Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#228050 08/01/2009 5:19 AM
humm

Ive been giving the idea of a "Twitter" in a users profile page instead of a "Blog" and i think that a "Twitter" would actually solve many possible problems.

Twitter
its a bit boaring but you update your space with your thoughts and activities.

Blog
Your hoping members will interacte with what ever you post about.

Already with the very simple blog rick pushed out for 7.5 none of my members are using it?
Well you cant even thank anyone for there comments or prase.

If a member leaves abusive comments or advertising with in your proile space you can only delete it not edit or block a person from adding more and more comments into your profile.

So in a Nut shell its wide open for abuse.

BUT

If you make it a twitter in your profile.
Where its YOU who updates your profile page with what your upto etc then your the only one who would be guilty of adding offensive comments.

Personally i do think a "Twitter" with in a forum has more legs than a "Blog" beacuse the Twitter is about you and that's where you find the info in your profile page.

Where as in reality i think that if a memeber wants to make a "Blog" topic they may as well use say a General forum to inform the forum.

There are so many holes and reasons for a blog not to work in a forum enviroment IMO but i think a "Twitter" might just become a usefull function.

Only idea's before rick gets 8.0 finished up.

(p.s. i was also one of the many that shouted long and hard for a BLOG but i think that opertunity has been missed).

Your Thoughts ?

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Mark S #228065 08/01/2009 5:12 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I do like twitter, but I see where admins will want to use blogs; so if we chose to go the route of the tweets, we'd likely have to put it along side of blogs (or have it an option).

Another issue would be the users who hate twitter (150 character postings) and use alternatives (Jaiku, Itenti.ca, CitySpeek, etc).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #228091 08/02/2009 5:12 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
There's a blog with 7.5?
I completely missed that! blush

driv #228092 08/02/2009 5:19 PM
I think Mark is referring to the comments allowed in a users profile now. Somewhat of a blog I guess???

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #228093 08/02/2009 5:20 PM
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Oh right...
I was going though my CP looking for a 'blog' setting!

driv #228094 08/02/2009 5:23 PM
Blog in reverse. LOL

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
driv #228106 08/03/2009 1:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I do like twitter, but I see where admins will want to use blogs; so if we chose to go the route of the tweets, we'd likely have to put it along side of blogs (or have it an option).

Another issue would be the users who hate twitter (150 character postings) and use alternatives (Jaiku, Itenti.ca, CitySpeek, etc).

i didnt realise there was a 150 restriction to it.
Well maybe lift that restriction?

Ive never used it "Twitter" but if you think about it there isnt really anywhere on the forum you as a member can just post stuff about you? Well not unless you start a new topic but then you would just get called strange lol.

All kinds of unfinished issues with the blog would arise, okay they would be ironed out eventually, but i'm just thinking the shorter road and more usefull to a community would be the twitter than the blog.

Yes every forum is diffrent and its needs, but i do think its worth a serious look at, for example i could log in to Gizmo's profile and catch up on his court case, and maybe not having to look at his picture everytime i read it lol.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by driv
There's a blog with 7.5?
I completely missed that! blush

Didnt mean to panic you but it was a stepping stone to a blog lol.

The social net working for blogs is now well established now with all the big boys, i wonder if some memebers who are asking for a blog could really just looking for somewhere a member can leave there own comments aka "Twitter" would do this.

ahh well to the powers be "Rick" wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Mark S #228114 08/03/2009 4:28 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can't lift the restriction on twitter, it's built into the specifications; it's designed for "short status updates"; in which, according to them, is 150 characters.

I've been pushing for a "Biography" field in the profile page since UBB.Threads v7 was in the "idea" phase (it was in Classic, I tried to make sure every item that was useful in classic was in threads) but it wasn't deemed popular enough to add in.

And you know you love my picture tongue...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #228116 08/03/2009 6:53 PM
I'm meaning within our forums v8 to have the option to Twitter on your own profile. Not to visit Twitter if you get me, just to clear that one up lol.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Mark S #228123 08/04/2009 7:44 AM
N
Naz Offline
N Offline
thats a neat idea, more pertinent to your forum audience allowing users to create an environment of social networking among themselves. Come to think of it this is really catchy way of an expanded more taylored shout box ....cool --- thumbs up smile

Last edited by Naz; 08/04/2009 7:45 AM.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
Naz #229654 10/03/2009 5:58 PM
D
D Offline
I signed up for Twitter several months ago and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I gave it a bit more attention this past week and wow! I can see the value.

Twitter is instant messaging, broadcasting, and community all rolled into one. I love the ability to keyword search tweets and how it integrates with other programs and the iphone. With the smartphone boom just beginning applications that are only of use on a computer will suffer and that may include our forums.

I think Twitter needs to used somehow in a visible way and not hidden away in profiles. I have not given it much thought as to what that would be.

I also beleive that somehow our forum communities need to be made more smart phone friendly so members have little trouble reading and responding to posts using their phones. Perhaps all that needs is a separate CSS which comes into play when the forum is accessed by phone - I dont know. That is for those smarter than I to figure out smile

UBB user since 1998
doug #233971 01/20/2010 3:07 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
Im new to this Fourm but not so new to web development and IT thingamagigs.

My thoughts however on Twitter are that it seems to be mostly for celeberties who want to remain valid and connected with their audiences. As for the rest of us....nobody cares what we think. atleast not in 150 characters.

The smartphone compatiablity idea is excellent. As the smartphone takes more of the market share of internet use there are a lot of developers scrambling to become not only compliant, but relevant. Im sure the powers that be are working on this. However keep in mind that the smartphone is not the end all be all of things. I'm sure we will see technology down the road that could change the way we communicate again. The web and how its used seems to be ever changing, but even more so as of the past few years. Very exciting times in deed.

Back to the tweet, Im not sure that it's exactly whats needed to make this Forum cutting edge. To me Twitter seems like a fad.

credling #234007 01/21/2010 6:57 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
I use twitter and facebook to blast out quick announcements with links back to my forum to draw people in. I don't have many followers on twitter yet as most of my membership "just doesn't get it" but my facebook group is growing by about 100 users a month, just passed 800, and it seems to be helping bring more traffic to my site, and the users seem to like the wya I am putting it to use.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #234008 01/21/2010 7:00 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
side note on twitter, even id you don't tweet anything, follow your local news, deal sites, etc.
I am a bargain hunter, and follow techbargains, techdealdigger, amazondeals, livehotdeals, woot. I find awesome prices on stuff all the time.
I also follow a few TV shows, tech news sites, etc.. Ill add them, and if they don't post anything useful, I drop them, or just ignore them, yet stay following them just to show my support (castle and chuck)

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #234012 01/21/2010 9:58 AM
D
D Offline
I am using Twitter to tweet out a couple of thread titles each day. (with links back to the threads) I figure that anyone searching Twitter for the subjects of the threads will find my tweets and visit my forum. Only a few dozen followers so far but I am thinking of this exercise as a way of generating new members - not so much for the benefit of existing members.

UBB user since 1998
doug #234019 01/21/2010 5:38 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
BTW, twitter is great for small updates, even if you "tweet" a part of the update and link to the full version of the page it will do wonders for keeping people up to date

Naz #234454 02/06/2010 9:51 AM
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
hmmm, I do have personal blog but don't have Twitter. But I agree, blogging is more time consuming and not really describe what you are doing. Twitter is more simple.

Tigis #234464 02/06/2010 10:20 AM
D
D Offline
I consider forums to be social media just like blogs and Twitter so to have them all work together is really the way things are going.

If you write a blog post in your wordpress blog there are plugins that allow for that post to be Tweeted to followers. It would be nice if new forum threads could be easily tweeted as well.

Also, avatars follow people around from site to site (using gravatar.com) - perhaps the same should apply for forums.

Forums will need to get on board with the rest of the social web.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, Nightcrawler), 411 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29