Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#219662 11/26/2008 6:36 PM
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Just wanted to get some advice from a couple of gurus before I go off half cocked and get irate with my host provider...
Cannot get to my board receive the following error.
Script:
Line#:
SQL Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
Please verify that your MySQL server is running
SQL Error #: 2002
Query: Unable to connect to the database!

Just got this board working last month thanks to Rick with an upgrade/new install of 7.3?

Anyways I am by no means an expert but looks to me like this is on the server end??? Just wanted to check and see before I get the email from webhost provider tech support that proclaims it is a third party software problem..

http://www.challengeacademy.org/forum/ubbthreads.php

Thanks in advance to any advice given..

JT

JT
Are you able to connect to the tables using what your host control panel has. Such as MyPHPAdmin?
If so ftp to the site. Then goto config.inc.php in the includes folder and double check your database settings. It should be the first couple of lines in the file.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
I found config.php file what should I be looking for ????

JT
Depending on the version the top few lines should have the path and MYsql database settings:
Make sure they are correct
DATABASE_SERVER' => 'path to Mysql server',
'DATABASE_USER' => 'user Id',
'DATABASE_PASSWORD' => 'database password',
'DATABASE_NAME' => 'database name',
'TABLE_PREFIX' => 'usually ubbt_ if you used default',

Blue Man Group
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Ok I found the file and it is totally blank..looks like it was last modified this am around the same time I was initially checking the board... If I copy what the config.php file has in it is that the same???

JT

JT
Well there is a lot more to the file than just the first few lines. Something must have happened to it. If you have a current backup I would restore it. If not then you need to double check at least a few more lines. Then you can go into your control panel and check the rest of it.
A few lines down you will find
'FULL_URL' => 'Full URL to Main Directory',
'BASE_URL' => 'Relative URL to Main Directory',
'FULL_PATH' => 'Absolute PATH to Main Directory',

Blue Man Group
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Thanks Ruben,

The file is totally empty 0 kb...I will try the back up...
JT

JT
Okay that file is usually fairly static unless you have changed settings since the last backup. So even if the file is months old as long as the paths are correct the control panel will open and you will need to update what has changed since then, The real important stuff is the paths and mysql table stuff I posted. Which can be corrected via notepad.
Once you do that you may still need to save things in the control panel such as the paths and URLs section to update the table

Last edited by Ruben Rocha; 11/26/2008 8:22 PM.

Blue Man Group
Looks like you are up again. I would for sure make a full backup after you are sure all is okay again.

Blue Man Group
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Ruben you're a life saver

I updated the file using a back up and then went into cp and saved all the primary settings..

Now for the big question.. how does this type of thing happen???Is it a bug? something I may have set wrong???
I did not make any changes to any of the files i first noticed this morning that my page did not have "who's on line or any pictures that it usally has on it but the forms were there..I assumed slow down load times then as I purused the forms poof the sql problem...any ideas???

Thanks again for the assistance..
JT

JT
Well it can be alot of things. First did your host change things such as migrate you to a new server. Upgrade software or patches that impact your permissions. Or the worst somebody hacked into your site. Your host should be able to provide you with any activiy on your account, Besides that I would for sure make a complete backup of Tables and files to be safe.
You could check your admin log files in the ubb control panel to see if someone other than yourself was in there changing settings. I don't know if that would really help but it may show someone else was in there other than you.

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
It is running quite slow. The bottom of the page had shown:

Generated in 35.099 seconds in which 0.048 seconds were spent on a total of 7 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

This is telling me that the server is taking 35 seconds to generate the page.

I hate to say this but you are down again. Time to call your host.

Now you are back up. Still say call your host they may have some server issues right now.

Last edited by Ruben Rocha; 11/26/2008 9:22 PM.

Blue Man Group
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Yeah...I just restored it again..I was going thru the cp and clicked on update general settings and there was the same problem..looks like the same file corrupted...so I am not sure if it something I have set in the cp or if it is on the server end..guess I will let set for a little bit and stay out of the cp to see what it does..

JT
The config.ini.php file is just a file on the server when you save settings it writes to the file and updates the Sql tables. If it gets erased again I would start talking to the host, It should not be conpletly empty. If it was corrupt you may see a setting with wrong values but not a completly empty file.

Blue Man Group
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Thanks...I think I will not only talk to my host but maybe talk to a new host..been having these type of problems for a while and my host sings the same song.."Not Us" Anyone have a suggestion on a reliable host????

thanks again

JT

JT
Thats a age old question but you can see I have recently asked myself Here

Blue Man Group
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Ok now I was able to recreate the same problem..I clicked on "who's on line" and it hung up..then clicked on one of the forums and now who.s online island is not showing up and neither is the picture island forums seem to be ok...

Anyone have any ideas???

http://www.challengeacademy.org/forum/ubbthreads.php

Thanks
JT

JT
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by GriffJ
Thanks...I think I will not only talk to my host but maybe talk to a new host..been having these type of problems for a while and my host sings the same song.."Not Us" Anyone have a suggestion on a reliable host????

thanks again

JT

I have been through this a few times over the years. I finally gave up and bought everything I need to host my self for anything I can ever imagine on doing now and in the future.

Send me a PM.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
This line really stands out:

Generated in 35.099 seconds in which 0.048 seconds were spent on a total of 7 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

MySQL is generating everything very quick, but the actual processing of the page itself is taking a long time. It could be that they have you pointed at a MySQL database on a different server, and the actual server your site is running on just has a very high load on it.

Needless to say, those numbers aren't something we see too often. Usually if there's a slowdown it's going to be on the MySQL side.

G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
Looks to be running ok today..Yesterday I did loose the photo gallery island and the whos on line island a couple times..as soon as this happend I went in to cp and clicked on update settings under island settings and they came back??? Not sure whats going on..Have not had this problem today yet..

JT
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Something is making your files drop to 0 byte. Thing is that unless you are actually making changes in the control panel while a server error occurs the config file should never be opened for writing, only as read only. That will not 0 a file. Your island cache files are getting zeroed out too. Sounds terribly as though your server or site is out of disc space or quota.

That's what you need to find out, why are files not able to be written to.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
And, um.... this isn't a bug. Moderator please move.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 1,057 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29