Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Old Hand
Old Hand
not sure what happened, I have had people registering without issue, including today, but tonight, it just keeps cycling them back to the board rules, you check the box, click ok, and you go right back to it

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Old Hand
Old Hand
opened a ticket to expidite this.

"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Old Hand
Old Hand
I have tried IE and FF, tried FF in safe mode to rule out any addons, have removed all my custom header/footer info, have re-uploaded the newuser.php file, I am at a loss.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
and cleared cache ?

Old Hand
Old Hand
yes.
I'm stuck in a loop, verifies birthday, you say ok, then it bumps you to the board euls, you check the box, click proceed, it goes back to the birthday page, endless loop.

tried disabling age check, and it just sits on teh board rules page

Old Hand
Old Hand
at this point, I have to give up for the night, I have to be up earlier than normal for work tomorrow...

Resolved in your ticket. Repeating here in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future.

Normally, this is always related to a sessions directory problem. If it can't write to it, then the board rules never get accepted and you go into a loop.

In this particular case, the sessions directory was not only unwritable, but appeared to be full as well as the directory could not be entered, nor deleted.

Old Hand
Old Hand
Thank you.
I need to learn what cron jobs are all about and how to set one up... need one that automatically empties that folder every night according to my host.

With version 8 and the scheduling tool that's been created we should be able to create a job to do this cleanup as well.

Old Hand
Old Hand
cool, that will be a big help smile

Addict
Addict
I was under the impression that the sessions directory would empty itself. Is that something we need to be doing? I haven't looked at it in months.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
On most servers it will, but there are some where php doesn't clean up after itself like it should. You can take a look at your sessions directory. If there are a couple hundred or so it's probably ok. If there are thousands, it's probably not (unless you have an extremely busy forum).

Old Hand
Old Hand
since last night, I have almost 6000 files in my sessions folder already. last time that was caused by MSN bot hammering my site, I need to check my access logs now.....

Addict
Addict
Right now, I have 1217 files, all with today's date. I get about 1900 visitors a day, with 50,000 page views. Does that add up?

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Originally Posted by SteveS
Right now, I have 1217 files, all with today's date. I get about 1900 visitors a day, with 50,000 page views. Does that add up?

Yeah, if you haven't ever checked it, then it sounds like it's cleaning it out as it should be. The length of time they stay in there depends on the garbage collection settings.

The majority are always search engines, because they almost always generate a new session each time they visit. We're going to look into some way of if it's a search engine then it just won't generate a session at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 879 guests, and 150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29