Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
veteran
veteran
Microsoft is advising people against rushing to download the Windows 7 Release Candidate, which is now available.

The company has also reminded potential testers they won't be getting a gratis operating system, pointing out that while the Windows 7 RC 1 won't expire until next June, it will expire.

No-doubt stung by the past rush to download advance copies of Windows 7, which succeeded in choking and crashing Microsoft's download servers and web pages, the RC 1 notes said: "You don't need to rush to get the RC. The RC will be available at least through July 2009 and we're not limiting the number of product keys, so you have plenty of time."

But there's a reminder that RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Microsoft said: "Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You'll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use."

And don't go upgrading straight from the Windows 7 beta. Microsoft has advised a completely clean install.

The RC has been pushed out just as Microsoft released its recommended - and historically generous - minimum hardware requirements for the latest version of Windows.

To run the Windows 7 RC 1 then your machine, according to Microsoft, will require a 1 GHz processor (32- or 64-bit), 1GB of RAM for 32-bit operation or 2GB of RAM on 64-bit, 16GB of available disk space on a 32-bit installation or 20GB of available disk space when using 64-bit, and DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

Microsoft has historically tended to understate the hardware needed to run the latest versions of Windows. The advice on Windows 95 was for a 386DX processor and 4Mb memory, but it was recommended you actually had a 486 and 8MB. You could get away with a 233MHz processor and 64MB memory on Windows 2000, but you really needed at least 300MHz and 128MB or higher. The fudging of the hardware numbers on Windows Vista landed the company in court.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Darn it, I went out and rushed... smile

No problems with the download speed though, took about 30 minutes for the 64 bit version - will be downloading the 32 bit shortly. There appears to be a growing number of Torrent sources too.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yep, downloaded both 64 Bit and 32 Bit and installed the 64 Bit on Quadcore Xeon w/8GB RAM and it is humming right along.

Still not my cup of tea (way too much candy) but I'm sure the Vista lovers group will be quite happy with the changes.

Pretty speedy compared to Vista, LOL - calculator is much improved. VMware Workstatiion 6.5.2 works quite well on the box too.

I suppose in another year or so that more and more software will slowly move away from XP and target their coding to Windows 7 so I might as well force myself to start using it and getting used to it. Not like going from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 - that I actually enjoyed (did miss my Norton Desktop though for Windows 3.1)

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, Nightcrawler), 549 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29