Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
We're getting ready to move our UBB Threads forum from 1 provider to another (Linux --> Linux). But they have disabled telnet access. Is there a way to use a scraping program and force all of the forums/topics/replies into a clean install of the program? Any other tricks or work-arounds?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Use phpMyAdmin. It can export your old database into a single file, and load it into the new database. Version 2.5.2-pl1 is probably the best to use.

-----
UBB.threads beta tester / threadsdev.com moderator
Software consulting services including UBB.threads problem resolution / installs / upgrades / customization.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Err OK I installed it...kind of a MySQL newbie here...can you provide any further guidance? What will actually "scrape" the forums & threads?

<a href="http://www.beezoo.com/" target="_blank">
beezoo.com</a>

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
By "scrape" I assume you mean backup?

This applies to phpMyAdmin 2.5.3, the latest stable version.

After selecting the database in phpMyAdmin ("Database xxx running on yyy" should be displayed at the top of the right pane):

Select the Export tab at the top to get to the export page.

In the Export section, click Select All and check the SQL radio button.

In the SQL options section, check the Structure, Add 'drop table', Enclose table and field names with backquotes and Data checkboxes.

Check Save as file, and zipped or gzipped (whichever you prefer).

Then click the Go button.

To restore the database from the dump file, select the SQL tab at the top, then use the Browse button to load the dumped database.

[This message was edited by Dave_L on September 17, 2003 at 08:53 PM.]

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
No not backup. I mean scrape as in 1 UBB Threads boards exists on 1 Linux box in 1 place and another new install exists elsewhere on another Linux box.

beezoo.com</a>

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The procedure I described above is a way of copying a UBB.threads database from one server to another, using phpMyAdmin.

If that's not what you want to do, I guess I'm missing your point.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Right but that would mean that BOTH boxes would need phpMyAdmin installed. Only the newly configured/installed box does. So how would I get the forums/threads out of the "old" box?

beezoo.com</a>

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Oh. My intention was that you install phpMyAdmin on your old box, and use it to dump the database.

You said they disabled telnet access, but I assumed you still had FTP access, or an equivalent way to upload/download files, which is normally all that's needed to install phpMyAdmin. Are you saying that you no longer have access to upload and download files on your old server?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="">quote:</font><hr /><font size="" face="">Originally posted by Dave_L:
Are you saying that you no longer have access to upload and download files on your old server?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="" face="">That's correct; and I had just told them that I'd be able to "save" the threads and be able to transfer them...any other suggestions or workarounds?

beezoo.com</a>

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I see that you posted this at threadsdev.com, so I'll reply there.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29