Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T Offline
The owner of our website was going to have it "archived."

I don't really know what that means.

My question is how easy it to have a live forum on a website that has been archived?

I ask becasue he wants to sell off the whole website, forum included in one package.

Our owner is wonderful, but he's been past retirement age, way overworked. Concerned about how much trouble this would be for him/us.

thanks inadvance for this answer,
and thanks again for past answers,

addict
addict
This isn't hard as long as he wants to give up the license. Truthfully, if he just gave you the database, the truth is that you could get your own ubb license and start it right back up. If he gave you the folders etc. then you would have the same site in essence. It takes about 10 minutes to set up.

Dunny

J
stranger
stranger
J Offline
Well the only way to archive a ubb site would be to edit permissions to not allow posts or replies. Since there is not a archive feature built in.
So just grabbing the site. Via ftp and Mysql database would circumvent the issue.

T
T Offline
Hi "jerk"

thanks for replying. but over my head

smile

T
T Offline
Hi Dunny,

Thanks for the response.

But i wasn't explaining myself well. My question wasn't clear.

I already know about the license transfering and "migrating" the forum. I will not be taking over the entire site -- not possible. Hence i wont own the forum. And the new owner will (presumably) "archive" it.

But my question really was about "archiving" a site. What is an archived site? Is it possible to keep a forum active on the new owner's "archived site?" Or will the forum need to be frozen -- no new posts, just a place available to look at?

Basically i want to know if there's any reason for us to try to convince the new owner to keep the forum alive IF we already know that it will be archived?

Again thanks for your patience.

tacks

Last edited by tacks; 11/20/2011 9:52 PM. Reason: clarity & extra longwindedness
addict
addict
I have an archived site, and to archive it I just set permissions for writhing to it by users, mods to 0. That way they could still be seen and read, but not have any new posts. I don't know if there is actually a way to archive a board (other than just saving the DB somewhere) unless you just turn off write permissions to it.

So I would say to ask him not to archive it if there is still an interest in them.

(Understand though I honestly am not the expert on that, I am about 80% sure this is true, but there are others here that know way more than I do).

Dunny

T
T Offline
Thanks again, Dunny

Originally Posted by Dunny
(Understand though I honestly am not the expert on that....

grin grin

You might not be an expert (i wouldn't know). But i'm having a hard time asking a simple question.

grin grin grin

Might be that may lack of understanding the term "archive" and other tech terms is preventing you from understanding what i'm asking.

The vast majority of the webstie is primarily a news site. We have a small forum attached, small but with sentimental value.

Can the "archived," read only, big newsite have a small section which is live and interactive?

At this point i'm thinking no. But i'm not sure.

Again, the site's owner is older and wonderful but he admits to not being up on the tech stuff like he used to be. He's not sure how his newsite will be be preserved. (don't want to name it publicly but it's a big one)

again thanks for your patience,

tacks

addict
addict
Actually, yes you could have a small subforum where the main "archived" forum was unwritable by users and have a subforum of that forum which could theoretically do as you are asking I think.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Havenofsobriety, rootman), 624 guests, and 106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29