Print Thread
Hop To
#234872 02/15/2010 7:11 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
Hello,
I see a lot of interes around UBB 8, but I could not find a date (or a predicted date) for the release of UBB 8.
I am also very excited about the idea of having some designers that will add some new themes to UBB 8 (at least Rick mentioned this), but can you have some Designs (themes) also for version 7.5 until 8 will be released?

abrahaj #234873 02/15/2010 7:52 AM
addict
addict
Well a great place to get other styles for 7.x would be UBBskins A release ETA for UBBv8 has not been announced (to the best of my knowledge).

Dunny #234876 02/15/2010 11:53 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
We don't have an ETA yet, but I can repeat what I had sent out in the latest newsletter. We're roughly halfway done with the front end update, and that's really only in about 1 months time. In contrast to the control panel when I was developing solo which took several months.

That doesn't necessarily mean that we're 1 month away from being finished, since obviously there will still be more to do, but it's just an idea of our progression now.

For 7.x, any skins created or made available will have to come from the community. All of our focus is being put into version 8.

Rick #236363 04/23/2010 6:36 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
I would like to ask again about an ETA. smile Forgive me for the insisting, but I would like to know when this new version will be available

abrahaj #236364 04/23/2010 9:10 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
there is still no ETA, I'm sure Rick will let us all know when he knows

"No matter where you go, there you are."
"If you can't do something smart, Do something right"
"There are three kinds of people in the world, those who can count, and those who can't"
Bad Frog #236370 04/23/2010 5:19 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd rather have it done right than done fast...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #236371 04/23/2010 5:28 PM
G
veteran
veteran
G Offline
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I'd rather have it done right than done fast...

Same here!

abrahaj #239843 10/06/2010 8:44 AM
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
Hey guys,

Any news on the 8-th version?
It's kinda frustrating to purchase a license waiting for a major release to come, only to find out that another year has gone by.

An ETA would be useful to find out whether it's worth the wait or if I should switch to another BB software. I suppose developers already have some roadmap with a timeframe. Otherwise I would start to think badly of their working culture while we clients stay on our heels. It's called ETA because it's an estimation, not a fixed date that causes you to rush :-)

So, where are we? Halfway? Three quarter? Alpha? Or nada?

abrahaj #239844 10/06/2010 8:49 AM
A
stranger
stranger
A Offline
[censored] the ETA!
One year licence renewed for no update, no change ... for nothing!!!
While other forums are being well supported, the only activity here is to get some bucks from Hosting!
I am packing and leaving UBB! It was so stupif from my site to renew my licence in the last 5 years for nothing!

abrahaj #239845 10/06/2010 10:05 AM
N
Naz Offline
N Offline
We just need to hang on just a little longer, from what I understand we are on the brink of private beta testing. Rick and his team are working very hard to turn out a big major upgrade which would be a complete overhaul of the existing product. The Hosting aspect took a short amount of time to set up and I don't believe it's fair to use this against anything.

All credits go out to Rick for listening and taking feedback from his customer base whilst working on this major overhaul which as I understand is nearing completion.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
abrahaj #239846 10/06/2010 11:20 AM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
While it has taken a bit longer than we'd hoped we're getting close to a full on private beta with public testing coming afterward. We're definitely over 3/4 done. The actual business transition was one of the primary setbacks as there were a few things we had to work through that took away from development time, but needed to be done to set us up solidly for the future.

A rough ETA would be about the end of the year I think. If it were to happen to go over that, we will backdate the release to the end of the year. So anyone that purchased at the beginning of this year will still be able to download without needing to renew their members area access, but we hope that won't be necessary.

For anyone that might be thinking that the hosting is taking away from development time, it just isn't so. It's being run mainly by Erin, who isn't developing UBB, and others on staff fill in on the support roles during off hours when not developing.

abrahaj #239848 10/06/2010 1:27 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Rick and crew just took over from the previous owners and have been actively working on the CURRENT version (7.5.5, 7.5.6); and v8 (and v8 is actively in alpha testing).

There has been no announced ETA due to previous short falls and people freaking out because of them, it'll be out when it's out, we all want a quality product, not something that's been rushed.

Rick has been actively providing screen-shots and updates via the announcements forum, it's not vaporware, we can all see that it's being actively developed.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
abrahaj #239849 10/06/2010 1:48 PM
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
Originally Posted by abrahaj
[censored] the ETA!
While other forums are being well supported, the only activity here is to get some bucks from Hosting!
I am packing and leaving UBB! It was so stupif from my site to renew my licence in the last 5 years for nothing!

While I can appreciate your frustration I think you honestly need to lower your expectations a bit. $59 to upgrade a license is nothing compared to the nightmare of having a forum software that is constantly not working, or hacked for that matter. Long time ago we too looked at going to a different forum, in fact twice (no offense Rick), but the reality was the grass was not greener on the other side, it was usually worse. Rick has taken over UBB from Infopop and hired developers....... during a major recession. He deserves a lot of credit for believing in it this much. This isn't vaporware, it's a huge upgrade. Did you throw your window computer out the window every time Microsoft didn't deliver a release on time? Which happens to be every time?

Cheers.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
abrahaj #239850 10/06/2010 3:43 PM
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
Originally Posted by abrahaj
[censored] the ETA!

If you go to vBulletin 4, you will greatly regret it. vBulletin 4 is very buggy, slow, and unstable. Just wait for UBB.threads version 8. Rick has stated that if v8 doesn't get released by the end of the year, he will date it to the end of the year and you will still be able to download v8 even if you don't renew your license.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 10/06/2010 3:43 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,073 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29