Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#242185 03/14/2011 12:22 AM
R
R Offline
I established a user group, put a guy in it. Went to two places to give permissions in that particular forum, group management and forum permissions.

He tries to use the permissions he sees and it says he has to be an admin. I took his word for it. I did "Become" him and I saw that what I wanted him to be be able to do - move posts to other topics when they became thread jacks, was there. In other words, move/merge is there.

It just doesn't work. What did I do wrong?

Larry

Last edited by razor_head; 03/14/2011 12:23 AM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You could try having him log in and log back out; but if the permissions work when you become him he's likely pulling your chain to get permissions he doesn't need...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
R Offline

No, the permission boxes were there, they just didn't work. And he did log out and log back in. I made him a mod and all is good. We are talking about the Therapist who posts on our board, so we are not talking about a poser Gizmo. I would make the guy an admin if he would take it - but he won't.

What happens is that people ask him questions on the wrong thread and he wants to move them where they need to be and answer them.

I probably did something wrong.

Larry

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Why not just make him a global mod? Basically they're mods of every forum who you can delegate admin functions to...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
R Offline

I made him a mod for that forum. He doesn't like the green name, but he will live with it so he can get the functions he wants.

Thanks Gizmo.

For whatever it is worth, we have a bunch of plans for social conditioning on the forum in the forum of various privileges for various people for various purposes. We await v8 to see if we want to do custom to it or 7.5.x and forget v8.

Larry

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can change the color associated with Global Mods in the style editor for whatever styles you're using, I think it's under "misc".

It's not too difficult to setup permissions but can take some time to fine tune them; if you don't feel comfortable with it it's a task you can definitely hire out to make sure it's setup properly.

R
R Offline

Teal is a washed out color. I went in and changed it to <html> bold. We don't have any problem with permissions. The only one we have had is giving permissions to a normal user who then could not use the permissions allocated to them.

We have half a dozen special categories for various purposes, such as reading but not posting for our hammerheads in durance vile (Penalty Box), pre-approved posting for those we suspect of being spammers, and the like. All of it works just fine, except when we attempt to give moderator permissions to a member in a single forum - that doesn't work. We had to make them a mod.

Don't know why. *shrug*

At some point, we are going to start looking at modifying for special features - v8? or 7.5.x? Dunno yet. That is when we will be looking for help, most likely.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 744 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29