Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
My only comments about this whole thing is that I've noted that for some reason people think Rick is a big corporation. Granted, he's kind of tall, but he's one guy. Rick. He works on this at home. His big corporation consists of his wife and kids.

Yes, Groupee does the billing, provides the web space, and ticketing system, but Rick is support, website, author. The decisions are his and his alone, not some corporate faceless board room. This is one guy doing his best to serve his customer's needs.

And as for Rick being a man of his word... he said he would go the way the poll goes. Honest poll results. Not some skewed poll results that have been bent by one ballot stuffer who was trying to get his/her own way.

Hey, he has had the guts enough to come out with this, give him some credit.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
M
M Offline
And my comment is that stuff happens. When it does, we deal with it and move on. No one benefits belaboring the point.

The bright side is that some lessons were learned here. First is do not trust humans to be honest. Or "Trust but verify". wink Sad, but true.

Second is to never leave a business decision to the customers.

Obvious? In hindsight, you bet.

Rick,

I urge you to stop wasting time composing responses to this thread and get to work! grin

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I agree with David. He could do like many support sites that get tired of the crying and just close or delete any post they don't like. Go over to McAfee, hp, Cisco, Seagate... any post they deem out of line with their image or business model and they'll edit, or delete the post, and or lock/remove the entire thread.

Originally Posted by AllenAyres
? I get post notifications from here already, not sure what you mean.

If i use the "Notify" a post button under a Post.
I get an e-mail.

If i subscribe to watched forums,
watched Topics
or Watched members i can view that same information
by e-mail if i choose to be notified that way.
Or i can click on "watched blar blar" and view the results.

If i choose to be sent a e-mail when someone sends me a private
message i get an e-mail but i also get a flashing icon when
i visit the forums.

If a Member uses the "Notify" a post Button there,
the only way i'm notified is by an e-mail.

Why is it that most important Notify of all is only accessible
via your e-mail account?

It should IMO also be accessible via your own forums.
So if i log in to my forums i should see some kind of notice about a "Notified Post" that needs to be addressed.

If you cant access the forums what's the point of reading
about it in a e-mail? You cant get there.

Originally Posted by David Dreezer
For some reason people think Rick is a big corporation. Granted, he's kind of tall, but he's one guy. Rick. He works on this at home. His big corporation consists of his wife and kids.
With the Greatest Respect Dave i cant remember reading that when
i purchased my "License"

Dont get me wrong i also have a lot of Respect for Rick too,
He has done alot of work, and hey respect for leaving the Grilling
in place too, but you cant expect everyone to rollover and be
happy about a change in direction when i voted honestly and
i thought (Foolishly) that everyone else did too.

We can wine we can moan, but at the end of the day Rick
can sit in his Developers Chair and decided which way to go,
and there's nothing any of us can do about it, at least he
let us get it off our chest and i'm sure rick has also learned
from his community too.

Removing : editing posts leave that to the corps
IMO its wrong to make it look pleasing to the visitor,
we all love a good scrap. But i think you will find were all still here wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Originally Posted by David Dreezer
My only comments about this whole thing is that I've noted that for some reason people think Rick is a big corporation. Granted, he's kind of tall, but he's one guy. Rick. He works on this at home. His big corporation consists of his wife and kids.

Yes, Groupee does the billing, provides the web space, and ticketing system, but Rick is support, website, author. The decisions are his and his alone, not some corporate faceless board room. This is one guy doing his best to serve his customer's needs.

And as for Rick being a man of his word... he said he would go the way the poll goes. Honest poll results. Not some skewed poll results that have been bent by one ballot stuffer who was trying to get his/her own way.

Hey, he has had the guts enough to come out with this, give him some credit.

Understand exactly where you are coming from - however can I please ask - what would happen to Threads if a) something happened to Rick or b) Rick decided to move onto a new challenge in his life.

I appreciate that this has been Rick's baby since I purchased the product as wwwthreads, but my concern is what would happen if he called it a day for whatever reason.

(I hope this does not happen any time soon!)

Probably UBB Gizmo :omg:

Interesting - and a valid question i say.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
M
M Offline
Yep. One of the propeller-head beta testers who have actually already contributed to the base code would receive an nice little offer from Dave.

Watch your back there Rick. grin

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Mike L
One of the propeller-head <<SNIP>> contributed to the base code

Sd - wotcha doing mate? wink

One of the propeller-head beta testers
I must be really getting old because I have no clue what this means. (Good/Bad/Indifferent)

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
One of us... lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by driv
Originally Posted by Mike L
One of the propeller-head <<SNIP>> contributed to the base code

Sd - wotcha doing mate? wink
/me hides propeller blush

M
M Offline
Ruben,

I AM old and that term has likely been around long than I. Could be that it is in wider use in some sectors or parts of the world than others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller_head

The term propeller head (sometimes abbreviated PropHead) also refers to a person (usually an engineer of some type) who is employed to do a technically demanding job. It appears to derive from a "head in the clouds" type stereotyping of more technically aware people (compare with geek, nerd, absent-minded professor, etc.) or possibly from the propeller beanie. The term may be meant or taken as slightly pejorative but is usually meant with some respect.

I use the term to say someone is smart and far more proficient in a given field than I.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by Ian
Understand exactly where you are coming from - however can I please ask - what would happen to Threads if a) something happened to Rick or b) Rick decided to move onto a new challenge in his life.

I appreciate that this has been Rick's baby since I purchased the product as wwwthreads, but my concern is what would happen if he called it a day for whatever reason.

(I hope this does not happen any time soon!)

As for me moving on to a different challenge. Unless I win the mega-millions jackpot and can be fat and lazy, that's not going to happen. 10 years I've been doing this, maybe a bit longer now, and I still very much enjoy it. Still learning new things and there's always a challenge to overcome.

If something were to happen to me. I've got two people I work with now contributing code and are very compitent. Between them and Groupee, the future of UBB.threads would be quite safe.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Thaks - hope you didn't mind me asking smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Whereas, I'm just a support nazi lol..

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Late to the party as ever - been way too busy over the last couple of months to have paid you guys a visit.

I've read through this all with great interest. As a developer myself (and one who continually does odd support work for clients new and old) i have a lot of sympathy for you guys. "Rock" and a "Hard place" spring to mind. But if Rick's the main man on this baby then i whole-heartedly support his direction on this.

I did originally vote for Bloggs but in my heart i always thought that UI would win out - the front-end usability of a system is always somethng worth getting right.
That's why i did not let on to my users that bloggs would be in the offing smile Glad i did that now.

Anyway, i'll call by again soon - for now i've got the unpleasant task of moving all my worldly internet goods (including my ubb's) across to a new host/isp service - a task i'm not relishing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (rootman), 641 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29