Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Whats up with the new promo?
Is Livecloud competing with UBBThreads?
I realize the price and package is vastly different, but why not be a upgrade package to threads.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Livecloud just seems like a renamed Eve (which had another name before that); it's a hosted forum solution that groupee/infopop/etc has had forever...

I chuckled that I got spammed by it several times today lol...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I agree read the shout box

Blue Man Group
What I disagree on is promoting it as a separate product instead of as a enhancement.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
shout box is going to scroll off, this is better suited for actual responses wink

And I'd be peeved if they marketed it as an enhancement, it is a separate product...

It's a hosted solution of a different forum software that you get 0 physical access to... and there's no Rick... I already lost Charles, if I loose Rick, I'm out...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
And i don't really classify $240+/mo as a good investment for eve; i'm sorry, you can get a cheap dedi for that and a threads license the next month...

Here is what I don't get.
There are two plans
Plan one:
$249/month

One-time set-up fee of $349

200,000 page views

Unlimited bandwidth

Unlimited storage

Plan Two:
$499/month

One-time set-up fee of $349

500,000 page views

Unlimited bandwidth

Unlimited storage

Does not unlimited bandwidth usually include page views for most all hosting plans?
So you pay $250.00 more per month for 300,000 more page views per month.
So for plan one it is 0.001245 cents per view
So for plan two it is 0.000998 cents per view

Wow they give you a discount for more pageviews!!! Facetious smirk

Blue Man Group
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Gizzy's right. It's an entirely different product than UBB.threads, not an enhancement. People that just LOVE threads will not love LiveCloud; for all the reasons that they do love threads.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Like being able to mod your files tongue

Dave, I just don't get why Groupee will market say EVE and now LiveCloud to existing Ubbthreads customers.
But there is no mention of UBBthreads. At least as a preliminary software package.
If the company that owns UBBThreads does not support it then why should I purchase it.
Thats my take on it.

BTW, the reason I stay with this product is pretty much like all the others, Good product support.

It is still disappointing when I get messages like this that don't even mention the core products that Groupee started with.

Blue Man Group
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Ruben
Dave, I just don't get why Groupee will market say EVE and now LiveCloud to existing Ubbthreads customers.

Is it hard to understand why a company will market to existing customers? It's the easiest marketing there is.

But there is no mention of UBBthreads. At least as a preliminary software package.

Because the intention was to market LiveCloud, not .threads. It is a different product, not an evolutionary product of .threads. You undersell .threads when you think of it that way.

If the company that owns UBBThreads does not support it then why should I purchase it.

You're here. Right now. Posting on the support forums. And your next sentence tells me that you love threads because of the support. Which is it?

BTW, the reason I stay with this product is pretty much like all the others, Good product support.

It is still disappointing when I get messages like this that don't even mention the core products that Groupee started with.

It's disappointing to me that Rick knocks himself out to send his newsletters and all of his release notices and they seem to be ignored by you. We send the only non threads email we've sent in a few years, to the *exact same* list and you're griping about poor unsupported threads. I'm afraid I don't get that. And I feel hurt for Rick who works so hard on this and all of his mailings.

All I am saying Dave is goto Groupee.com and try to find this product.
You can't.
You will read about the ultimate bulletin board (classic) and the other products but no mention of UBBthreads at all.
Where are the credits for UBBthreads?

No I am not knocking Rick,
You are adding statements I never made.

I am complaining about Groupee.
Rick as well as Charles have given us all great support.
In fact I have always had superior support here compared to other software products.

I love this product but it is very disappointing when the company that owns the product does not even make mention of it anymore.

Blue Man Group
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ruben, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. If I let this continue I'm going to come across as arguing with you, and that's not my intention at all.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I feel hurt for Rick for the reason that Groupee -- who is in essence his publisher -- sent a mass email to Threads users (past and present) that, if successful, could be taking customers away from Rick's baby. It seems as if (to an outsider, at least) Groupee sees Eve Redux as a more profitable product and does not mind cannibalizing customers of Threads if it means they get more moolah. Sure, Groupee has every right to sell and push whatever products they want, but they kind of crossed an unethical line when they sent that email to Threads users.

I know if I were in Rick's shoes, I'd be a little peeved at Groupee; but then again, I am on the outside-looking-in and may be ignorant to a plethora of variables.

And I don't mean this to be a personal attack on David or anyone at Groupee... so please don't feel a need to become defensive. (I do help pay the bills, afterall wink )

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
No personal attacks taken and none intended. I saw that the back and forth with Ruben was looking that way, that's why I backed out. I never take nor intend any discourse to be personal.

As far as cannibalizing threads customers, we don't see them as even in competition. If you love .threads you're not going to like LiveCloud. For all the reasons you love threads. But if you had a .threads and moved on or are going to move on, for whatever reason, then you're the person that email was intended to reach. Our mailing list doesn't have a way to differentiate that. That's why we reached everyone. What we see is an opportunity to reach out to past customers or customers that are thinking about making a move to a hosted solution, and get their eye.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
They're not in competition... 2 very different animals aimed at very different people.

I don't see that there's a big market for a hosted solution at that price point, but Ted doesn't need many takers for it to be profitable since it's basically a re-named eve.

I do think it's a bit odd to not mention ubb.threads at all on this page: http://livecloud.com/about.php - they're all over ubb.classic, talk about infopop, groupee, social strata but not a single mention of their other product. If they aren't competing but really are part of the same team then I don't understand not one mention. Quite possibly it further explains the true business relationship between ubb.threads/Rick and whatever Ted is calling his company this week smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, I do think Threads, as an official product and the winner of threads vs classic should be mentioned tongue...

And I too don't like the rebranding constantly...

A quick play on their demo does not convince me that it offers anything extra that cannot already be provided by ubb or with the massive support and following that ubb has...

As it happens i am in the market for another BB product for a client of mine, and my first choice is still going to be buying another license for ubbthreads. Its a no-brainer for the price, even if you add in hosting costs.

One hopes that Rick will still be involved in ubbthreads development and will not get hauled off into "cloud land" smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, Rick has a day job, and this is where his free time goes since threads is his baby; I doubt that they'd send him to cloud land tongue...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Rick has and will always be .threads. It's his and should always be. It's where his heart is. smile

addict
addict
I don't even look at Livecloud as a serious threat to .threads for the simple reason of pricing. To me, anyway, Livecloud will be for those corporations who require an enterprise class forum system, but don't want to commit someone from their IT department, if they even have one, to maintaining it, patching it, upgrading it, etc. This way, they can have it and never worry about it. I don't think you can really compare it to the original Eve either, as it didn't cost that much as at one time I had an Eve board. It's more like their other product that was a completely hosted solution run completely by Infopop at the time, but the name of it escapes me at the moment. OpenTopic maybe? I don't know it's been awhile.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yes, OpenTopic.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
While I can see some of the confusion, it's not a big issue really. When I send out an email, all of the links point back to ubbcentral. All of our links here are ubbcentral. When people go looking for threads, type it into a search, they end up here not at Groupee.

The only time threads customers end up on a groupee site is during support/purchases, which isn't uncommon for that to be handled on a different site.

The email that was sent out wasn't just to .threads customers, it was to all groupee customers.

Don't worry, .threads isn't going anywhere. Though I have been out a bit due to kid stuff, we're still making active progress on 8.0 (the beta group has already seen a few things). Once we get a bit further in the process we'll start giving out some info on things to come.

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
And good things they are. smile

addict
addict
I had all but forgotten about Groupee and the old Eve until that email hit my in box...LOL. I am looking forward to v8 to see what you guys have in store for us.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Harold
Yeh, I'm really enjoying all of the ____ already present; and i hope the goal of ________ doesn't get overlooked tongue...

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Yeh, I'm really enjoying all of the ____ already present; and i hope the goal of ________ doesn't get overlooked tongue...

Tease smile

I am having a problem with.
all of the ____ already present
I can't seem to read what the feature is!!!!
Do I post that in the bugs forum? laugh

Blue Man Group
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Yes. I would.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yes. I would.
tongue

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Yes. I would.
tongue

smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, Nightcrawler), 549 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29