Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#236810 05/11/2010 6:41 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
thoughts? opinions? personal favorite?

I have been partial to an xbox, but I hear so many horror stories about their problems..
I had never considered getting a console before, but now that I have the HD TV, I can just see playing fallout or borderlands on it...

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
I love my PS3. I have a media server hooked into my network and play my movies, music, etc through the ps3 from the server. If you get one with older software (prior to about a month ago) You can install a linux OS on it.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I saw all the hubub about that, if you install linux on it you can still use it as a normal PS3 though? all games work as intended, etc? and is there any real advantage to putting linux on a console?

I have my streaming media setup very nicely, so I am more concerned with gaming.

"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Yea, you can install linux and play games. Easier to upgrade hd if needed. Ive played Modern warfare 2, socom, assassins creed. I love it. PS3 is also coming out with which looks good

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/playstation-move/index.htm

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've had both, I got rid of the PS3...

They both have streaming from Netflix, and both have exclusive games, but the XBox's community is far more bearable...

In my opinion the XBox is really the winner and those who use the PS3 are simply fanboys of sony tongue...

You can upgrade the hdd in the PS3, but with the XBox you don't really need to as the largest they have is like 250gb and you really only use it to store media and game data (you can even save some whole games)

Media streaming is far better on the xbox, my ps3 always gave me issues with upnp media sharing.

Gaming I much prefer the xbox, netflix streaming you can have a "Group" video where you and 8 people can watch the same media and talk during it and have it at the same area, which adds far more of a social aspect to the whole thing.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
last console was an Atari 2600. Or was it a Coleco ADAM? one of them....

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've had every major console since my old atari lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Well I have the ps3 and I like it. Never even looked at a xbox.
Because the ps3 is a bluray/dvd/cd player also. Thats why I bought it because my dvd player died.
I stream from a nas to it with movies,music and pictures.
After two years I finally bought my first ps3 game last month. Modern warfare.
But anyway the older ps3's cost more because the are backwards compatible for games and they have more usb ports and they have sd slots.

For gaming I enjoy the WII much more.

Hey Giz remember the mattel intelevision?

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Along with Giz I've had almost every major console since the atari. I currently have a 360, PS3 & a Wii. If a game is available for the 360 and PS3 I almost always purchase it on the 360. I just prefer that system. The one downside is that you have to pay a yearly fee for full online access with the 360, which you don't have to for the PS3. The PS3 has bluray, but that only matters to some people. I think the Xbox Natal looks a lot more interesting to me than PS's move.

I have the 3 systems in different rooms and use them all to stream local media and netflix.

And I did own an intelevision.

What was cool with the mattel was my cable company at the time had a games channel feature for it.
You plugged a module into the game slot that had a wire to the set top box and play every game mattel had for a flat fee per month.

Blue Man Group
I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so there wasn't anything that cool to be found. I did play some of those games fairly recently on the 360. It's always interesting to play something again after a few decades.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Keep in mind that the higher ups at Microsoft have stated several times that there will likely be a bluray addon to the xbox at a future point.

Oh and I loved the games channel adapter for the Sega...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Oh, and if you have a 360, add me, I'm "Gremelin"... Just lemme know who you are on here wink lol

Don't remember the sega adapter. I bought a sega for my daughter.
Played sonic and earthworm jim to death.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Sega Channel was just awesomeness lol

Old Hand
Old Hand
well, as I have said, I am only interested in the game aspect. I have a media streamer, (2 actually), a bluray player, I have 2 netflix devices

Sounds like the exact same feature I had with the Mattel.
As I recall it was time warner then became vision cable or vice versa.

Blue Man Group
Well, Just like we have stated here.
If you are only interested in gaming then. It would be a personal decision on what gaming platform to use.
I prefer WII. But I also use the ps3 for everything else.
Others here have a preference for the xbox.

Tough call!
I guess it depends on what games press your button at the time.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I find the controller on the xbox far more comfortable, in both short and long gaming sessions. The playstation controller feels like it'll fall apart in your hands.

the xbox has removable battery packs, you can buy rechargeable battery packs and have separate batteries charged. The PS3 has a built in battery that will die and you have to charge (or have plugged into a usb port) to play using the same controller.

Both have exclusive games, and both share some of the greatest titles out there right now. Both prices are about the same for games.

Accessories are where things shine... The XBox will have Project Natal released this winter, it's a motion sensitive bar which will allow you to literally be a part of games; it'll be a revolution in gaming. The PS3 will have some gay little wand that makes you look like harry potter and won't be able to compete with XBox's Natal.

The XBox has a webcam that you can use for live camera sessions (video conferencing basically), has "party mode" which allows you and friends to have up to a 16 person conversation outside of a game (which the ps3 doesn't).

Okay I give you are a xbox fan.
For gaming it is Wii for me.
Also as far as charging I use induction pads for the ps3 and the WII. Just lay them on the pad and they charge.

Last edited by Ruben; 05/12/2010 5:36 PM.

Blue Man Group
Accessories are where things shine... The XBox will have Project Natal released this winter, it's a motion sensitive bar which will allow you to literally be a part of games; it'll be a revolution in gaming. The PS3 will have some gay little wand that makes you look like harry potter and won't be able to compete with XBox's Natal.
Shoulda coulda woulda, Is nice but all the manufactures promise but it seems never deliver. So back to my statement.
Buy what you are impressed with. At the time.

Blue Man Group
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've played the Wii, but for the price I'd go with the XBox 360 Arcade vs a Wii... Though if you mod the Wii it can shine a bit more tongue...

Old Hand
Old Hand
I'm liking the xbox due to initial purchase price, but I don't like the fact you have to pay a yearly fee for the online thing.

do they both use HDMI connections for HD TVs?

They both use HDMI, at least on the higher end versions. The older 360s did not. The yearly fee is $50 for the 360.

I agree with Giz in that I just prefer the size of the controller. I am a fairly tall guy and have big hands and the PS3 controller feels too small in my hands and will eventually cause strain. But that is a personal issue.

There are a lot of games that are on both systems, but there are some exclusives. Here is a list of the games on both systems that shows what is exclusive to the system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360_games

I have friends that love one and despise the other. However I don't know anyone that owns one and loves the one they didn't purchase. They are both good systems and you'll have a great time with whichever system you decide to go with.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I know plenty of people around here with the xbox, but only one person with a ps3. will have to try to see if I can borrow 1 for a bit to try it out

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
But none of you had an ADAM. tongue

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The yearly fee is worth it... More "premium" features are community based (such as group chats, party chats, netflix group movies, etc)

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
PS3 for me.. smile

As far as borrowing one goes. The local blockbuster in my area rents games controllers and the system. For xbox,ps3 and WII.
Not sure in your area.

Blue Man Group
Old Hand
Old Hand
soo.. I went in to buy the new xbox slim 250, walked out with a PS3 160. why? no one has an xbox in stock, and dollar for dollar, the ps3 just seemed a better deal in the long run.

first 3 games I bought... Borderlands, Fallout 3 GOTY, and F.E.A.R. 2.
already pre-ordered Fallout New Vegas :-)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Too bad, if you had an xbox you could play with me...

BTW, xbox is so better...
Netflix - Party mode; chat with friends as you all enjoy a movie at the same time.
Online - More of a "premium" service, sure you have to pay, but it's more reliable and has better features.
Last.FM - Radio on your xbox, streamed online.
ESPN Channel - Coming this winter, stream espn with friends online.

And yes, I have owned a PS3 tongue

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah but you have to buy games more than once with Xbox because it eats the CD's frown At least the 2 we have had do... I have a buddy that says he can fix them though...

Ian
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwords."
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I have had xboxes dating back to the original (core) system; I've never had a single disk eaten...

Let me guess, you stand yours up vs laying it down... Where you CAN do that, it's not really recommended...

And you can buy a disk resurfacer and not have to buy new disks... or a squaretrade warranty i think even covers games for like $10...

They do make pads to install in the dvd drive (though that involves opening the xbox which voids your warranty) that make it so that they don't spin freely when you set the xboxes on their ends.

Still prefer the xbox to my old ps3 lol

G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Too bad, if you had an xbox you could play with me...

I bet you say that to all the boys in the park, roflmao

I am perfectly happy with my PS3.
That is all I have to say.

Blue Man Group
G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
I've got both, and a Wii. I'm really waiting for the Kinect for the Xbox.

G
stranger
stranger
G Offline
They both have their strengths.

xbox: bigger catalogue of games, better online functionality...the xbox controller triggers are better than the ps3 ones in my opinion.

ps3: great first party exclusives, blu ray movies, media server functionality.

buy both and get the best of both worlds...thats what i have.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
They both have media center functions; the xbox can read from a windows media center install on a computer on the network and can read from any uPnP stream on the network.

They both have exclusive titles (Little Big Planet for Sony for an example and Halo for the XBox).

PSN (the online service for the xbox) is free, however it sucks and a lot of the items you'd otherwise get included in your subscription to Xbox Live you would get nickel and dimed for on PSN.

Old Hand
Old Hand
my PS3 can read from windows media center and uPnP also.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Bad Frog
my PS3 can read from windows media center and uPnP also.
Well, I was commenting on his reference to the "positive" about the ps3 was that it could read from media centers that the XBox could do it too tongue

I've owned both PS3 and XBox over the years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29