over at Groupee when I get bored lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
old hand
old hand
Wow, anyone see the Groupee homepage lately?
http://www.groupee.com/

Is Threads still part of Groupee, or is it now something separate?

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Some serious beer drinking gone into that gut!
Nice tunes tho' wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, theres been like 0 mention of threads (or classic, or even eve) at Groupee's site...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Because Groupee is it's own entity, as is threads. That's why threads has ubbcentral.com. Eve also has it's own website as well.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why do sites still insist on using Flash and not have an alternative page. crazy

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
soon as i visit a flash site, i'm immediately looking to click off and find another one..

flash ain't my cuppa tea

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I say if you're going to have a "high resource" page, you should have a "low resource" one as well wink...

Veteran
Veteran
Dave, Thats why if you call on the phone no one knows nothin and that's about it?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Sort of. Rick hasn't ever worked out of the office here but he used to come up and visit a lot. Now that he's doing support himself rather than us doing it, most of the people in the office haven't kept up with threads and rally don't know what's going on with it. You know how it goes, out of sight out of mind.

Last edited by David Dreezer; 06/30/2008 3:53 PM.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Kinda curious who to report piracy matters to now that InfoGroupeePark isn't "in the know" about threads anymore...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Kinda curious who to report piracy matters to now that InfoGroupeePark isn't "in the know" about threads anymore...

Well, Gizmo, I think you have to wait until September 19th to report a pirate. But I could be wrong on this, arr.

-Tim
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My guess would be Rick if he chooses to pursue it

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29