Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Greetings UBB'ers!

I had someone delete the forum directories from both server and local roots via ftp by mistake. They had named another set of directories the same and after I asked them to correct the issue without thinking they just deleted them to start over instead of a rename... yeah...

They deleted the wrong two...

I am re-customizing the UBB as the back-up was not updated for the day but it caused my New Forums to display and work normaly but they are not found in drop downs and such. Not in the Forums control panel either. If I recreate it might re-number them and not help so just wondered if anyone has had this problem before and might could suggest a remedy while I work on other issues til then. If I remedy it before hand will reply.

Ancient and Honourable, John West.
That should a easy thing to fix.
Just ftp the virgin files to the site from a install zip.
Then you need to create the config.inc.php file and edit the file for paths dbase etc..(the hard part).
Gizmo posted a generic one here somewhere.
If I find it i will post the link.
Then after that best practice is to go through all the options in the control panel and save even if it looks correct.

One thing you could or will loose is going to be things such as file attachments,avatars, images, extra styles other than stock.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Thanks Ruben.

As usual when you are in a hurry and return to re-read it is not quite what you meant.

I had a back-up and everything is fine except a few Forums added after the install. They are the ones not showing up. I will continue to ponder as I have had a ruff week and when tired - well you know.

Thanks again. And if you think of what I am "trying" to say post it...

HOLD THE PRESS: They just returned to the drop down list. I guess I am going to have to add a delay to my tool bag because it appears the new windows 7 and browser combo's are not reacting instantly to changes. Cache - browser - database - directory changes as a group seem to be delayed. One hour after I engaged the proper procedure I finally see the results.

Oh well. Anyway I did look just before posting and it changed as I was posting now.

Later Ruben and the gang...

Now watch me go to it and there is another (insert something stupid here) What fun...

The way you need to think of this issue is it is like moving to a new host.
All the forums are stored in the database. So all you do is just edit the config,inc.php file to point to the database as well as the user and password.

I have no clue on what you mean by drop down.
Unless you have collapsed a category on the summary page.

But it appears that you had a browser cache issue and figured it out.

Blue Man Group
::UPDATE::

Hung a big sign: NO DUPLICATE DIRECTORY NAMES IN ANY ONE SERVER!

I hung it by head butting the wall and using a chip clip to attach it to the drywall in the hole.

Meanwhile the lesson for us here is patience with the new stuff as we get used to the lightning fast we never had before.

Everything is working now and all I lost was time and four images it won't let me load because it says I have used my 8M limit - I am about to fix that now...#@(.)!+~~~ ":^(

Otay [censored]!

Blue Man Group
When you go to select what forums to post news to the portal page from you toggle a dropdown list to select them. When you go to jump to another forum you toggle a dropdown list. Those Ruben - All drop down lists. The new forums had disappeared from those for a while. (Shrug)

Thanks again. See you soon! LOL>

Have you 8 yet?

That is going to be my new signature! V8.0

Okay I got it now.

Still would suggest the best practice of saving each control panel view even if it looks correct.

Blue Man Group
The good ole days!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben), 694 guests, and 214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29