Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#230394 10/29/2009 10:52 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S Offline
By now everyone know how folks at VB goofed things up when they changed their licensing terms and pricing. As you can see from VB forum there are tonnes of user who are now visiting other forum script site mostly IPB to find a suitable and reasonable alternative.

Interestingly IPB has started sale for people who are switching from "other" forum software to IPB reducing their script price to $125 till I think Nov 2 or something.

I think UBB should also not let this opportunity go and start some promotions for people who want to move from "other" forum scripts to UBB

Veteran
Veteran
What's IPB?

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline

S
journeyman
journeyman
S Offline
Here is the IPB offer
http://community.invisionpower.com/...undup-community-suite-and-switch-offers/

Why cant UBB come up with something like this?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The good thing is that anyone that previously had a license at one point, classic or threads, and had switched to VB at some point, can come back for just the renewal fee which is $99.

We do have a bunch of things planned, but that will coincide with the first of the year, so might be a bit late for those wanting to switch now. Really just starting to gear up for that now.

Also, I believe ours won't be so confusing, between suites and packages and all of that. No matter what features we have (blogs, downloads, etc), we're always going to include them in the standard price.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S Offline
would you have that $99 offer for people who want to switch, and I will switch in a minute smile

It is part of the standard pricing.
Net new license
UBB.threads™ Standard License
1 year free access to upgrades
No advanced support included * $199

Renew
Member Area Renewal
1 year access to upgrades
$99
Allows you access to upgrade from classic up.
Of course this option requires you to have had a license.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Sagar
would you have that $99 offer for people who want to switch, and I will switch in a minute smile
If you own a current license you can renew it (at any time) for $99; this applies for anyone who owns any level of UBB license

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
addict
addict
Even at the $99 price to renew it's a huge drop from what vB wants to renew or upgrade. Plus, everyone must remember, none of the old hacks that made vB usable will work with the new software and would either have to be completely re-written or pay the larger price for the suite. The new scheme of theirs really limits what an admin can do with the v4.x forum only package. With UBB and several other less expensive forum software you usually get everything included in the price. I'll be renewing my license here when it comes due.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
addict
addict
Just an FYI, I just completed converting my vB forum over to UBB and Ricks importer worked seamlessly! It ran fast and without a single hitch. Thanks Rick!

Tombstone, AZ
S
journeyman
journeyman
S Offline
Originally Posted by GregK
Just an FYI, I just completed converting my vB forum over to UBB and Ricks importer worked seamlessly! It ran fast and without a single hitch. Thanks Rick!

Would you mind linking your site?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hey Greg, I'm really excited to hear that the importer worked well for you and that you're coming back to the UBB from vB; really exciting news to hear momentum from other products to the UBB...

Ideally I'd love to see a FusionBB to UBB importer; seems that a lot of our users went that route..

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
I'm still able and willing to test one of those. Maybe when V8 comes out.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Hey Greg, I'm really excited to hear that the importer worked well for you and that you're coming back to the UBB from vB; really exciting news to hear momentum from other products to the UBB...

Ideally I'd love to see a FusionBB to UBB importer; seems that a lot of our users went that route..

After comparing vB to UBB it was really a no brainer, as UBB is much easier to install and configure. Plus, you don't have to go find a bunch of addons, some commercial, to just do the most basic functions that are already built into UBB. When v8 comes out I think you will see even more switching to UBB.

Tombstone, AZ
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I can only think of one real "paid addon" to the ubb, and that's my sitemap script (link in sig).

I think most paid addons to other products are either stock features in the ubb or available freely as a modification over at ubbdev.

addict
addict
Gizmo, I think you're correct. That's what is so frustrating about some of those other packages, the need to shell out more money just to get what UBB and one other package offer as standard features.

Tombstone, AZ
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think the real complaint that some users have is that the ubb just looked too boxy when the first couple of versions came out; while it's remained the same for the most part, new skins where developed (of which we're using several here that users can choose to use)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You know, it's funny, vB decides to increase their cost due to the economy... When I lowered the cost of all of my Premium Themes to $25 for the same reason...

addict
addict
It's also due to the fact Jelsoft is no more. vB is now owned by Internet Brands and since that sale prices have been raised and almost all the original developers of vB have left the company. Their customer service has apparently gone the way of the developers too, since I read constant complaints about how customers have been treated by the new company.

Tombstone, AZ
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's really a shame when it happens, but I've heard it happens a lot...

Take Chase Bank for example, they just took over WaMu here on the west coast... we can't get a damned thing done without being on hold for 5 hours then having our calls dropped and having to repeat the hold cycle for 4 days just to hear "our systems are undergoing maintenance"

Veteran
Veteran
Hey, ain't that the way of corporate America? If you don't like it then stop dealing with very large corporations or the ones that you don't like the way you do. They are only as strong as you make them.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29