Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
enthusiast
enthusiast
OK so we are moving the message board to Mindraven and on our old server we had a form inside the subscription page to update a non ubb database. You can see the form here http://www.fgmcc.com/html/howtojoin.shtml and click on the second link. When you click on the submit button for the form it updates the database, but displays what ever I put in the update.php file, then you have to click back to submit the subscription to ubb. I have been looking at using $PHP_SELF action as the action and adding the php code to the subscription description field in the control panel. Do you think this will work? I have also read that using the $PHP_SELF can be a bad idea because of script kiddies... Any other ways to do this?

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
So long as you properly sanitize the variable you should be fine:
PHP Code
$this_page = strip_tags(htmlspecialchars($_SERVER["PHP_SELF"])); 

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
enthusiast
enthusiast
So this would work? I assume it would not reload the current page?
Code
<form action="strip_tags(htmlspecialchars($_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]));" 
 method="post">
<?php
Check to see if submit button has been pressed
other php code
?>

html form stuff

</form>

Ian

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
PHP Code
form action="<?php echo htmlentities($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) ?>"
 method="post">

is what i do smile

or go total paranoid (which i don't) and do:

PHP Code
substr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], 0, (strlen($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) - @strlen($_SERVER['PATH_INFO']))); 

for the echo.. i had that del.icio.us'd somewhere laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
It has to work inside the subscription template... Right now I just added the <form> ... </form> code to it...

Ian

enthusiast
enthusiast
OK so still learning... Here is what I have in the body of the subscription... It displays the form, and some of the code instead of checking to see if the submit button has been clicked. Can I use php and html in the description filed of a subscription?

Code
<center>
<form action="<?php echo htmlentities($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) ?>" method="post">
<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit']))		//submit button pressed
  {
  echo '<p>Thank-you for submitting your member information, please choose from one of the options below to pay.</p>'

//Process the individual form controls
  }
else					//display the form
  {
  ?>

<!- HTML code for the form -->

<table border="0" width="650" height="868" cellpadding="0" align="left">
     <tr>
      <td width="100%" height="750" colspan="2" valign="top" align="left">
        <b>
        <font face="Verdana" size="3">Personal Information</font>
        </b>
        <table border="1" width="100%" height="1" cellspacing="3" bordercolor="#000000" bordercolorlight="#000000" bordercolordark="#000000">
          <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="12" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">First Name:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="12" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="F_Name" /></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="12" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Last Name:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="12" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="L_Name" /></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="12" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Middle Name:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="12" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="M_Name" /></font></td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="13" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Street Address:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="13" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="S_Address" /></font></td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="7" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">City:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="7" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="City" /></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="10" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">State/Province:</font></td>
            <td width="26%" height="10" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="State" /></font></td>
            <td width="25%" height="10" bordercolor="#000000" bgcolor="#E5E5E5"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Zip/Postal Code:</font></td>
            <td width="26%" height="10" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="Zip" /></font></td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="7" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Country:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="7" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="Country" value="United States" /></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="9" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Phone
              Number:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="9" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="Phone" /></font></td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="1" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">E-mail
              Address:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="1" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="Email" /></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="1" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Year of Monte:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="1" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana">
			<select name="Year">
			<option value="1970">1970</option>
			<option value="1971">1971</option>
			<option value="1972">1972</option>
			</select></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="1" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Engine:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="1" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="Engine" /></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="1" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Transmission:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="1" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="Transmission" /></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="1" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Exterior Color:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="1" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="Ext_Color" /></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="1" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Interior Color:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="1" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="Int_Color" /></font></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="87%" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" height="19"><font size="3" face="Arial">Vinyl Top</font></td>
            <td width="13%" height="19"><input type="radio" name="V_Top" value="1" /> Yes<br />
  <input type="radio" name="V_Top" value="0" /> No<br /></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
            <td width="23%" height="1" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000"><font face="Verdana" size="3">Vinyl Top Color:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="1" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="V_Color" /></font></td>
          </tr>
        <b><font size="3" face="Verdana">

<td width="23%" height="1" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" bordercolor="#000000" valign="top" rowspan="2"><font size="3" face="Verdana">Any
              comments?:</font></td>
            <td width="77%" height="1" colspan="3" bordercolor="#000000" valign="top"><font size="3" face="Verdana"><input type="text" name="Comments" />
			</font></td>
          </tr>
 </table>
        <font size="3" face="Verdana">
        <b>Club Roster</b></font>
        <table border="1" width="100%" bordercolor="#000000" cellspacing="3" height="1">
          <tr>
            <td width="87%" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" height="19"><font size="3" face="Arial">Would
              you like to be listed in the club roster?</font></td>
            <td width="13%" height="19"><input type="radio" name="Roster" value="1" /> Yes<br />
  <input type="radio" name="Roster" value="0" /> No<br /></td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <td width="87%" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" height="19"><font size="3" face="Arial">Would
              you like your address to be listed in the club roster?</font></td>
            <td width="13%" height="19"><input type="radio" name="Roster_Add" value="1" /> Yes<br />
  <input type="radio" name="Roster_Add" value="0" /> No<br /></td>
          </tr>
          <tr>
            <td width="87%" bgcolor="#E5E5E5" height="1"><font size="3" face="Arial">Would
              you like your phone number listed in the club roster?</font></td>
            <td width="13%" height="19"><input type="radio" name="Roster_Num" value="1" /> Yes<br />
  <input type="radio" name="Roster_Num" value="0" /> No<br /></td>
          </tr>
		  <tr>
		     <td><input type="submit" value="Submit" /></td>
		  </tr>
        </table>
		<?php
   }				//close off the ending bracket for the else statement
?>
<?php
 $F_Name=$_POST['F_Name']; 
 $L_Name=$_POST['L_Name']; 
 $M_Name=$_POST['M_Name'];
 $City=$_POST['City'];
 $State=$_POST['State'];
 $Zip=$_POST['Zip'];
 $Country=$_POST['Country'];
 $S_Address=$_POST['S_Address'];
 $Phone=$_POST['Phone'];
 $Email=$_POST['Email'];
 $Year=$_POST['Year'];
 $Engine=$_POST['Engine'];
 $Ext_Color=$_POST['Ext_Color'];
 $Int_Color=$_POST['Int_Color'];
 $V_Top=$_POST['V_Top'];
 $V_Color=$_POST['V_Color'];
 $Transmission=$_POST['Transmission'];
 $Comments=$_POST['Comments'];
 $Roster=$_POST['Roster'];
 $Roster_Add=$_POST['Roster_Add'];
 $Roster_Num=$_POST['Roster_Num'];  
 mysql_connect("xxx", "xxx", "xxx") or die(mysql_error()); 
 mysql_select_db("xxxxx") or die(mysql_error()); 
 mysql_query("INSERT INTO `xxxx` (F_Name, L_Name, M_Name, City, State, Zip, Country, S_Address, Phone, Email, Year, Engine, Transmission, Ext_Color, Int_Color, V_Top, V_Color, Comments, Roster, Roster_Add, Roster_Num) VALUES ('$F_Name','$L_Name', '$M_Name', '$City', '$State', '$Zip', '$Country', '$S_Address', '$Phone', '$Email', '$Year', '$Engine', '$Transmission', '$Ext_Color', '$Int_Color', '$V_Top', '$V_Color', '$Comments', '$Roster', '$Roster_Add', '$Roster_Num')"); 
 ?> 
		</form>
        </td>
    </tr>
  </table>
  </center>

Last edited by Sirdude; 08/20/2010 4:22 PM. Reason: put code in spoilers..

Ian

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
you'll need to do some serious sanitizing.. i'd recommend running that thru the ubb.engine, which does all that for you 1st..

enthusiast
enthusiast
Where / How?

Ian

enthusiast
enthusiast
Still working on this, it is the last thing I need to get working before I can move the rest of the site to the new host frown Any other pointers / places to look?

Ian

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Originally Posted by Iann128
OK so we are moving the message board to Mindraven and on our old server we had a form inside the subscription page to update a non ubb database. You can see the form here http://www.fgmcc.com/html/howtojoin.shtml and click on the second link. When you click on the submit button for the form it updates the database, but displays what ever I put in the update.php file, then you have to click back to submit the subscription to ubb. I have been looking at using $PHP_SELF action as the action and adding the php code to the subscription description field in the control panel. Do you think this will work? I have also read that using the $PHP_SELF can be a bad idea because of script kiddies... Any other ways to do this?
Hey, another car forum admin here! And one I'm actually a member of & visit!

Wish I could help ya, but it's over my head.

www.yenko.net
UBB.Threads 7.5.5
enthusiast
enthusiast
Small world isn't it smile What is you username over at FGMCC?

Ian

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i put your code in spoiler tags -- just so the thread doesn't blow up horizontally, Ian

2c

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 476 guests, and 111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29