Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
veteran
veteran
Microsoft will drop free support for handful of aging products next week, including consumer versions of Windows XP and Office 2003.

On April 14, the Redmond giant ends "mainstream" support for Office 2003 in addition to Windows XP Home and Professional. This means the software will no longer include no-charge incident support, warranty claims, design changes, and bug fixes not related to security. After next week, consumer XP and Office 2003 will be put into an "extended support" phase, which means customers will need to pay for Microsoft assistance on a per-incident, per hour, or alternative basis.

Security updates will still be provided for free for Office 2003 and XP Home and Professional until August 4, 2014. After that, the software is retired and users are on their own. Customers can still get non-security critical fixes if they've enrolled in Microsoft's Extended Hotfix Support program. However, they must purchase the Hotfix agreement within 90 days of mainstream support ending - so it's rather late for that now.

On April 14, Microsoft is also "retiring" Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, meaning it will no longer provide support for the release. In other words, time to upgrade to SP2. Mainstream support for Exchange Server 2003 Standard and Enterprise edition will also end April 14. Extended support dies April 8, 2014.

More products to have support axed include:

Office 2000: Mainstream support ended in 2004. Extended support ends July 14, 2009.

Windows 2000 Server: Mainstream support ended in 2005. Extended support ends July 13, 2010.

Office 2007: Mainstream support ends April 10, 2012. Extended support ends April 11, 2017.

Windows Vista Home Basic, Premium, and Ultimate: Mainstream support ends April 10, 2012. Extended Support doesn't yet have a deadline.

Windows Vista Business: Mainstream support ends April 2012. Extended support ends April 11, 2017.

See complete list in the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Index

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's sad, I completely HATE office 2007; Office 2003 was tolerable... Office XP was nice...

Now you get to Windows, where Microsoft even hates Vista, that you don't really have a supported option lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I loved office 2000 and server 2000.
And XP pro was the best ever so far.
But I guess Billy needs to make another few billion.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It amuses me though that they're going for all this eye candy, to waste more and more memory on your system... when there are free alternatives to their "ever growing in price" products (OpenOffice anyone?)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
You know what is funny is Bill gates will.
Supposedly he is only leaving a couple hundred million to his heirs. The rest of his billions will be going to charity,
So if you think about it, every upgrade you purchase goes to charity. crazy

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Sure it will.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, and who's name is on the charities wink... lol

Yea I think it was just a ploy by Mr. Gates to justify his billions.
But who are we to say.
I don't have 50 billion in my bank account.

Blue Man Group
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The richest people in the world have gotten poorer, just like the rest of us. This year the world's billionaires have an average net worth of $3 billion, down 23% in 12 months. The world now has 793 billionaires, down from 1,125 a year ago.

After slipping in recent years, the U.S. is regaining its dominance as a repository of wealth. Americans account for 44% of the money and 45% of the list's slots, up seven and three percentage points from last year, respectively. Bill Gates lost $18 billion but regained his title as the world's richest man. Warren Buffett, last year's No. 1, saw his fortune decline $25 billion as shares of Berkshire Hathaway fell nearly 50% in 12 months. Mexican telecom titan Carlos Slim HelĂș maintains his spot in the top three but lost $25 billion.
The World's Billionaires[/color]

Yes [color=green]OpenOffice 3.0 is a great free alternative but is miles behind MS Office in overall power and features. It is also quite slow compared to MS Office. But if you don't have the money to shell out or don't have the higher requirements of the advanced features then it is an excellent alternative.

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
It amuses me though that they're going for all this eye candy, to waste more and more memory on your system... when there are free alternatives to their "ever growing in price" products (OpenOffice anyone?)

Love openoffice. It can export to just about any other software!!! I dont use them that much to miss MS office, but for what I do it is great.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
you'd think Warren Buffett would have had the foresight to sell at 20% lol

As for Open Office; I don't really use office enough to warrant needing "advanced features" tongue

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 606 guests, and 134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29