Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
S Offline
Hi,

I just went to add another Forum to our list of Forums, and after filling in the needed fields under- Forum Settings/Add New Forum, and hitting "Add New Forum," It shows up on the Forum List for those viewing the site to see, but it doesn't show up in my Forum Settings" list, so I can go in and add icons, moderators, etc.

I haven't had this problem adding Forums before.

Ideas?

See "Jeddah Mali teachings" at the top of the list.
Learning Strategies Forums
UBB.threads 7.2.2

Thank you.

What web browser are you using? It could be a browser cache issue??

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
S
S Offline
I'll check it out.

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070609 Firefox/3.0.12

BTW, Happy Birthday!

Blue Man Group
S
S Offline
Thank you.

Nope...cleared the cache and restarted - still doesn't show in Control Panel.

If the new forum does not even appear in:
Control Panel » Forum Settings
Then it is time to call the big gun in. Meaning open a trouble ticket for Rick to look at.

Blue Man Group
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Happy Birthday Shawn.

If I remember correctly you had moved servers, so my guess is there's some permission issues going on. What I'd do is FTP into the server and delete everything inside the cache directory except for the index.html file and then try rebuilding the cache. You probably should check the permissions on that directory as well and make sure that it's writable.

S
S Offline
Thanks Ruben -I pulled it up in Safari with the same results.

Thanks Rick.

I'll forward your suggestions to our web guy Rick. We just renewed our membership today and I think he's going to look at doing the upgrade next week. The Systems folks are being real sticklers about not letting anyone access the new server, so Brad may be tackling it and using some consultant ticket hours to make it happen.

Best,

Shawn

S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
I seem to have the same problem on a 7.5.4.2 system and this thread doesn't seem to have any resolution to the problem.

I am dead in the water until i can add a new forum. Could someone please post a reply with a workaround, or bug fix, or whatever?

here are my symptoms:

I became a forum admin on an old pre-existing forum with 40 or 50 existing forums in 5 pre-existing categories. I wanted to add several new forums in a new category.

First, the problem seems to affect both the listing of forums and the listing of categories. Just as a new forum doesn't show up in the forum list pull-downs, a new category does not show up either,

In the forum "control panel -> forums -> forum settings" I see the list of existing forums that had been set up some time ago by others. They go up to number 84 and those 84 seem to operate properly. I click the "Add New Forum" at the bottom and start to fill in. My first clue that something was wrong is that I had created a new category and the new category didn't show up with the other pre-existing ones in the "parent" field. Oh Well, I picked some inappropriate existing category/sub-forum as the parent and kept going.

The newly created forum does not show up in the control panels list of all forums. Thus it cannot be edited or permissions changed. It cannot be used to house sub-forums because it isn't in the pull-down menu of parent forums when creating a new forum.

I did find that by copying the URL for editing one of the pre-existing forums; say number 84, and then changing the board-84 to a board=90 I can get to the edit window for the forum.

I used the SQL window to look at the database with "Select * from ubb_forums;" and the new forum appears to be in the table of forums with correct-looking values.

The new forum shows up in the user's list of forums. It can be clicked and entered. One odd thing that I noted is that the "path" through the forum hierarchy at the top of the forum has a glitch.
Normally the path looks like (with some fake shortened names for space here...)
"TOP >> NEXT >> DEEPER >> ThisForum"
In the case of the disappearing forum this path is messed up. It looks like
"TOP >> NEXT >> DEEPER >> >> ThisForum
And while TOP, NEXT, etc are clicakble links to that forum level, "ThisForum" has lost its clickability.
Looking at the generated HTML for the page, I see
Code
<a href="http://www.EXAMPLEFORUMS.org/forum">TOP</a>
 &raquo;
<a href="/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm">NEXT</a>
 &raquo;
<a href="/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm&amp;c=6">DEEPER</a>
 &raquo;
<a href="/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&amp;Board=90&amp;page=1"></a>
 &raquo;
ThisForum
Note how the name has moved outside the link tags in the HTML and the extra RAQUO quote is added.
The board number is 90. I have played with a few forums. Board 84 is the last correctly operating original forums.

Pressing on trying to screw things up, I went into the SQL command window of the control panel's database tools and did an alter of the record for board 90 poking in the new category number as the parent category. The new category and the new forum contained within now show up in the user forum listing, but when clicked the path is also misisng the new category name and has "TOP >> NEXT >> >> >> ThisForum" as the path with both the category name missing and the forum name still moved outside the RAQUOs. Also, although the new category now shows up in the user's forum list, it is still ommitted from the control panel's list of possibilities when selecting the parent for a new forum.

As there was little follow-up to this thread, I assume that Shawn got his problem fixed.
Can anyone pass on the workarounds?

Thanks loads
Skip

Since you have a a very old version, It could have been some bug that was resolved with a newer version.

First item to check in the UBB control panel is:
Control Panel » Permission Checks
they all should show okay.

Second item to check and run is:
Control Panel » Clear Cache

Third item is:
in your browser clear cache and delete the cookies set by the board.
This will force you to login again.

And since you are a new admin and don't know of any prior changes to the settings.
You may opt for:
Control Panel » Content Rebuilder
This can take an extremely long time depending on the size of the database.
This is a last resort.

FYI,
Don't ever muck with the database unless you are very familiar with the table structure.

Blue Man Group
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben
Since you have a a very old version, It could have been some bug that was resolved with a newer version.

First item to check in the UBB control panel is:
Control Panel » Permission Checks
they all should show okay.

Second item to check and run is:
Control Panel » Clear Cache

Third item is:
in your browser clear cache and delete the cookies set by the board.
This will force you to login again.

And since you are a new admin and don't know of any prior changes to the settings.
You may opt for:
Control Panel » Content Rebuilder
This can take an extremely long time depending on the size of the database.
This is a last resort.

FYI,
Don't ever muck with the database unless you are very familiar with the table structure.

Ruben,

Thanks for the quick response!
I understand about mucking with the database. I'll be careful in the future.

I have been givin forum admin permissions, but I don't own the uderlying site or ubb-threads license. I will pass this on to the forum owner.

Permissions: Ho boy. 24 of 27 fail. 3 of 27 are OK. There is the first thing to pass on to the forum owner.

Cache cleared OK. but cache permissions above were one of the failures.

Browser cache and cookies cleared. I am doing tests using (primary) firefox on Fedora Linux and (second) IE on Windows 7. Both browsers cleared and restarted with no change in behavior.

I think that I will save the content rebuilder step until I pass the permissions failure info on to the system owner.

Thanks again for the help! I'll keep the forum posted on this thread as I do things.

Skip

file permissions are priority +1.
Second would be the clear cache, sometimes it will not work correctly and what is needed is to ftp to the cache folder not cache builders folder, Manually delete all files except index.html.
and then run the clear cache in the ubb control panel.
That will cause the files needed in the cache to be rebuilt.

Once that is done what may be needed is to edit the bad category and forum and re-save them even if you don't change anything.
Hopefully that will be the end of the issue at hand.

Blue Man Group
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben
file permissions are priority +1.
Second would be the clear cache, sometimes it will not work correctly and what is needed is to ftp to the cache folder not cache builders folder, Manually delete all files except index.html.
and then run the clear cache in the ubb control panel.
That will cause the files needed in the cache to be rebuilt.

Once that is done what may be needed is to edit the bad category and forum and re-save them even if you don't change anything.
Hopefully that will be the end of the issue at hand.

The site owner set permissions, cleared cache and did the rebuild from the control panel.
Everything, including the test case category and forum showed up as normal. I am able to add, edit, and everything seems fine so far.

Thanks for the help! You guys are great.
Skip

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 932 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29