Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#226068 04/28/2009 1:50 PM
journeyman
journeyman
What is your max file size set to?

Do you find larger file size limits slow down your servers?

Cara-
Community Producer at:
Canadian Parents.com Message Boards
Well mine is set to 2MB which is the default setting in php.ini
I could edit it and make it larger but I don't have much need for the gallery and 2MB is more than ample for my users.
Your users may need larger files depending on the content of the gallery.
You could also set Max file sizes per group and promote users to each higher group based on post count automatically.
As far as slowing down the server I guess it would really depend on how much activity your site has and if your server can handle the bandwidth.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks Ruben!

We have ours also set to 2MB, but I foresee that it may be too small with all of these uber-mega-pixel sized cameras out there! smile

Our users are not the most computer saavy out there and I'm not sure most of them will know how to resize. I see a lot of that in my future- resizing that is! wink

Cara-
Community Producer at:
Canadian Parents.com Message Boards
Understood I must have the same users.
I have uploaded attachments for one or two users but it was a special case where the file was around 9MB and was a temporary situation.
Like I said though you could create say a user2 group and set the file size larger. If it becomes one or two users that need bigger files then you could add them to user2 group in the control panel. Or use the auto promote feature based on post count in the control panel.

Blue Man Group
Since I am not a sql expert. But we have many here. It would be nice to have a query to save in the control panel that will show us file sizes uploaded by users. At least it would show if some are uploading close to limits to have a gauge if you need to tweak settings for groups or members.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Mine is set to 2mb... I do have 20gb free space on the server, but I don't want to be hosting users 2mb-5mb files that will eventually get linked to offsite (well, attempted to, since i block offsite linking) and will eventually get stale, and i'll end up with huge, old, unused, photos everywhere tongue...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Agree Giz but in my case all posts are pertinent to our site so I welcome that they upload the file so it does not become a lost URL with a broken link.
And I inhibit hotlinking through htaccess also.

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by ladybug_mom
Thanks Ruben!

We have ours also set to 2MB, but I foresee that it may be too small with all of these uber-mega-pixel sized cameras out there! smile

Our users are not the most computer saavy out there and I'm not sure most of them will know how to resize. I see a lot of that in my future- resizing that is! wink

Well, If your users cant use google and or read....... Then perhaps they really shouldn't be on a message board, LOL.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Googled this, maybe they can figure it out right off the get go. If not, oh well, then they need to graduate the 2nd grade perhaps.

Okay Lockerman I see your point and yes I agree to a point.
BUT
Most of my users are elderly and just getting online is a chore for them. so when they have issues on resizing a post I have to deal with it. Also most all of them do not have any control on the Applications they can use due to they are subject to the IT department with the company they work for,

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
I have the same problem in my site. If you take a peek in my beagle site you will see photo's everywhere in there.

BUT

If they post a photo to large it is deleted immediately. Their account is noted. And they are reminded of the size restriction.

If they continue to ignore the size rule they get a 30 break from posting in the site. If they continue to ignore the posting size restriction they get a 90 day vacation. And after that if they continue to ignore the rules they get a permanent vacation.

At first I did not get your post but then I think I get it.
This is not a setting in the control panel.
You are manually monitering the posts? Correct?
Then you ban them for the 30-90 days?

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Manually monitoring every post on the system. That is upward of 300+ a day.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29