Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S Offline
I personally would like to see in ver 7:

~ A bridge to free gallery implementation such as coppermine

~ A better way to implement UBB threads into websites, maybe there could be a few templates or tables to help add headers, sidebars, and footers around the forum.

~ A built in poster column such as in version 6 (classic)

T
tee Offline
journeyman
journeyman
T Offline
I like it. Looking for replies in a long thread can be a bear sometimes.

enthusiast
enthusiast
An integrated chat room. Something simple similar to the FlashChat script I use perhaps with simple features like text color, text size and Smilies.

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think a chat service would be a large item that not many people would partake in... Which would require a lot of work to maintain in the core code

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
N
Naz Offline
N Offline
How about giving admins the option of switching a particular post into a browser's viewport. So when it comes to editing a post the admin is given the option of entering a URL and the web page is rendered within that particular post, with the remaining posts maintaining their normal behavior.

Last edited by Naz; 06/12/2011 10:46 AM.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I think a chat service would be a large item that not many people would partake in... Which would require a lot of work to maintain in the core code

I'm with Giz on this one. I've tried chat rooms and they were all largely ignored. The only time I could see them as being needed was if you had numerous people on at one time that knew each other. But, I know I'll not use one again.

Greg AKA Virgil Earp at the OK Corral
Tombstone, AZ
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gizmo

Granted, but my chat room gets some use but not much. Integrating FlashChat works very well for me so no biggie. Just thought I would throw it up there.

Here's a silly question (since I know nothing about software or UBB code) how much of a stretch is it between a "Shout Box" and a chat room? I am sure there is a big difference but couldn't a shout box be modified to behave like a chat?

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
addict
addict
FordDoctor I use gizmo's chat integrated into my forum boards. It is the pjirc script and it integrates well into my forums. I run my own IRC server/sevices (because I am paranoid of using big name IRC's etc) and it works great as a customer support channel. As for integrating it in as a need to turn on or turn off I agree with Gizmo, it really depends on your individual usage. There are other ways to get the same thing (i.e. your flash chat or even the naked shoutbox).

Dunny

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by FordDoctor
Here's a silly question (since I know nothing about software or UBB code) how much of a stretch is it between a "Shout Box" and a chat room? I am sure there is a big difference but couldn't a shout box be modified to behave like a chat?
Well, you could raise the "post limit" so it wouldn't purge old messages so fast (i think it's hardcoded at like 25)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
tee Offline
journeyman
journeyman
T Offline
I think it would be great for the community if there was a more detailed Administration Guide and User Manual.
Perhaps, once things are a bit more settled, Admin Sections etc could be broken into parts and we could contribute our experiences and procedures that worked for us to create really comprehensive Manuals. That would take certainly free up some time for the support experts.
Just an idea.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Rick talked to me at one point about getting a wiki in place here on UBBCentral for v8; I'm hoping that's still the case...

G
G Offline
High on my wishlist is full UTF8-support (I can give a list of places where fixes are needed on request, possibly even patches).

Also the start of an integration API would be nice. Login/Logout and create user at least. It would it much easier to integrate with other software.

aka Olle Johansson
N
Naz Offline
N Offline
Originally Posted by UBBSystems
.....v8 is need quiet a bit of work, and bringing new features and fixes to the current software is in the best interest of everyone at this point.

thanks!

Brooks

Welcome on board Brook.

For me, rather than new features, what interested me was for the user to have maximum flexibility in terms of changing the user interface look and feel, and as I understand that that was one of the main idea behind v8 - I sincerely hope that v8 is not simply shelved, can you please Brook, confirm that work on v8 will happen in parallel and that it want be just shelved - thanks and wish you all the best.

Last edited by Naz; 06/13/2011 9:36 AM.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Gardener
High on my wishlist is full UTF8-support (I can give a list of places where fixes are needed on request, possibly even patches).
Agree completely; in fact, post what you feel would be needed, and I'll pester wink.

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Here is my one and only request:

Allow users to post images in any forum - just like a gallery forum. When my users load a photo into the general photo gallery, they inevitably start discussing it in the gallery - instead of in the appropriate sub-forum. Or, if they do post the pictures in the gallery and paste the link into the correct thread, somebody else comments on the original photo, and then you've got two parallel discussions.

Thank you,
Evan

Just fix the Bugs . . .

1) Who's on line island does not show recent only A-Z mix and ive had that for years. . . https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u..._4_2_Who_s_Online_Island.html#Post232967

2) RSS Feeds i think they need a look at, as i'm getting mixed forums where it shouldn't be. (output).
3) Removing a moderator you have to (i have to) use the CTRL + Select there forums from there profile. The Moderators list add remove per forum does not work. (Moderator Settings Page).
4) If i modify a users profile via the control panel as admin, and use the update member. They loose any custom title images. And i have to ask them to visit there profile and enable them again.
5) Moving threads that are sticky under inline moderation looses them. ( I think its removing there stickyness when moved).
6) You can move a Post into a gallery forum but you cant get rid of it. Its stuck. https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...2_Moved_a_Normal_Topic_i.html#Post235049

Would like to see :
Notify a post ALL IN ONE PLACE not emails only.
image placement in a post.
multiple uploads at a time

Apart from that its pretty neat smile

Good Luck rick and hi to the new owner smile

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Mark S
Just fix the Bugs . . .

2) RSS Feeds i think they need a look at.

There is also a bug in the path to the Graemlins on the RSS feeds.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hi Mark. Where ya been?

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C Offline
One suggestion that occurred to me.

I'd like to see the Tweet button shorten the URL through bit.ly versus the standard t.co shortener so that I have better tracking. This would require using the bit.ly API and I'm guessing you would have to have a field for the individuals API key.

Won't you take me to Funkytown?
M
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
Would agree on RSS feeds. Updates to them do not happen as scheduled.

Mike

Mike Wilson
Bowl-Tech Inc.
http://www.bowltech.com
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by cascadeclimbers
I'd like to see the Tweet button shorten the URL through bit.ly versus the standard t.co shortener so that I have better tracking. This would require using the bit.ly API and I'm guessing you would have to have a field for the individuals API key.
I actually like this idea fyi; I'd like to see an "API Keys" section of the CP eventually (to keep things tidy) so we can work on expanding things with plugins which would need api keys.

Originally Posted by David Dreezer
I want a Ruben-bot for Ruben smile

Anytime someone asks a question that has been answered over and over again the Ruben bot searches the database for similar questions and displays links for possible answers.

Oooooh! I like this ... I might call it something other than Ruben wink ... but I like this a lot!

~Sue <-- deals with way too many repeat questions!

E
journeyman
journeyman
E Offline
I am coming into this late, but have been using UBB since 2001, as well my forum currently has 54,100+ members. I have invested a lot in UBB to add features and fixes that are not currently available. (Thanks Gizmo)

My forum brings in a fair amount of income, enough to live off of, so monetization is important to me. Whether that means the custom ad spaces I have installed or the subscription side of things, this is part of keeping my forum viable. So I want to see a more robust subscription service one with more controls on how I can manage the payments. Unfortunately in my world Pay Pal is a problem. Many of my members will simply not use Pay Pal as well Pay Pal would not all me to expand because my focus is not supported by them. So the ability to drop in something like Authorize.net for payments would be great. I would like to make this as seamless as possible. Being able to handle my commercial vendors through the site's payment process would be great, but needs to be more robust. If they want to sign up to be a commercial vendor, they can do it through Subscribe but not everyone will use Pay Pal.

The Mobile platform support is a must, believe me, a month doesn't go by I don't look at other forum offerings that handle mobile viewing better. I consider taking the plunge and moving over too often because of the delays here. Incremental updates are fine, especially if they address the features and needs that keep my forum popular, but they have to happen.

The email suggestions are great, I use iContact right now because the UBB email system is just plain weak. If I can eliminate that expense and be able to stay in contact with all my users, and not just an affordable 15,000, that helps a lot. it's about giving people a single stop. My members are extremely loyal, we have done surveys and they spend days on the site, not just hours. If they can manage more though the site, like messaging and emails, the better for me. So a more robust email system would be great.

With that, the Shout Box is huge for a lot of my members, they love it. But lately the shout box is going in and out, not working randomly and no one seems to have an answer, other than the usually browser issues. These browser issues have to be addressed. Everyday I have to tell people their log in stopped working because of IE, so try Firefox or Chrome because the glitches in IE are outta my control. That is my number one issue... inconsistency in the platform with IE. Someone can log on today, not tomorrow, switch browsers they are back on. Unacceptable.

I would much rather more business based features being available because smiley faces don't pay the bills. Keeping people engaged, logged in and stable does. In my case, content is easy, so, I need people staying on the site and not being kicked off. Subscriptions work, so now I need to expand the control and options for managing them. Same with the ads. If i can add more revenue, I am more likely to stick around, but if another forum software is adding more revenue based features, at some point, even after 10 years of investment in UBB, it might be time to jump ship.

I have paid outside developers to combine my WP Database with UBB, as well I have added social logins, this stuff should be available natively, and not require a year's hosting to get it off the ground. UBB needs to be play better with these things, like Tapatalk which I get an email about every other week. I would just like to see UBB is moving forward in a direction that helps, and not just smiles. People really like the navigation and clean feel of UBB, so putting this stuff in the CP would be awesome.

Thanks,

EL,
Sniper's Hide

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Makes me smile to see everyone thank me randomly :x... Don't worry though, eventhough I have an account with several of the "other products" I still plan to be around here as it's my first love (as far as software love goes).

you deserve the kudos bro

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Chosen
The most important thing to me is the API.

Agreed!

No matter what you'll implement in the future , remember to API-ize everything .
When you read a lot of features proposed in this thread , please think "Can it be designed into API and implemented by others ?" first.
If the feature request is not so imperative , please leave it in API . The architecture re-design is the most important of all !

These APIs may include types of grabbing-info or event-notifying .
Such as 'getting-latest-user' or 'notify-user-post'
And , remember , these API should be language-neutral. That is , HTTP-based . (RESTful , please !)

2nd thing : cache everything ! Please incorporate memcached !

3rd : DB normalization ! There are some db-design problems in the current version.
for example : USER_IGNORE_LIST should be split from ubbt_USER_PROFILE

Dig deeper and you'll find more...

Best Regards.

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As it's a non-standard module (PECL module in fact) I'd advise against memcached as not all users should expect it to be installed on any server.

enthusiast
enthusiast
FYI : http://pecl.php.net/package/memcached
BTW , memcached server is not written in PHP . In fact , it seems no cache server is implemented in PHP. Cache server behaves as a standalone process in the system, which is almost impossible to write in PHP code.
PECL only provides a client library to connect to memcached server.

Anyway , no matter what cache solution being incorporated , please just add one cache layer atop the db layer.

No matter memcached or other solutions are OK. Please just don't directly call DB in each request.

If no caching server specified in the config , then call DB directly.

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
Sysop
Sysop
Great suggestions, we will be bringing it all together with Gizmo and Sirdude to setup a plan for a 7.6 release.....

RE: memcache, We've written other solutions that check for the presence of a memcache install and use it if available...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In my opinion, the bug that keeps those using IE from logging in needs to be fixed or the software is useless. Be it an IE bug or UBB bug, there needs to be a fix so people can log in. This apparently has been around for a while and got much worse with IE 8 and 9. I can't login here at all from the office and I get emails weekly from users who can't log in.

I have to login via photopost on my personal forum, so I know it can be done.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
R
R Offline

We had a problem with logins and Rick did something that seemed to have fixed it.

Larry
www.marriageadvocates.com

journeyman
journeyman
I had SirDude add Image upload on my forum. Works really well thanks SD.

Mobile format.

There were so many good suggestions.

Originally Posted by UBBSystems
Great suggestions, we will be bringing it all together with Gizmo and Sirdude to setup a plan for a 7.6 release.....

RE: memcache, We've written other solutions that check for the presence of a memcache install and use it if available...
Posted on 06/20/2011.
Any updates?

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
I would like the ability for users who register on my forum to also be registered on Worpress at the same time.

E
journeyman
journeyman
E Offline
Originally Posted by SGHB1138
I would like the ability for users who register on my forum to also be registered on Worpress at the same time.

I had an outside company do this, it required losing one database to combine the two, so I ditched the WP database and now it is linked with UBB. It wasn't easy, and took a bit of time to work out, but now I have a combined database. There was no smooth transition that is for sure. But since I have 50k+ members in UBB and only 5k in WP, I opted to sacrifice them.

Now you can use your UBB log on with WP but you still have to log in separately.

Right.

I think what I may do is just let 'em register on UBB and then give 'em the same log-in info in WP if they wish to be added.

smile

Thanks for the response.

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Very simple feature that I would REALLY like:

Prev and Next buttons in Photo Galleries.
When a photo gallery post contains more that a screen worth of thumbnails you can't choose the next photo unless you scroll down, and then scroll back up to see it - very cumbersome.
A simple Prev and Next buttom would do the trick nicely!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I would love to see the gallery updated, more specifically I'd love to see it use something like Lightbox (Example Here (click on an image)).

R
journeyman
journeyman
R Offline
I would love for the photo gallery to be updated and include the features of SirDude's app. I especially need the gallery to be able to self update by calendar date when displayed as an island. I also like the multiple photo upload selection as in IP Board forum software, where many photos can be selected and uploaded at once.

I am also in favor of Android and IOS users being able to post photos, which is currently not available.

I would also like to see an Admin area with some built in "security" features such as:

1. The ability to see exactly what a member's activities have been on the board. What they have been reading within a specific time period.

2. From time to time, we get known troublemaker members, attempting to resignup, and members sharing their accounts, and members with login info that has been compromised, and THEY usually don't know it (neither do we). If there were an interface in control panel, or a plug in, it would help with those issues. There is a similar feature built in, which tracks members logging in from the same IP, this would track members signing in from MULTIPLE IPs, with possible the added feature of letting us know if they could have traveled that far (to the geographical location of the IP) in the time span of the logins.

And lastly, a column with the posters name instead of it being underneath the thread title.

journeyman
journeyman
My one suggestion that has always been most important to me is in the following post:

https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/u...ion_of_Locked_Closed_thr.html#Post219858

For the sake of saving a click, it's basically as follows:

I think it would be great if there was more inclusion of the OPEN/CLOSED status of threads.

Example locations for this would be on the advanced search page, and in the Display Options for postlist (a check for "hide locked topics", etc.)

Should be easily accomplished by adding a ubbt_topics.TOPIC_STATUS = 'O' to the WHERE clauses in the queries (with board-specific appropriate prefix, of course.... just provided for examples sake.)

It would a great way to only search and view topics that can still be participated in while not getting topics that are locked/closed.

Every time I upgrade, I have to re-inject my custom code kludges. I would be overjoyed it this were to make it (back?) into a future version.

Thanks,
Tim

UBB Since November 07, 2000.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29