Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Just upgraded from 6.4.4 to 7.4.1 and users who use the threaded mode are really struggling (and complaining, of course) that it doesn't work properly. I've been testing threaded mode on my site as well as here and they are correct, something is amiss. I don't know if I can articulate this problem clearly but here goes:

(1) In threaded mode
(2) In threads which have newfolder icon turned on
(3) click into that thread and (a) sometimes the replies have a corresponding newfolder icon and sometimes they do not (b) if they do have the newfolder icon the system turns off all newfolder icons if you read the bottom or near the bottom reply first. Thus after reading the first new reply there is no way to determine which others are new. This is troublesome if there are many new replies.
(4) Clicking into a thread which does not have a newfolder icon (instead nonewfolder.gif) and often all the replies have a newfolder.gif and the thread operates correctly as you read replies one by one their respective newfolder flag is turned off. If you leave that thread and return later, the system will correctly remember which are read and which are not.
(5) so the problem seems to be inconsistent and incorrect handling of new replies in threads which have recent new replies, in which the system correctly assigns the newfolder.gif icon and the number of new replies at the thread index level but does not correctly assign nor manage the newfolder.gif icon to the corresponding replies that are within that thread.

Probably confusing, but that's a first cut, if anyone is interested in helping to investigate this, I am most grateful and ready to answer any questions that you may have.

thanks,

packlite

P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Unable to edit - so a new reply is in order.

For example, this morning I noticed a new thread in my forum entitled "Happy New Year" which had 15 replies. I had never visited that thread.

In threaded mode, I opened up the forum and noted that the thread was correctly highlighted in a different color (which I manipulated by the way in the stylesheet editor - which I cannot do any longer at the reply level in the new version) and there was the appropriate "new" folder icon.

However, when I clicked into the thread, all 15 replies were marked as read. Not one had the "new" folder icon. But when I clicked into each reply, there was the "new" folder icon. It just does not show up in the threaded reply listing.

On the other hand, there was another older thread that I had not read, which was not marked at new and when I clicked into it, all the replies listed in the threaded reply list had the "new" folder icon.

I get the same kind of results here in this forum.

Finally, some of the time, in threaded mode, in a new thread with a new folder icon, when clicking into that thread, all the replies are correctly identified as new, with the new folder icon, but if you click on the last reply, first - all the new icons disappear and all replies marked as read.

I don't know what is more frustrating - trying to articulate the problem or experiencing it smile

Last edited by packlite; 01/05/2009 6:01 PM.
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I think I'm following and will see if I can't get that fixed up.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I think I have this tracked down, possibly to some code that wasn't meant to be left in.

Line 1317 of scripts/showflat.inc.php has a block of code that looks like this:

Code
    // If mode is showthreaded, then we need to show the tree
    $topic_tree = array();
    if ($mode == "showthreaded") {
        $topic_id = $topic_info['TOPIC_ID'];
        $unread = 0;
        if (isset($_SESSION['topicread'][$topic_id])) {
            $unread = $_SESSION['topicread'][$topic_id];
        }

include("libs/topic_tree.inc.php");
    } // end if

Changing that, to this, seems to have cleared it up on my test forum:

Code
    // If mode is showthreaded, then we need to show the tree
    $topic_tree = array();
    if ($mode == "showthreaded") {
        $topic_id = $topic_info['TOPIC_ID'];
//      $unread = 0;
//      if (isset($_SESSION['topicread'][$topic_id])) {
//          $unread = $_SESSION['topicread'][$topic_id];
//      }

include("libs/topic_tree.inc.php");
    } // end if

P
journeyman
journeyman
P Offline
Yes, excellent !

It appears to have corrected the problem.

Many thanks for spending the time to sort thru my attempts to explain the symptoms.

packlite

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (rootman), 641 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29