Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Okay, so I just had my old 6.4.1 board upgraded to a dazzling new, feature-rich 7.4.1 version. There are lots of good things about this new version, aside from the very aggravating non-functional read/unread post glitch in threaded mode. [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

Now, I see in the Admin CP there is the option to enable Subscriptions. So, I'm thinking this is the same feature that was existent for ages in previous versions.... [Linked Image from the-highway.com].

1. What happened to the old subscriptions (digest) feature?
2. What is this revised subscription feature? how does it work? why was it designed? etc.
3. I WANT THE OLD SUBSCRIPTIONS BACK.... for Pete's sake!! It's more than stupid not well thought out; to innocently enable the feature to watch a forum and then find 50 individual e-mails sitting in your inbox from your discussion board. The ability to get ONE e-mail with all the new posts/replies from a forum by simply checking a box was fabulously simple and efficient. And as an Admin, it was equally as simple to implement this by creating a conjob to have those subscriptions sent out automatically each day.

How about it Rick old buddy..... "new" isn't always better. [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

THANKS! (I'm looking forward to seeing this back in 7.5) [Linked Image from the-highway.com]

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Subscriptions are used for sites where they pay money for services rendered. If you search here for paypal you will find a lot of posts on the subject.
What you call subscriptions is now watched topics,watched forums and watched users, in the mystuff menu.
Also the digest feature does not exist.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The old digest feature will make a return. For that we need to use actual cron jobs however (something we've avoided so far).

Originally Posted by Rick
The old digest feature will make a return. For that we need to use actual cron jobs however (something we've avoided so far).
Rick before you go down that road. I think you will find most windows host providers do not have cron available for their customers. At least I have not seen one.

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Yet another reason to avoid Windows host providers. smile

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by Rick

you could have a cron job OR just do it like birthdays and hope that someone visits the site around midnite (site time) and kick starts it...

so i'd have the fallback for peeps who can do the cron.. no?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
What I plan to do is have basically a built in cron scheduler tool. You can configure when everything runs in the control panel, and then you'd also configure if it's going to be called by a server cron job, or by user activity.

If you have the ability to run server cron jobs, then you'd stick a cronjob in to run every few minutes, and it would call the script to check if any jobs need to be run within UBB.

If you can't run server cron jobs, then when a user visits the forum it would call the script to check if any jobs need to be run.

Server cron would obviously be better, but this would still allow for things to be scheduled and ran when necessary.

Originally Posted by DLWebmaestro
Yet another reason to avoid Windows host providers. smile
The platform requirements are mysql and php not linux only.
So I think excluding windows servers inhibits exposure to all potential clients current and future.
Besides I was hosted on windows for 8 years with no problems.

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Ouch... someone's touchy about Windows jokes...

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
hehe.. i make a living on Windows machines, but wouldn't touch em with a 10 foot pole (unless paid) with regards ubbthreads..

threads and linux are so much happier together than on doze smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Web scripting/development and linux is far simpler in my humble opinion...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Originally Posted by DLWebmaestro
Ouch... someone's touchy about Windows jokes...
grin grin
No I'm not touchy about it.
I just changed to a linux host myself.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 598 guests, and 134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29