Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Naz
N Offline
Hi - can any one explain to me the difference between these products and where I can get more info on UBB.x & OpenTopic.

Also can someone elaborate what the following means:

The UBB.x™ and OpenTopic™ applications use XML to organize information within the database. The end-result is that the data can be readily used in other formats.

- thanks, Naz

P.S: also the pricing info on UBB.x & OpenTopic

Last edited by Nas; 07/08/2008 8:39 PM.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
Um, OpenTopic has been discontinued for several years now. UBB.x is now part of the Eve Community platform, which is now only limited to enterprise purchases.

UBB.threads is a downloadable forum solutition written in PHP. It is the most reliable forum software package out there. The price is definately worth it over other paid forum packages such as vBulletin or Invision Power Board.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wow. Well done, Pink.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
stranger
stranger
I still have UBB classic. I have 6.7.1, I think it got up to .3 as the last upgrade. I'm not sure why I didn't do the last available upgrade. I know each time they had a default of 8 graemlins per post and I wanted 15, but it was never a CP feature so I got tired of looking for the file to change it manually each time there was an upgrade. Also at some point in the upgrade process UBB classic became really server intensive in terms of resources and some host providers banned it for that reason. I had to end up going to a high volume server.

Anyway, I've used UBB classic since 1999, so I've definitely been a loyal customer. I'd guess my question is how resource heavy is threads compared to classic? I'm interested in upgrading to threads, but I'd like to know that first.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I had been running classic since god knows how long and moved over to threads when 7 came out and I couldn't be happier; the resource usage dwindled to near nothingness as compared to classic...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I too have been using since '99 (I think.) I really didn't want to move from Classic but I was forced into it due to the poor performance I was getting.

COULDN'T BE HAPPIER laugh

Make the move - it's a good move!

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
We made the move in 2003 since classic couldn't handle the load.

We are growing and growing, and threads is still handling the load perfectly smile

Last edited by blaaskaak; 07/19/2008 7:05 PM.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i've worked on threads sites with over 1million users.. no probs

also sites with over 2.5 millon posts.. some probs only in search times, but there are ways to speed that up too smile

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Biggest differences in terms of underlying foundation are that .classic uses perl only in CGI binary mode, not built into the server like mod_perl would be. Threads, on the other hand, uses PHP which most often is built into the server. It can be run as a CGI binary mode, but usually is not. That difference is huge. If .classic was built to run mod_perl it would have been easier on the server, but not at all portable.

Next, because .classic also was built to be incredibly portable, this it was built on flat text files. It had to load many files as data, more in later versions as it got more features. Some of those text files got quite large and could get corrupted if the server was overwhelmed with too much I/O. Part of what made the later versions of .classic feel slow and heavy was all the work that was put into it to prevent data corruption.

Threads is built on a MySQL relational database which is faster and easier on the server as you scale. It's less likely to corrupt as well. It still can have it's corruption or index problems, but is less likely to have them. MySQL can also be tricky to tune as your site gets larger, but it is able to be tuned pretty easily, where a flat file system really can't without some major voodoo and with less positive effect.

Last edited by David Dreezer; 07/21/2008 2:55 PM.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
So what does the VP of the parent company do in his off time? Help perspective new customers! Nice! I knew this was a great company.

-Tim
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Threads and classic are still in my heart. It's where we came from and I think threads is still both a great product and a great value. I had a lot of fun in this community for a lot of years and still do enjoy it. I don't have the time to put into the product or the community that I used to, obviously, nor do I have the depth of knowledge on threads that I used to, but from time to time I still like to visit and say a word here and there. Giving back always feels good, too.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29